Any way to use a free standing stove in this situation?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I really like FTG-05s mod.! Have you considered getting into it this deep? Not cheap but very functional...you will need the largest stove you can possibly put there to try and off set heating costs...and wonder then if it will pay large enough dividends....what stove did you have in mind?

Sorry, just saw this post. I am looking at the Regency F5100 stove. It is pretty large and it has a pretty long burn time. However, it is only 80,000 btu. I am not set on this stove. In fact, I am still looking at free standing stoves. Of course, my wife likes the Vermont Casting stoves that are ceramic on the exterior. Not sure I am alright with them. My dad has a Vermont Castings insert, but it is the standard black, not ceramic. It has held up well.

https://www.regency-fire.com/en/Products/Wood/Wood-Stoves/F5100

I am open to all suggestions on free standing wood stoves, the higher the btu output, the better.

I will have to take a look at FTG=05's mod. No idea where to find it, but I'm going to start searching.

Sorry, just saw this post. I am looking at the Regency F5100 stove. It is pretty large and it has a pretty long burn time. However, it is only 80,000 btu. I am not set on this stove. In fact, I am still looking at free standing stoves. Of course, my wife likes the Vermont Casting stoves that are ceramic on the exterior. Not sure I am alright with them. My dad has a Vermont Castings insert, but it is the standard black, not ceramic. It has held up well.

https://www.regency-fire.com/en/Products/Wood/Wood-Stoves/F5100

I am open to all suggestions on free standing wood stoves, the higher the btu output, the better.

I will have to take a look at FTG=05's mod. No idea where to find it, but I'm going to start searching.
It is in this thread..

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I understand how you feel, completely.

I love that this forum just saved you between $20 and $50 thousand on therapy. ;-)

Dr. ED 3000 only charges $2.50 an hour. My bill is in the mail. $5.

I am usually on a Maryland gun owners chatboard for my therapy, but this forum is good too. My wife and I discussed moving into PA, but that would make the drive to work longer for her and it would put my parents at 90 minutes away. This house we are looking at is 50 minutes from my parents.and just slightly closer to my wife's work.

It is in this thread..
I sure hope he's paying better attention to his clients tax returns and legal issues than he's paying to the heartfelt, thoughtful responses to his questions.

You can lead a horse to water...

I don’t have experience doing it because we used an insert in our former home. I’ve read over the years that Woodstock and Jøtul often work well in these applications because of the option to rear vent. Have you looked at a Progress Hybrid (if you like soapstone)? I am hoping that one of the folks I pinged will offer some suggestions.

It is in this thread..

Found it and had already looked at it. If this was a single story room, I would be all over that modification. However, I do not want to go up 2 stories with that amount of brick. I will be laying brick all day long and it will block some of the sunlight on both sides of it from the windows. A single black pipe going up in the middle of the mantel will occupy a lot less space in the room.

I am usually on a Maryland gun owners chatboard for my therapy, but this forum is good too. My wife and I discussed moving into PA, but that would make the drive to work longer for her and it would put my parents at 90 minutes away. This house we are looking at is 50 minutes from my parents.and just slightly closer to my wife's work.
Wow, first time I've felt threatened on a message board. Maybe we still have some work to do. Please take a seat on Dr. 3000's chaise lounge and tell me more about how you're feeling...

Found it and had already looked at it. If this was a single story room, I would be all over that modification. However, I do not want to go up 2 stories with that amount of brick. I will be laying brick all day long and it will block some of the sunlight on both sides of it from the windows. A single black pipe going up in the middle of the mantel will occupy a lot less space in the room.

I think I’m missing something. Is it that the Regency you’re looking at won’t go through the chimney? You do have a full masonry fireplace there, right? I would rather shop for a different stove and use the existing structure of the house than put a stove pipe in front of what you’ve got. That’s why I suggested some rear-venting brands earlier.

I am sorry to say this but there is no way you will come even close to heating the whole house with a freestanding woodstove in that great room. It just w ont happen so you projections on cost savings are off base. And there is no way i would run a stack up in front if that is a true masonry chimney. I would just drop a liner and tap in to the chimney where it makes sense. To me your plan would look silly inside and horrible on the roof.

What I had envisioned was widening your current opening both width and height and extending the hearth to accommodate a large rear venting wood stove and not extending any brick skyward...I might be missing something...

I am sorry to say this but there is no way you will come even close to heating the whole house with a freestanding woodstove in that great room. It just w ont happen so you projections on cost savings are off base. And there is no way i would run a stack up in front if that is a true masonry chimney. I would just drop a liner and tap in to the chimney where it makes sense. To me your plan would look silly inside and horrible on the roof.
fabsroman, do you know if this is a true masonry chimney or a chased facade for a vented gas zc fireplace?

