Accidentally Displaced Fire Brick in a New Blaze King Princess

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
This is the best BK post I've seen yet! A chainsaw at 10:30pm in the city, with thoughts of a log splitter too... had me laughing out loud here at work! My wife would kill me.

The finishing touch would be a handful of kiln dried cedar strips on top just to get the cat fired up in short order. And I think you could get another 5-10lbs of small splits wedged in here and there.

Here's video to help get the idea of the 362, imagine this at night in the city.

That's a dull chain!

That's a dull chain!
I dunno..are we seeing few chips and lots of dust because the chain's dull or because he's cutting half-punked White Ash? ==c

I dunno..are we seeing few chips and lots of dust because the chain's dull or because he's cutting half-punked White Ash? ==c
Both perhaps. I had a Stihl 036 Pro modified into a hot saw. So with a sharp chain it can cut through a 36" diameter walnut in 10-15 seconds. And yes, I get about 2 cuts per tank of fuel. I always invest poorly when it burns fuel!

I always invest poorly when it burns fuel!

Fossil fuel, you mean. (I know, it’s obvious in context.). Otherwise, you’re in trouble.

I was just discussing lyrics to “Good King Wenceslas” this afternoon with my middle two children to get them to understand that “fuel” meant firewood, so I’m afraid your conclusion did give me a chuckle.

Actually the direction this whole thread has taken has given me a number of chuckles.

Both perhaps. I had a Stihl 036 Pro modified into a hot saw.
I've got an old 039 cold saw..hasn't run in a couple years, stalls after it warms up. I think it's got an air leak, haven't gotten a Mityvac yet so I can find out where it's leaking. That old thing is so heavy, but I guess I'll at least try to get it running just for the heck of it..

Hi! It's me again - the guy that was wondering why he was getting big, black, hard, crusty chunks of 'stuff' in the bottom of my BK, mostly in the front/right side, with a Status Report.

I will start a new thread "Big, black, hard, crusty chunks of 'stuff' in the bottom of my BK" rather than interrupt this vibrant discussion. But for those who remember the beginning,....
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This stuff has a density nearly like concrete, and actually adheres to the bricks. It can be partially, carefully, removed using a hammer and screwdriver. But eventually the bricks would need to be replaced. Not something I want to keep having to do.

I've been trying to burn what should be really dry firewood. Raking the coals to the front and letting the stove burn lighter pieces of wood at high airflow hasn't made any difference.

I've been heating with wood for over 20 years using a Dutch NW Vermont Castings catalytic stove and kind of think I know how to recognize damp wood. But I ordered a moisture meter today since what I've been trying isn't working, and I need some hard data.

Happy New Year

Hi! It's me again - the guy that was wondering why he was getting big, black, hard, crusty chunks of 'stuff' in the bottom of my BK, mostly in the front/right side, with a Status Report.

I will start a new thread "Big, black, hard, crusty chunks of 'stuff' in the bottom of my BK" rather than interrupt this vibrant discussion. But for those who remember the beginning,....
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This stuff has a density nearly like concrete, and actually adheres to the bricks. It can be partially, carefully, removed using a hammer and screwdriver. But eventually the bricks would need to be replaced. Not something I want to keep having to do.

I've been trying to burn what should be really dry firewood. Raking the coals to the front and letting the stove burn lighter pieces of wood at high airflow hasn't made any difference.

I've been heating with wood for over 20 years using a Dutch NW Vermont Castings catalytic stove and kind of think I know how to recognize damp wood. But I ordered a moisture meter today since what I've been trying isn't working, and I need some hard data.

Happy New Year

I’m not the expert here that others are, but I think moresnow alluded to the answer in the very first page. He mentioned “clinkers.” I think that’s a term for mineral deposits left behind when burning certain species of wood or even just particular trees that have more silica and such in the tissues. If you search on “clinkers” you might find better information or some pictures to compare to what you’re seeing.

Reactions: Highbeam and rdust
Accidentally Displaced Fire Brick in a New Blaze King Princess

Fresh load of hickory for the new year!

A couple of years ago we received samples of extremely hard, more volcanic in appearance samples from a customer.

That customer burn mill ends and manufactured LOGS.

We sent the samples to a lab for analysis.

There were extremely high concentrates of salts and metals in the samples as I recall.

In a follow up call to the manufacturer of the manufacturer fuel, it turns out there was low QA assurance of what was in the feedstock. The Owners contacted the cordwood provider and it is further complicated by the point that some mill ends could have from drift logs.

In short, experiment with different species of varying moisture content. You may be the best provider of diagnosis as a process of test and elimination.

Certainly clean out the firebo x often as part of your study.

Lastly, the company that provided the funds for the analysis was our catalyst supplier and they were not concerned about poisoning of the catalyst.