Advantage to Cash-in-Hand vs. credit card purchase?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
Paying cash got me 5% off and a short leg kit ($89) thrown in. Dealer also let me borrow his stove cart to move my new stove in. We both were happy with the deal. Maybe I could have gotten it a little cheaper, but I needed the advice and talking through the install which the dealer/installer took the time to provide. I saved big on doing the install myself along with the satisfaction that I did it. I now know how it is installed and no corners were cut.

When we ordered our stove last week, the shop would have charged about 3% more for credit - and they did ask, and write it into the purchase agreement. Fair to both parties, if it's worth the convenience to pay the card I'll do it, but since it all comes out of the same acct it's just as easy to write a check. I know where they are if I have probs with the stove. Around here, business is still done with a handshake and a word; took a while to get used to but I've never been burned yet. I still take checks for stuff I sell on CL or in the local swap paper, but it's usually just little stuff. I figure if I don't specify payment up front, then I can't start making up rules after we agree on the sale, and the same goes for stove dealers.

bjkjoseph said:
i paid cash for my vermont castings.the dealer split the sales tax,4% off.

Same here- every little bit helps!

In my case of buying a BK insert last March 2009, I e-mailed all the dealer of that stove with a 150 miles of Minneapolis. I aked if I could get a end of heating season deal. It worked for me. I p/u the insert for $1,850 plus 130 mile road trip to Spooner WS. They had one on the floor that from 2007 that hadnt sold. I thought it was a good deal. She didnt care if I had cash or CC.

Got 10% off a water heater with cash last week. So it has worked for me. They all got some wiggle room, right. If I sell something on CL, I am willing to go down 10% for the sale. I just sold a snow blower for $400 and he didnt ask for lowest price, just paid $400 and that was that. I think the younger generation thinks the prices is the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.