For very large stoves also look at the Kuma Sequoia, Blaze King King Ultra and Quadrafire Adventure III. Skip the Vermont Castings freestander. They have a different construction than the VC inserts. There are better options if the goal is a more attractive stove.

How is great room connected to upstairs? Is there a stairway or loft balcony?

Last edited:
fabsroman, do you know if this is a true masonry chimney or a chased facade for a vented gas zc fireplace?

For very large stoves also look at the Kuma Sequoia, Blaze King King Ultra and Quadrafire Adventure III. Skip the Vermont Castings freestander. They have a different construction than the VC inserts. There are better options if the goal is a more attractive stove.

How is great room connected to upstairs? Is there a stairway or loft balcony?

The rear picture of the house shows a complete brick/mortar chimney. Only thing I do not know is whether there is a liner in it already for the gas stove and whether the brick chimney has a clay liner in it too.

The stairway is in the front of the house with a 2 story foyer. At the top of the stairs, there is a walkway/balcony that overlooks the great room. I saw the Sequoia the other night and will take another look at it after dinner.

The goal is the nicest looking setup for the least amount of money possible with the most heat output possible. As somebody already mentioned, the best thing might be to tie into the existing chimney, albeit at a spot higher on the wall. I just need to look at examples so I can get an idea of what I need to do. Brick work shouldn't be a problem. My dad did it for 20+ years.

I think I’m missing something. Is it that the Regency you’re looking at won’t go through the chimney? You do have a full masonry fireplace there, right? I would rather shop for a different stove and use the existing structure of the house than put a stove pipe in front of what you’ve got. That’s why I suggested some rear-venting brands earlier.

Regency is an 8" flue. Not sure that this chimney has an 8" flue. Out of the 3 installs I have done, they were all 6" flues in the brick chimneys. After dinner I'll look at other stoves suggested and see if any have the same btu output, but with a 6" flue.

Wow, first time I've felt threatened on a message board. Maybe we still have some work to do. Please take a seat on Dr. 3000's chaise lounge and tell me more about how you're feeling...

What were you threatened by from my post? That I usually frequent a Maryland gun owners chatboard? Before that, it was this chatboard. Before this chatboard it was a road bike and mtb chatboard. Before that, it was a hunting chatboard. I still visit all of them on occasion, but for the past couple of years it has mostly been the gun owners board.

Threatening anybody on a chatboard is never my intention. I find it hilarious when people decide to threaten other people on a chatboard, especially because they have no idea what the person on the other side of the monitor looks like and is capable of. If you felt threatened, I apologize. It definitely wasn't my intent, but I guess I can understand how some people just hear "gun" and are threatened by the mere mention of the word. So, it isn't a gun owner's chatboard I frequent, but a 2nd Amendment chatboard that has forums regarding ballistics, politics, hunting, and specific types of projectile throwers.

Reactions: bholler
The rear picture of the house shows a complete brick/mortar chimney. Only thing I do not know is whether there is a liner in it already for the gas stove and whether the brick chimney has a clay liner in it too.

The stairway is in the front of the house with a 2 story foyer. At the top of the stairs, there is a walkway/balcony that overlooks the great room. I saw the Sequoia the other night and will take another look at it after dinner.

The goal is the nicest looking setup for the least amount of money possible with the most heat output possible. As somebody already mentioned, the best thing might be to tie into the existing chimney, albeit at a spot higher on the wall. I just need to look at examples so I can get an idea of what I need to do. Brick work shouldn't be a problem. My dad did it for 20+ years.
We only ask that because just because it has a brick face does not mean it is a full masonry fireplace. I think from the looks of the structure it is a true masonry fp. But we need to be sure. Really there is not much point in planning much until you have an idea of what exactly you have and what the measurements are.

What is the squ footage of the new house? How high is that ceiling? Are there ceiling fans? Is it open yo the rest of the house?

I sure hope he's paying better attention to his clients tax returns and legal issues than he's paying to the heartfelt, thoughtful responses to his questions.

You can lead a horse to water...

Wow,........... Only had my own practice now for 19 years, but there is always room for improvement.

As I already said, I saw what was posted and it would not work for my situation. He pretty much tore apart what he had and replaced everything with stone. Looks like he was able to tie into the available flue/chimney with a straight pipe going straight up and then he was able to cover up the pipe by putting stone all the way up to the ceiling. That just isn't going to work in my application. Now, as others have mentioned, maybe a rear venting stove will work or maybe I can open up the masonry some to stick the stove further into the hearth/chimney.

Maybe opening the area up so the stove can sit further back and using a 90 twice over to tap into the brick chimney would be the way to go. However, I have not seen anybody show a conversion done like that.

We only ask that because just because it has a brick face does not mean it is a full masonry fireplace. I think from the looks of the structure it is a true masonry fp. But we need to be sure. Really there is not much point in planning much until you have an idea of what exactly you have and what the measurements are.

