Are these decent options?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

FunkDaddyG

Dec 20, 2018
Blueridge Mountains
I am considering getting both of these two Drolet stoves. I need them to start and stay lit without problems, the heat and burn time to be regulated without difficulty within their limits, and hopefully durable. Are these viable options?

drolet HT-3000
(factorypure.com/products/drolet-ht-3000-epa-certified-2-700-sq-ft-wood-stove-new)
Drolet escape 1800
(factorypure.com/products/drolet-escape-1800-epa-certified-2-100-sq-ft-wood-stove-on-legs-with-black-door-new)
We’re on a budget, we have 3 stoves currently, an older fisher that works great but two newer wood stoves that won’t stay lit unless they’re burning full tilt and are a pita to get started. Weve cleaned them several times without success. So we need better stoves that don’t have to have the door propped and watched just to get it going.

We live in an old drafty uninsulated house that we struggle to keep warm in the winter.

Any helpful inputs?

Last edited:
Drolet/Osburn make very good products. My fear is that to me it sounds like you might have a draft issue and that hooking up a new stove may not solve the issues you are having. Currently what kind of chimney do you have? Does it have a liner, is it insulated? Others will be along with far more knowledge than i have and any more info you can provide will help.

we have 3 stoves currently, an older fisher that works great but two newer wood stoves that won’t stay lit unless they’re burning full tilt and are a pita to get started. Weve cleaned them several times without success. So we need better stoves that don’t have to have the door propped and watched just to get it going.
This sounds like wet wood. A new stove may not be the solution you are looking for if you feed it sub par fuel. What moisture content is your wood and how do you measure it?

Reactions: stoveliker
I agree with that ^^

The good news is that the solution is free: let your wood dry for two or three years (split, stacked off the ground, and top covered).

Drolet/Osburn make very good products. My fear is that to me it sounds like you might have a draft issue and that hooking up a new stove may not solve the issues you are having. Currently what kind of chimney do you have? Does it have a liner, is it insulated? Others will be along with far more knowledge than i have and any more info you can provide will help.
Stainless steel liners, 6 inch, insulated and properly installed with 22feet length per chimney