Big Heat Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

F4jock

Minister of Fire
Nov 12, 2014
Red Rock, PA
Picked up three bags for a test. Anyone have any experience with them?

I'm 3/4 thru a ton. Burn very hot in my Englander, but build up in the burn pot due to small size, leading to clinkers. Lot more ash than AWF's or the Platinums I have too.

Buddy at work bought two tons. He doesn't like them, says they burn too fast in his Harman. He has never burned soft woods before. He also had water damage in some of the bags. Good luck w/ yours.

Surprising update. Been through a bag and a bit more. Decent heat and very low ash! Gonna get brass monkey cold in the next 36 hours so it'll be a good test. Also nice light piney odor for a blended pellet.

Last edited:
Ah, I'm glad I saw this, I've seen a few places with them lately and wondered if they were any good. Maybe I'll have to pick up a few bags...

I burned 10 bags recently, last week all the way through those sub-zero days. In my stove they burned real good, wish I had more. But I do subscribe to the theory that every stove and install is different, and what works great for me might be a big disappointment for someone else. And vice versa. But yeah if Big Heats are around here next year I'll try a few bags and if they're still good I'll stock up.

Big Heat is one of the brands my local supplier sells but I never tried them because he only sells by the ton so maybe next year I will buy a ton and give them a shot

Overnight Update: Nice and warm with temps down to about 10f. Not the absolute lowest ash I've seen but very low just the same. Ash is light and doesn't cause much flame deflection either. Not bad in the consumption department. Considering I saw these sitting outside a Weis supermarket I didn't have much hope for them. If looks could kill my beautiful blonde, blue-eyed wife would have roasted me to a cinder when I picked them up to try (We have two tons plus left and she wants the middle of her garage back!) but I have to admit that based on my test so far I'd buy them by the ton if I could! Gonna hit negative numbers tonight so a final stress test on the way.

Last edited:
Overnight Update: Nice and warm with temps down to about 10f. Not the absolute lowest ash I've seen but very low just the same. Ash is light and doesn't cause much flame deflection either. Not bad in the consumption department. Considering I saw these sitting outside a Weis supermarket I didn't have much hope for them. If looks could kill my beautiful blonde, blue-eyed wife would have roasted me to a cinder when I picked them up to try (We have two tons plus left and she wants the middle of her garage back!) but I have to admit that based on my test so far I'd buy them by the ton if I could! Gonna hit negative numbers tonight so a final stress test on the way.

Funny you mention that you saw them at a Weis -- that's where I've seen them too. They used to have 3 or 4 tons sitting out, but last week they didn't have any left. Makes me wish I had jumped on that sooner, because they were selling for $5 something a bag, which around where I live is a pretty good price.

Final Report: Got down to single digits last night. Plenty of heat and below average ash. Higher consumption than Lignetics hardwood but expect that of a softie. Would use them again.

I still have some bags left, now that my stove is in C mode, I want to see if they burn any better. My Plantinums are burning better so that's a good sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.