What is the squ footage of the new house? How high is that ceiling? Are there ceiling fans? Is it open yo the rest of the house?

House is 6,500 sf. Cannot remember if there is a ceiling fan in the great room or not, but I am going with there isn't. I'll look again on Thursday. The great room flows into the kitchen, eating area, and the office, and it is open to the balcony above it.

Guess I will just have to buy the house and then go from there regarding a wood stove.

House is 6,500 sf. Cannot remember if there is a ceiling fan in the great room or not, but I am going with there isn't. I'll look again on Thursday. The great room flows into the kitchen, eating area, and the office, and it is open to the balcony above it.

Guess I will just have to buy the house and then go from there regarding a wood stove.
I am sorry but at 6500 squ feet with the stove in a great room like that even the largest wood stoves wont make much of a dent.

As I already said, I saw what was posted and it would not work for my situation. He pretty much tore apart what he had and replaced everything with stone.
I wouldn't have done that nor would I suggest that for your new home. There are alternatives.

As soon as possible get a professional sweep to assess what is there. That will end a lot of speculating.

You'll have no problem getting heat upstairs to the balcony. Hot air rises. The problem will be getting the heat that pockets up high near the ceiling peak to come back down to the 1st floor level.

webby3650 do you have any pictures of a Kozy Z42 ZC fireplace replacement project?

Last edited:
What were you threatened by from my post? That I usually frequent a Maryland gun owners chatboard? Before that, it was this chatboard. Before this chatboard it was a road bike and mtb chatboard. Before that, it was a hunting chatboard. I still visit all of them on occasion, but for the past couple of years it has mostly been the gun owners board.

Threatening anybody on a chatboard is never my intention. I find it hilarious when people decide to threaten other people on a chatboard, especially because they have no idea what the person on the other side of the monitor looks like and is capable of. If you felt threatened, I apologize. It definitely wasn't my intent, but I guess I can understand how some people just hear "gun" and are threatened by the mere mention of the word. So, it isn't a gun owner's chatboard I frequent, but a 2nd Amendment chatboard that has forums regarding ballistics, politics, hunting, and specific types of projectile throwers.
I wasn't really threatened, just making a joke. I've been trying to add a little satire to the conversation, to make it fun as well as educational. Trust me when I tell you that I'm as tired of the current climate as anyone. Probably need to tread lightly these days about such things (me, not you).

Education, laughs, and therapy! What a place!

I do, in all seriousness, think you should consider an insert.

Wow,........... Only had my own practice now for 19 years, but there is always room for improvement.

As I already said, I saw what was posted and it would not work for my situation. He pretty much tore apart what he had and replaced everything with stone. Looks like he was able to tie into the available flue/chimney with a straight pipe going straight up and then he was able to cover up the pipe by putting stone all the way up to the ceiling. That just isn't going to work in my application. Now, as others have mentioned, maybe a rear venting stove will work or maybe I can open up the masonry some to stick the stove further into the hearth/chimney.

Maybe opening the area up so the stove can sit further back and using a 90 twice over to tap into the brick chimney would be the way to go. However, I have not seen anybody show a conversion done like that.
Remember, fun and advice. Two for one. Like getting an accountant who's also a lawyer. Double your pleasure. And remember, inserts can be awesome!

I am sorry but at 6500 squ feet with the stove in a great room like that even the largest wood stoves wont make much of a dent.

Yeah, it will not heat the entire house, but it sure would do something. I am heating our current 4,400 sf house with a 151,000 btu furnace and I don't even have to run it that much. It has not been on since last night and the house is currently at 68 degrees. After my wife and kids go to school and work in the morning, I really would not need to heat the upstairs level with the bedrooms, so I could reduce the temp in that zone. My office would be right next to the great room, and I would be spending the majority of my time every day in that office. As already mentioned, I would be putting another stove in the basement. If I have two stoves rated at 80,000, that would be the same btu output as my current furnace. It would put a dent in the heating bill. Maybe not alleviate it completely, but dent it.

Yeah, it will not heat the entire house, but it sure would do something. I am heating our current 4,400 sf house with a 151,000 btu furnace and I don't even have to run it that much. It has not been on since last night and the house is currently at 68 degrees. After my wife and kids go to school and work in the morning, I really would not need to heat the upstairs level with the bedrooms, so I could reduce the temp in that zone. My office would be right next to the great room, and I would be spending the majority of my time every day in that office. As already mentioned, I would be putting another stove in the basement. If I have two stoves rated at 80,000, that would be the same btu output as my current furnace. It would put a dent in the heating bill. Maybe not alleviate it completely, but dent it.
Yes same btu with no heat distribution system. And does your current house have those two areas of vaulted ceiling?? They eat up a massive ammout of btus.