Am I doing something wrong? Pacific Energy Neo 2.5 glass on the handle side always gets covered in soot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

agurkas

Nov 28, 2019
Boston
A month ago I got Pacific Energy Neo 2.5 fireplace insert installed. Absolutely love it... except for some reason part of the glass gets covered by soot (or is it creosote?). I usually just scrape it off with a painters glass cleaning blade. It is not sticky.

Is it something I need to call warranty in for or am I doing something wrong?
[Hearth.com] Am I doing something wrong? Pacific Energy Neo 2.5 glass on the handle side always gets covered in soot

Nice insert--congrats!

And the rest of the glass looks good, crystal clear. How's your wood? Good and dry?

Could be an obstruction in the path of the air wash (combustion air passing down over the glass from top to bottom)... could be anywhere along the line producing lower flow in that spot.

Or if your wood is not great, the air wash just isn't quite keeping that part clean.

Is it always in the same spot?

Looks like the gasket is not sealing well on that side. Do the dollar bill test on that area. If it slides out with no resistance than the latch may need a slight adjustment.

And the rest of the glass looks good, crystal clear. How's your wood? Good and dry?

Or if your wood is not great, the air wash just isn't quite keeping that part clean.

Is it always in the same spot?
I have tried different stack configurations. Wood is always bellow 20% (it is usually 12%-14% measurd with a good prong meter). It is always the same dang area.

Looks like the gasket is not sealing well on that side. Do the dollar bill test on that area. If it slides out with no resistance than the latch may need a slight adjustment.
I am going to test it and see if I can adjust the latch, if needed. But frankly I should have to only 1 month into ownership

That all said, "the boss" is very happy I am heating the house 4 degrees higher than I used used to with central air.

I am going to test it and see if I can adjust the latch, if needed. But frankly I should have to only 1 month into ownership

some things slip through the factory. it will happen with any stove, automobile, appliance, do the test and see if is is the gasket. if it is than call the dealer for service if you dont want to do it yourself

Reactions: agurkas

That all said, "the boss" is very happy I am heating the house 4 degrees higher than I used used to with central air.
If it fails the dollar bill test there it may take a tiny adjustment at the latch. You could also try pinching the gasket along that edge to plump it up and see if that helps.

I know this has come up before because I saw this mentioned in threads here when I decided on which insert to get. Right now there’s a slight haze on the glass of our Neo 2.5 in that same spot.

I have a True North and it gets a matching one on the right side.
I wash them off with a paper towel when I dig ashes out. More of a grey color than black though.

I know this has come up before because I saw this mentioned in threads here when I decided on which insert to get. Right now there’s a slight haze on the glass of our Neo 2.5 in that same spot.
A slight haze is nothing to worry about, especially if it has built up over time. Could be the wood was a little closer to the glass there. Just clean it off.

It never stays completely clean, always clean it off between fires. It’s a more notable build up if I close off the air too quickly /if isn’t hot enough when I turn it down.

I can't speak for other makes, but PE does not adjust the door at factory. Doors also ship separate(off the stove) or at least both mine did, and both needed adjustment after the doors were installed.