Another 2 trailer loads to the wood box.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bogydave said:
That load lasted thru today, loaded wood box with 2 more trailer loads.
Burned for 9-1/2 days & it was thru a cold spell -5 to 10 °f.
Up to 15°f today. getting some more snow. I was overdressed, but it felt good to be able to work outside comfortable.
Started on 2nd row, step down method, stacked about 8' high.
I remember some of this wood, it was split before I got the Hyd. splitter, some have multiple maul marks :)

Shed looks great bogydave, this warm spell here is nice, saving some wood this last week, having a fire in the morning then before we hit the sack and the last three days we have had one fire.

zap

bogydave said:
Up to 15°f today. getting some more snow. I was overdressed, but it felt good to be able to work outside comfortable.
I remember some of this wood, it was split before I got the Hyd. splitter, some have multiple maul marks :)
multiple hits dave? come on thats birch mostly isnt it. that should only be one hit with the splitting maul. lol

ecocavalier02 said:
bogydave said:
multiple hits dave? come on thats birch mostly isnt it. that should only be one hit with the splitting maul. lol

Some did some didn't. I lost my touch with a maul I guess.
No problem now, I like hydraulics. Now I'm spoiled :)

scotvl said:
Dam nice shed and stacking.

Thanks
copied from others pictures here. (Shed & stacking) :)
Hope I didn't break any patent laws :lol:
Moose rack added for an Alaskan decor.

I have enough wood under cover to get us through several more weeks, and I LOVE it. Some right out the back door, some just uphill by the garage. I pull mine over via sled, but it sure beats scrounging for my piles under the snow and pulling the uphill with the sled like I did last year.

We've had warmer weather up here, too. A nice break from -30! Hope it lasts for awhile, so my wood will, too.

Dog is pretty stoic about going outside--she's an old girl, and doesn't make it through the night anymore. A few nights ago, I laid back down waiting for her to scratch to be let back in, and awhile later I awakened to find her on her mat in my room. Figured my son had let her in, but checked it out just to be sure. Found that she'd let herself in by pushing on the back door (DS had not shut it all the way, apparently, on his last sled run. Lost a few plants in the sunroom due to the frost in there, and stayed awake a few hours getting the house back up to temp and the fire banked again. Lesson to me, I hope.

Cat, on the other hand, is good about going out, but makes nasty faces and acts like she's under attack by the nasty cold air. Then she puts her courage on and goes outside. Returns promptly.

From here on out, I go downstairs and tend fire until the animals are safely inside again at night.

Forecast to get up to low 20s here Monday. Snow some more maybe. :)
Will have to learn how to burn slow again.
The full wood box may last 12 days at those temps. :)
Maybe I'll bring in some spruce & save some on some of the birch for the next cold spell.
Dog may stay out for more then 2 minutes.

I have about 1.5 cords in the Woodhaven racks outside the family room and its about 3-4 feet to stack them inside the box through the outside access door.
The only draw back is VC is hinged on the left side so I have to load around the open door. I won't complain to much though, as it is pretty easy to load up.
I have not had to many overnight burns yet so I would guess I get 1.5 to 2 days each load in the box. I should have an answer soon though as its about to get cooler here and I have already shut off the furnace vents downstairs.

Attachments

• Another 2 trailer loads to the wood box.
    100_0092.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 132
  • Another 2 trailer loads to the wood box.
    100_0100.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 150
Good to hear you are getting snow Dave. That leaves less of it for us!

snowleopard said:
I have enough wood under cover to get us through several more weeks, and I LOVE it. Some right out the back door, some just uphill by the garage. I pull mine over via sled, but it sure beats scrounging for my piles under the snow and pulling the uphill with the sled like I did last year.

We've had warmer weather up here, too. A nice break from -30! Hope it lasts for awhile, so my wood will, too.

Dog is pretty stoic about going outside--she's an old girl, and doesn't make it through the night anymore. A few nights ago, I laid back down waiting for her to scratch to be let back in, and awhile later I awakened to find her on her mat in my room. Figured my son had let her in, but checked it out just to be sure. Found that she'd let herself in by pushing on the back door (DS had not shut it all the way, apparently, on his last sled run. Lost a few plants in the sunroom due to the frost in there, and stayed awake a few hours getting the house back up to temp and the fire banked again. Lesson to me, I hope.

Cat, on the other hand, is good about going out, but makes nasty faces and acts like she's under attack by the nasty cold air. Then she puts her courage on and goes outside. Returns promptly.

From here on out, I go downstairs and tend fire until the animals are safely inside again at night.

:lol: I remember I let me dog out downstairs one day in the winter and I came upstairs and saw her laying on the couch, seems she knew that pushing down on the door latch opened the front door, so she let herself in and made herself comfortable. Wily dogs

NATE379 said:
I had to walk him out to his "spot" which is at the woods...
I've trained our dog to go to the bush but when the snow gets deep she gets lazy. I clear paths for her with the snow thrower and come Spring, I can see all the dead patches of grass where the paths end.

mo: Nice set up
BWS: If it's going to be winter, I like having snow. I think you are on the "lake effect snow" side, East or West , you'll get yours for sure now . You used the "S" word :)
LL: Fried egg, dead spots :)
5°f, clear. 1/2" of snow last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.