Blaze King Burn times?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

learnin to burn

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Nov 22, 2008
Southeastern, Pa
I currently run a Regency F2400 but it is really undersized for my application. I am strongly considering the large Blaze King King Classic but was wondering about the average burn times you guys were getting from them with soft wood, hard wood, or combination of both.

Thanks

I have the largest model and I'm happy with my heat times.I can sleep all night without needing to get up to feed the stove and go and come from work with the stove still giving off good heat.I've had it heating for 14-15 hrs.before adding more wood.Even though I don't have it hook up to specifications I'm still getting great heat times.The stove has a 8" flue and I'm running it into a 6'' pipe with an adapter.So it's not running as efficient as it could be.Someone who's doing it right will have to chime in for an official overview.

Thanks Rich, 14-15 hours is a lot better than the 4 - 5 hours I'm getting even though most of it was due to wet wood(I think). My work situation has changed a lot so I'm looking at being away from home most days for 15 -16 hours and it would be too much for my wife to try and get down stairs to the stove. I'm looking to heat 2200 - 3000 SQ FT. (basement and main floor) Which is what I am currently doing with the Regency getting temps in the 70-72 deg. range with bedrooms around 65.

If you don't mind what setting are you running it at (low-med-high) and how much space are you heating?

Thanks

I don't know if I believe the 40+ hour burn times, but I have heard of people loading these stoves just once a day which seems more realistic.

Most of the B K burn times we hear reported here are at least from October to April. :)

The 40+ hour burn times are under fairly optimal (lab) conditions. If you're trying to heat 2200 to 3000 sq ft in PA with only the BKK, you're not going to see anything close to 40 hour burn times in the dead of winter. Everybody has a different configuration, wood, heating load, flue, etc, so it's hard to say what you'll see for actual burn times. With that said, I don't think you're going to find a better performing stove or one with longer burn times than the BKK.

Wet1 said:
The 40+ hour burn times are under fairly optimal (lab) conditions. If you're trying to heat 2200 to 3000 sq ft in PA with only the BKK, you're not going to see anything close to 40 hour burn times in the dead of winter. Everybody has a different configuration, wood, heating load, flue, etc, so it's hard to say what you'll see for actual burn times. With that said, I don't think you're going to find a better performing stove or one with longer burn times than the BKK.

Which Blaze King to you have Wet1 and what is the longest burn time you have gotten?

LADYGO DIVA said:
burntime is highly dependent on outdoor temp.

So true...also....burntimes can be all over the board on any wood burner.
How well is the home insulated? What's the heat load,or how cold is it outside?
How many square feet are you trying to heat?
If the thermostat is involved ,how high is it set?
If you have a manual damper,how open is it?
Moisture contents of wood and the density of that wood will change the length of burn times.
Also the size of your splits can vary burn times.
Draft speeds as in ...if a barometric draft regulator(BDR) is installed ,where is it set.
A natural draft can run .08 inches of water column or faster on average.
Having a BDR can slow the draft speed giving you longer burn times.

Depending on what you have for a wood burner it is onlly capable of making so much heat and then exchanging only so much heat.
Units with dense firebrick,a ton of heat exchange surface area,a way to cycle burn times and an after burn through cat or heating up air then introduced over the fire into the smoke typically will give you the longest burn times.

BrotherBart said:
Wet1 said:

Which Blaze King to you have Wet1 and what is the longest burn time you have gotten?
BKK (parlor). Unknown on the longest burn time, but I can tell you loading once a day is very doable at a lower setting.

learnin to burn said:
Thanks Rich, 14-15 hours is a lot better than the 4 - 5 hours I'm getting even though most of it was due to wet wood(I think). My work situation has changed a lot so I'm looking at being away from home most days for 15 -16 hours and it would be too much for my wife to try and get down stairs to the stove. I'm looking to heat 2200 - 3000 SQ FT. (basement and main floor) Which is what I am currently doing with the Regency getting temps in the 70-72 deg. range with bedrooms around 65.

If you don't mind what setting are you running it at (low-med-high) and how much space are you heating?

Thanks
Hi Learnin I think the setting will depend on your home.I set mine closer to medium because my home is drafty.If your home is well insulated you can set your stove at a lower setting and it will heat well for a longer period of time.I'd go with the Largest Blaze King or Equinox to heat your square footage.If you have a good strong draft put a pipe damper in if you go with the Equinox.My experience with the smaller Mansfield was more heat and longer burn times with the damper.I'm heating about 2500 sq ft.

