Advice for selling a Blaze King

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

zherman

Jan 18, 2018
Pennsylvania
Hello, I am considering selling a Blaze King Classic I bought last year and has less than 2 cords of wood burnt through it. I was wondering what it might be worth. Since there is no Kelly Blue Book of wood stoves, I’m not sure what would be a good asking price. Any advice or previous experience would be appreciated. Thank you

Hello, I am considering selling a Blaze King Classic I bought last year and has less than 2 cords of wood burnt through it. I was wondering what it might be worth. Since there is no Kelly Blue Book of wood stoves, I’m not sure what would be a good asking price. Any advice or previous experience would be appreciated. Thank you
New last year and you are the original owner? I would estimate a dealer would offer you 50% of the retail price that you paid ( not including tax, install). But I would probably try selling it for $500 less than retail on the open market, like here.

Would a dealer be able to resell it with the new regs? Private sale might be the only option.

A Blaze King Classic - does that mean it's an older stove (as I don't think they sell "Classic"s these days, new)?
Then how do you know how many cords have gone through it?

Specifically which model and did you buy the stove new last year?

A Blaze King Classic - does that mean it's an older stove (as I don't think they sell "Classic"s these days, new)?
Then how do you know how many cords have gone through it?
The classic isn’t an old model, just not as common as the ultra.

Reactions: stoveliker
The classic isn’t an old model, just not as common as the ultra.

Going back to the BK site (where I had gone before I posted), I see it's a base, not the stove. One has BK King stoves with Classic Base, Ultra Pedestal, or Parlor legs - hence my confusion. (Maybe other models have that too - my Chinook has no such choice, hence my ignorance).

I am the original owner and bought it last spring. I thought the model was classic but my memory may be wrong. It’s a King with simple base, no legs or ash pan. I may try to get some pictures and post it on here for $500 less than I paid. It is practically new, I’d hate to have to lose half of what I paid.

I know a guy that has been pining for a King: @Nealm66
:p

I hope you can find a good buyer.
Would you care to share why this stove did not work for you (so that others can learn before they might make a choice with the same results? It's good to have a balanced collection of info about these stoves, and a negative experience to offset all the BK fanboys (full disclosure, that includes me) is useful imo. Moderators will let me know if they disagree...

Typically a $1,000 loss is common on a new stove purchase. I’ve bought and sold a bunch...

The reason I’m selling is because it just didn’t perform the way I was hoping. The two main reasons I bought it was for less creosote and a longer burn time so my wife didn’t have to add wood while I’m at work. The creosote issue was absolutely perfect, after 2 cords the chimney looks almost as clean as it did when I installed it. The burn time was good, however, it didn’t seem to be putting off much heat after the first 6 or 8 hours. I had been burning it near high on the thermostat and found that even though the cat thermometer was still active (about 12:00 position) it wasn’t putting out the heat I had hoped for. My backup propane was running much more than with my other stove. I heat 3000 square feet between basement and living floor. The stove is in my basement. I am sure there are things I can do to modify my house but I just can’t afford those things at the moment and my old stove heats the house well. I just have to get my wife to fill it during the day.

Man, I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase for 500 less than cost. Problem is, I’m baking myself out of the house too often with the princess. Would just be silly to try a king. Odd it didn’t produce enough heat. Seems like my princess pumps out the heat when I have it cranked. Shipping might be a factor , you might advertise it locally as to get something like that to western Washington might not make sense for a $500 discount on a used stove

Is this the old style look or the new square look?
Advice for selling a Blaze King
Here is a picture I took when I first got it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason I’m selling is because it just didn’t perform the way I was hoping. The two main reasons I bought it was for less creosote and a longer burn time so my wife didn’t have to add wood while I’m at work. The creosote issue was absolutely perfect, after 2 cords the chimney looks almost as clean as it did when I installed it. The burn time was good, however, it didn’t seem to be putting off much heat after the first 6 or 8 hours. I had been burning it near high on the thermostat and found that even though the cat thermometer was still active (about 12:00 position) it wasn’t putting out the heat I had hoped for. My backup propane was running much more than with my other stove. I heat 3000 square feet between basement and living floor. The stove is in my basement. I am sure there are things I can do to modify my house but I just can’t afford those things at the moment and my old stove heats the house well. I just have to get my wife to fill it during the day.
BK stoves are very good for low and slow burning, but if the area heated is large or the heat loss of the house is big, then it may not be a good fit. What is the make and model of the old stove?