Blaze King choice is driving me crazey!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it is outragous to think they can markup stoves 50% or more in this economy. If Wet1 is from CT then he probaly called the same dealer I did as there is only 1 in CT or anywhere around here. Last year I was deciding between the Blaze King Princess Parlor stove and the Woodstock Fireview. I really liked both stoves in different ways but for me it came down to economics. The Princess is $3300 + tax and as the dealer said "they never go on sale" or the Fireview which can readily be had for some type of discount. It's too bad for Blaze King because they could have had a customer if their stove was more inline with the market. Think about it, besides the Cat, it is just an ugly steel stove.

Update 3 - I think I mentioned earlier in here have my local guy down to $2375 for the Princes Ultra he has set up in his display room. As suggested buy a few others here and in other threads I have been investigating Buck Stoves also. The closest dealer for them to me is about 35 miles away in NJ. Over the phone they quoted me $2399 for the Buck 91 Freestanding stove. I'm at least going to go look at it as they have one in stock. I'll keep ya posted on what I decide if and when it happens.

We just replaced our 31 yr old non-cat BK King with a new King model so your post drew attention to my pipe. I have 25" to my 1st 45, i didn't think anything of it just took old stove out and put new in. Anyway i fired it up a few nights ago for the first time after reading this post, just to make sure it works ok, don't want to wait and find out when its 0 outside that i have a problem. Our old stove drafted real good, but it seemed that this one was having a hard time keeping the cat going it was like it was chokin its self out. So i called BK today and told them what it was doing and they told me the King will not burn right with with under 30" of pipe before the first 45, at least 36" is best with the King, but you can get away with a little less with the princess. So it looks like i"m changing things a bit next week. I hope this helps anyone that was wondering.

Well I guess Auto Rain did get slapped. I was getting ready to purchase a BKK from them today and when I went back to the website to price out a few other options....I realized the price ($2250 for a BKK ultra w. satin) shot up about $750 to $2950 as of this morning! I'm certain of this change because I have the print out from yesterday that I showed my wife. This really sucks, particularly because now my only option is to buy a stove from a local dealer....who quoted me 3700 for the same stove! OK, I know he's got freight in there...so give him 350 for that...but he's still $1100 higher than AR was...then add TAX! At least we all know now that dealer cost is less than $2250. Maybe I should find another stove. I wonder what markup is on the Equinox?

I wish it was easier to find a dealer willing to deal. Everyone has to make a buck...but that is plan nuts. None of the local dealers will budge. I would buy a plane ticket to Washington and buy the stove in person if I could get it for $2,250...then ship it back on my own.

-mark

Manatarms said:
Well I guess Auto Rain did get slapped. I was getting ready to purchase a BKK from them today and when I went back to the website to price out a few other options....I realized the price ($2250 for a BKK ultra w. satin) shot up about $750 to $2950 as of this morning! I'm certain of this change because I have the print out from yesterday that I showed my wife. This really sucks, particularly because now my only option is to buy a stove from a local dealer....who quoted me 3700 for the same stove! OK, I know he's got freight in there...so give him 350 for that...but he's still $1100 higher than AR was...then add TAX! At least we all know now that dealer cost is less than $2250. Maybe I should find another stove. I wonder what markup is on the Equinox?

I wish it was easier to find a dealer willing to deal. Everyone has to make a buck...but that is plan nuts. None of the local dealers will budge. I would buy a plane ticket to Washington and buy the stove in person if I could get it for $2,250...then ship it back on my own.

-mark

Can you still buy from Auto Rain? $2950 is still a good price, there's no tax, and you get $885 back for Fed tax credit. Get the stove you want, it will eventually pay for itself. Mark up on most stoves is around 40%.

When I called them they told me if I wanted a blaze King I would have to come into there store.

If you fly to WA to buy the BKK you will need to pay our 8-10% sales tax. If you can find an Oregon (maybe Idaho as well) dealer then you won't pay sales tax. First step would be to talk to some NW dealers over the actual phone and see what they will do for you. They aren't going to put anything in writing that breaks the BK rules.

Heck, take a flight out here anyway it's a nice time to visit. 75 degree days and 55 degree nights.

jdscj8 said:
We just replaced our 31 yr old non-cat BK King with a new King model so your post drew attention to my pipe. I have 25" to my 1st 45, i didn't think anything of it just took old stove out and put new in. Anyway i fired it up a few nights ago for the first time after reading this post, just to make sure it works ok, don't want to wait and find out when its 0 outside that i have a problem. Our old stove drafted real good, but it seemed that this one was having a hard time keeping the cat going it was like it was chokin its self out. So i called BK today and told them what it was doing and they told me the King will not burn right with with under 30" of pipe before the first 45, at least 36" is best with the King, but you can get away with a little less with the princess. So it looks like i"m changing things a bit next week. I hope this helps anyone that was wondering.

jdscj8 - Fill us in on your setup and what the temp was outside when you tried to fire the new BK up? Did you install the stove with double wall pipe or single wall from the stove? Does the pipe go through a wall/thimble to an outside chimney. What size is the chimney flue?