Thanks for all the replies. Lots a use full info to ponder.

Rich - BKK classic is what I'm looking at, The Equinox is a nice stove, I'll have to check pricing on them though. I found a BKK Classic for $1750 and I can get it shipped for $325.

Lady D & Kieth - I know Temp will play a large roll in burn times as I do have a somewhat drafty house. (I'm slowly trying to correct that) The temp around here is typically mid 30's during the day and upper 20's at night from Dec to Feb (with a few colder spells in the single digits (lasted for 3 weeks last winter) but rarely below 0 for long periods of time. Currently my wood is split for the Regency so it will be smaller than ideal If I can swing the BKK. That will change for the following winter though.

Wet1 - Thanks, I agree. 40+ hours is not real world.

learnin to burn said:
Thanks for all the replies. Lots a use full info to ponder.

Rich - BKK classic is what I'm looking at, The Equinox is a nice stove, I'll have to check pricing on them though. I found a BKK Classic for $1750 and I can get it shipped for $325.

Lady D & Kieth - I know Temp will play a large roll in burn times as I do have a somewhat drafty house. (I'm slowly trying to correct that) The temp around here is typically mid 30's during the day and upper 20's at night from Dec to Feb (with a few colder spells in the single digits (lasted for 3 weeks last winter) but rarely below 0 for long periods of time. Currently my wood is split for the Regency so it will be smaller than ideal If I can swing the BKK. That will change for the following winter though.

Wet1 - Thanks, I agree. 40+ hours is not real world.
Yo Learnin if you can get a Classic for that price get it now.That's a ridiculously low price for that stove.How did it become so low ? Is it used or what ?

No Rich, you just bought yours on the east coast. Any BK product east of the river is distributed through a company called Fireside, and then to the dealers. As you might guess, Fireside jacks the price up significantly and the east coast dealers in turn past the screwing on to the customers. All other dealers buy directly through BK.

I bought on the west coast and had them shipped. My King Parlor (with fans) was 1749.90, plus shipping. Total came to right at $2000, but I bought a few of them which dropped the price per unit a little. I tried dealing with many east coast dealers, and Fireside directly as well, but nobody wanted to sell me this same stove for under $2900+, despite the fact that I was buying four of them. In the end I was happy to not give them (Fireside) a dime of my money since they are obviously padding the price very heavily. So to anyone looking for a BK stove, I would highly suggest shopping around outside of the east coast... prices vary a lot from dealer to dealer.

Wet1 said:
No Rich, you just bought yours on the east coast. Any BK product east of the river is distributed through a company called Fireside, and then to the dealers. As you might guess, Fireside jacks the price up significantly and the east coast dealers in turn past the screwing on to the customers. All other dealers buy directly through BK.

I bought on the west coast and had them shipped. My King Parlor (with fans) was 1749.90, plus shipping. Total came to right at $2000, but I bought a few of them which dropped the price per unit a little. I tried dealing with many east coast dealers, and Fireside directly as well, but nobody wanted to sell me this same stove for under $2900+, despite the fact that I was buying four of them. In the end I was happy to not give them (Fireside) a dime of my money since they are obviously padding the price very heavily. So to anyone looking for a BK stove, I would highly suggest shopping around outside of the east coast... prices vary a lot from dealer to dealer.

Thank you for that explanation. I now feel much better about my local guy and now get what he wouldn't tell me verbally but I could read in his expressions. BK should fix that channel so we can support our local guys.

Wet1 said:
I bought on the west coast and had them shipped. My King Parlor (with fans) was 1749.90, plus shipping. Total came to right at $2000, but I bought a few of them which dropped the price per unit a little. I tried dealing with many east coast dealers, and Fireside directly as well, but nobody wanted to sell me this same stove for under $2900+, despite the fact that I was buying four of them.

Have you posted a pic of your King Parlor? I would like to see what one looks like besides in an ad.

SolarAndWood said:
Wet1 said:

Thank you for that explanation. I now feel much better about my local guy and now get what he wouldn't tell me verbally but I could read in his expressions. BK should fix that channel so we can support our local guys.
BK does have a policy about dealers not selling outside their territory. I don't know how heavily they enforce it. But I have no idea why they set up the east coast gouging system the way they did. They need to do something about the middle man to make prices more consistent across the country.

