Ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dpg9282

Feb 10, 2024
Ct
Is this ash ?

IMG_7824.jpeg

Walnut. At least it looks like it in log form. Hard to tell from the splits. I think I see one of the heart wood.

Looks like the dozens of cords of Ash I've burned. Like Scott said the dark center is not what I saw in Ohio but may just be the area you are in. If the logs are still green make a fresh cut and it will smell sweet. I bucked a live ash that was taken out by a storm and it's no wonder the ash bore like it. I had yellow jackets all over the pile going after the sweet.

smell it.
if it smells like a baseball bat, it's most likely ash.

1708098403357.png

Reactions: ClintonH
The ash on my property has a splotchy looking heartwood ring like your first pic. The wood in the other pics looks different.

But like mentioned above, ash has a certain smell. Once you know it you can ID the wood that way. I would compare the smell of the wood in pics 1 and 2.

Revisiting, I am withdrawing my guess of walnut and now stating, without doubt, It's black ash.
I had forgotten what the heartwood of black ash looks like.

To my knowledge, there's white, black, green, and blue ash. I only know this because I gave a piece of black to a buddy to run through his planer. I wanted to see what it would look like. In the process, I looked it up online. Site mentioned the 4 different ashes and said black was common to make baskets with. Easy to get thin strips of it and bend.

Black ash limb wood has the thin flakey bark, but doesn't the trunk wood have some regular ash texture?
It's definitely not white ash.... Here it has a much lighter colored bark and white clear wood. Still the same dimond pattern bark though.

There are 18 species of Ash trees in North America, that should help clear things up :)
And I was only aware of 4 and only see predominately 2 around here. White and black ash........
I think there are 60 species of oak in North America?

If you can pull the bark off and see a bunch of squiggle lines, its def ash.