Ok, so i had a major brain fart the other night, while cleaning the gutters out today i remembered i have a plug that i put in the top of the chimney over summer, and i was so exited to get the new stove fired up that i forgot to take it out, so im going to try it again here real soon and will let you all know what happens. The old stove ran just fine for 31 years i cant see this one running any different, but we'll see. Sorry about the post before it was not accurate. Anyway sure, it was 40 deg f out, i have 8” double wall pipe that goes up 25” into the first 45, then 10” of double wall and another 45, then 8” of double wall into my 8” to 7” reducer into my 7” class A pipe at the wall/thimble then 12” out into a “T”/cleanout then up 30’, 30 years ago when my grandfather installed the old BK, 7” class A pipe was really popular, when i had talked to BK in the past they said 7” was fine and wasn’t going to be a problem. JD

jdscj8 said:
Ok, so i had a major brain fart the other night, while cleaning the gutters out today i remembered i have a plug that i put in the top of the chimney over summer, and i was so exited to get the new stove fired up that i forgot to take it out, so im going to try it again here real soon and will let you all know what happens. The old stove ran just fine for 31 years i cant see this one running any different, but we'll see. Sorry about the post before it was not accurate. Anyway sure, it was 40 deg f out, i have 8” double wall pipe that goes up 25” into the first 45, then 10” of double wall and another 45, then 8” of double wall into my 8” to 7” reducer into my 7” class A pipe at the wall/thimble then 12” out into a “T”/cleanout then up 30’, 30 years ago when my grandfather installed the old BK, 7” class A pipe was really popular, when i had talked to BK in the past they said 7” was fine and wasn’t going to be a problem. JD

You're new stove, in full cat mode, will deliver significantly lower flue temps which reduces draft.

Bigg_Redd said:
You're new stove, in full cat mode, will deliver significantly lower flue temps which reduces draft.

I'm a little confused by all this. For 20 years I've run a Dutchwest catalytic, with about 5ft
of single-wall chimney connector, and it has worked just fine. (I have asked in these
forums about a subtle smoke odor I get during low burns, and maybe this is due to
poor draft and would be helped with double-wall connector; however, I did not have
this problem for at least the first decade I used the stove, so I've assumed leaky
joints in the stove was the culprit).

Anyhow, I guess the flue gases are not that low, because with intense burns, with the
cat clearly working hard (cat temp 1400 or so), the flue gases are hot enough that
the Class A chimney (i have access to it in my loft after it passes through the ceiling
above the stove and below the loft) gets too hot to touch for very long (you can put
your hand on it, but you wouldn't want to leave it there for very long).

So, am I really to believe that my new BK Princess (when I actually get one) will
deliver flue gases that much cooler, even though it's essentially the same
technology ? I guess I'll see. Meanwhile, I intend to start with a single-wall
connector and see how it does, retaining the option to go double-wall later.

The flue gases with the BK will be at 250F or less once the load settles down for 85% of the burn on med to low settings. The Idea is to keep the heat in the stove when properly operating. This is why the attempt is to go double wall to maintain minimum flue temp as there is all that is left. 212F at atmosphere assuming your at sea level. At higher elevations it takes a lower temp to maintain a none condensing flue gas. Remember it takes less heat to boil water at a higher elevation.

Highbeam said:
If you fly to WA to buy the BKK you will need to pay our 8-10% sales tax. If you can find an Oregon (maybe Idaho as well) dealer then you won't pay sales tax. First step would be to talk to some NW dealers over the actual phone and see what they will do for you. They aren't going to put anything in writing that breaks the BK rules.

Heck, take a flight out here anyway it's a nice time to visit. 75 degree days and 55 degree nights.

Well, no need for me to fly. Despite all my complaining about prices...a local dealer sold me a display model BKK parlour with satin door, satin legs, satin rails and fan kit for $2200. Needless to say I'm thrilled!!!!

Now I just need to get the chimney figured out!

-Mark

WOW, that was a good price. Thats how much they all should be from a dealer ;-P , Congrates JD

Manatarms said:
Highbeam said:

Well, no need for me to fly. Despite all my complaining about prices...a local dealer sold me a display model BKK parlour with satin door, satin legs, satin rails and fan kit for $2200. Needless to say I'm thrilled!!!!

-Mark
Congrats Mark... great deal!

Make that 2 New Blaze King Owners! :coolsmile:

After too much procrastination I finally just bit the bullet, King Classic on the way.

Congrats Mark - I'm with ya on figuring out the chimney thing.

learnin to burn said:

After too much procrastination I finally just bit the bullet, King Classic on the way.

Congrats to you too learnin to burn,
and AHaaaa yes the PE summit brethen is finally over. The people are comming to their sences. :coolsmile:

learnin to burn said:

Yo Learnin,
I read your PM before your post.I'm happy for you on your choice.Don't forget use that double wall pipe.Anxious to hear your stove update.Take care.

learnin to burn said:

Congrats to you as well!

Learning,

I think we made a good choice! What is this mention of double wall. Is this for interior pipe?

mark

Manatarms said:
Highbeam said:

-Mark

Score.

We'll need details when you start burning.

Manatarms said:
What is this mention of double wall. Is this for interior pipe?

The manual calls for double wall for the chimney connector with a minimum of 36" vertical rise before any elbows.

Congrats to all you new BK owners. It will be interesting to hear how these Kings burn.

Manatarms said:
Learning,

I think we made a good choice! What is this mention of double wall. Is this for interior pipe?

mark

Yes the double wall pipe (Not Class A chimney) is supposed to come off the top of the stove and extent to what ever your first transition is.

In my case I'm supposed to come off the top of the stove with a strait length of double wall pipe then add 2 - 45 degree double wall pipes and another short section of double wall pipe connected to an 8 inch thimble.

Status
Not open for further replies.