I'm all for supporting my local shops. I first went to my local shop and received a price of $3600 for the stove. $3400 if I bought 4 as I planned. I contacted countless other east coast shops within 150 miles and asked them for their best price on 4 BK stoves, almost all were still well above $3k per stove. I went back to my local shop and offered him the business one last time and he told me $3400 ea was the best he could do. I don't mind paying a little more to support my local guy, but twice as much when I'm trying to give him an unsolicited order for 4 stoves??? When I contacted Fireside directly, they had the regional rep contact me. She called my local guy as well, and in turn he called me back with the same over-inflated price. Gee, thanks guys. So in the end I went way out of my way to try to support the local folks, but the price discrepancy was just WAY to much for me to stay local. We would not have bought all these BK products at $3k+ per unit, especially knowing they could be bought for a fraction of the price elsewhere (and they were still making a good dollar on them, even at that price). I'm amazed BK lets this distributor and the dealers gouge customers like this. With the power of the Internet, it's obviously very easy for people to converse and compare prices. I did talk with BK about this a little, and I don't want to go into details, but at the end of the day they are in the business of selling as many stoves as they can... so you can probably figure out the rest.

No, sorry BB. I'm in the process of rebuilding my hearth so when it's all done I'll be sure to post pics. I will say the stove in the parlor model looks a lot nicer in person than I thought it would be based on the picture in their ad, it's actually a nice looking stove once that Big Mac container has some legs thrown under it. It is big though...

Wet, did you happen to mention to the local dealer that you found the stoves at half of his price? You'd think that the guy would have them shipped directly like you did IF the middle man is the one taking all of the profit.

I bet there are significant penalties for an established dealer that gets caught doing that.

I mentioned it to the local guys as well as the distributor. I also asked about having them drop shipped directly to me, so all they had to do was take my cash. All of them pretty much acted like I was nuts and that I couldn't get the stoves for that price. All, including the distributor, told me I can't buy the stoves outside of my local area so they weren't budging on the price. They felt that I had no choice but to buy through them. Very arrogant to say the least. In the end, I was getting pretty irritated and upset just trying to support these guys. Anyway, the east coast dealers are forced to buy through the distributor, so they can't deal directly with BK even if they wanted to, it's a big hole in BK's distribution system. I don't know how much the distributor (Fireside) is adding to the price of BK products vs the dealers, but there's a very obvious price difference once you get outside the east coast.

SolarAndWood said:
I bet there are significant penalties for an established dealer that gets caught doing that.
You would think so, but there are several dealers outside the east coast selling BK products online, you just have to look around. If I found them... Well, let's just say BK is in the business of selling as many stoves as possible. What they should do is kick Fireside out of the loop and they would move more stoves across the country.

If I had to, I was willing to drive to pick the stoves up myself considering the money I was saving compared to buying on the east coast.

learnin to burn said:
Rich - Here is a link to what I'm looking at. I found this site with a link in one of the other threads about the BK. I don't remember who posted it but whoever it was Thank You!

https://www.autorain.com/itemdisplay.php?id=3759895&catid=546&sectionid=222&sku=KE1107BK-P

Wow! Nice pricing on all the Blaze Kings. Very tempting indeed. Thanks for the link.

Here's a better picture of the Parlor model, I think it's nice looking stove.

http://whimfield.com/2008/10/wood-heat-a-girl-and-boys-best-friend/

learnin to burn said:
Rich - Here is a link to what I'm looking at. I found this site with a link in one of the other threads about the BK. I don't remember who posted it but whoever it was Thank You!

https://www.autorain.com/itemdisplay.php?id=3759895&catid=546&sectionid=222&sku=KE1107BK-P
Ya thats a great price.Where's this company located and how much will the shipping and tax total.I heard those crazy prices in my area (Mass.)when I first inquired about the stove and I finally found a gentleman in Maine almost 4 hours from me who would let his demo go for I think it was $2100.00 or maybe $ 2200.00 which compared to $3600.00 plus tax and shippng was great.I took the drive up and was served good coffee and homemade muffins by his gracious wife.It turned out to be a beautiful trip and minus the shipping cost I made out very well for a east coaster.

You have to call them for a shipping quote and there is no tax unless you live in the same state as the company is out of.

Status
Not open for further replies.