Accidentally Displaced Fire Brick in a New Blaze King Princess

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Ya sure! He went though his entire pile of wood to pick out the best looking pieces, just for that pic. Where are all the knotty screwball pieces the rest of us have to burn, it looks like a pic ready for a brochure ....lol [emoji848][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Woody Stover
The empty spot on the top left is bugging me. There's room for one more split!
My wife told me to put away the sledge hammer...I told her I could make it fit, but she reminded me it's mid 20's outside.

He is spot on. I have a princess and burn pine and oak. If the pine moisture content is 15% ish no coaling. If it gets wet it coals. Oak at 20% coals. When it’s cold out I run a mostly mix of pine as it burns down the oak coals. If I guy could get his hands on some 15% or less oak which would require being split 3 years ago, ALL pieces split so it will dry, no rounds, covered in a well ventilated shed not stacked uncovered, I think that would minimize the coaling.

The coaling is the denser and most likely wetter center piece of the wood.

If it’s split the center burns first, rounds coal ALOT as the last thing to burn is the center. Try using splits, see if that helps.

Huh.... really? I can see maybe some species of wood that might coal more than others but the woods moisture levels? I don’t know.... the moisture has to be pretty low when there’s 1400 degree coals burning...wouldn’t you’d think? I think that charcoals are just a by product of all wood fires and they just build up when it’s cold out and they don’t burn down between fires cuz your always putting more wood in the stove to keep the place warm. I don’t know... maybe I’m wrong here.

Take note of my custom coal fork I made. So I just raked them forward again...
;lol When you shovel 'em out, you don't mess around!
Don't exhale with that stove door open..the "antifreeze" on your breath could easily ignite. ;) I also had to top off my AF level tonight..going down into single digits. ==c
Huh.... really? I can see maybe some species of wood that might coal more than others but the woods moisture levels? I don’t know.... the moisture has to be pretty low when there’s 1400 degree coals burning...wouldn’t you’d think?
You'd think so, but I swear some of that moisture stays in there. Sure acts like it anyways. Doesn't seem possible, but... :confused:
Well, it got dark on me so I only got two level trailer loads up to the on-deck circle, Red Oak and BL. That'll be good for now. I can probably fit at least four more quad trailers up here.
Red Oke
BL

Last edited:
Reactions: Blazing
That fork must weigh a ton! I like the old style door latch and clean glass. Looks like you cut out the double wall to get a screw into the collar?
Sorry, no screw in the collar. It just slides down over the flue collar.

The empty spot on the top left is bugging me. There's room for one more split!
SuperJ...for you, tonight's load a bit better?

When I get a ton of coals in my Madison, I rake them in a NS line in the center, load splits to each side, and pack in as much as I can around it. Seems to work for me.

Here's my current conditions. Wife's from the tropics...... Gotta keep it warm. Literally typing in a t-shirt and gym shorts having a cold beer !

End unit townhome with zero insulation anywhere except the attic. Double brick on cinder 1950's construction. I'd say the Madison is doing a heck of a job!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

When I get a ton of coals in my Madison, I rake them in a NS line in the center, load splits to each side, and pack in as much as I can around it. Seems to work for me.

Here's my current conditions. Wife's from the tropics...... Gotta keep it warm. Literally typing in a t-shirt and gym shorts having a cold beer !

End unit townhome with zero insulation anywhere except the attic. Double brick on cinder 1950's construction. I'd say the Madison is doing a heck of a job!

View attachment 218961View attachment 218962

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I was hoping you were in Dundalk Ireland...I was going to get you to go grab me a good bottle of Bushmills and ship it to me.

Bigger splits make the bk happier. Also saves time processing.

Bigger splits make the bk happier. Also saves time processing.

Which I had big splits! I’m jealous of those 20lb oak splits. My wood came split, mix of ash/maple/oak/everything else, Wasn’t as I dry as I’d hoped so the smaller splits are probably a blessing in disguise.

Which I had big splits! I’m jealous of those 20lb oak splits. My wood came split, mix of ash/maple/oak/everything else, Wasn’t as I dry as I’d hoped so the smaller splits are probably a blessing in disguise.
I have some pretty big splits in the White Oak I've been bringing up to the house. It was split several years back when I saw guys here talking about how big splits burned longer. Later I realized that the big splits were only needed for tube stoves..with a cat stove you can cut the air to get the desired burn rate weather the splits are big or small. Now I split most of my stuff in the 4-6" range. Yeah, huge splits will burn slower, but I need heat out of the stove..not concerned with getting a super-slow burn.
Like you say, the smaller it is, the faster it dries..not that I'm concerned with that now that I'm five years ahead. ==c

Reactions: chance04
I have some pretty big splits in the White Oak I've been bringing up to the house. It was split several years back when I saw guys here talking about how big splits burned longer. Later I realized that the big splits were only needed for tube stoves..with a cat stove you can cut the air to get the desired burn rate weather the splits are big or small. Now I split most of my stuff in the 4-6" range. Yeah, huge splits will burn slower, but I need heat out of the stove..not concerned with getting a super-slow burn.
Like you say, the smaller it is, the faster it dries..not that I'm concerned with that now that I'm five years ahead. ==c
5 years?! Good lawd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ok well I had to attempt a best wack at the biggest princess load. Ok that doesn’t sound right. Anyhow, I’m not in good graces with the wife, (only been married a few years still figuring this out) but APPARENTLY the excuse of “the log I wanted to fit in the stove wouldn’t fit” does not qualify as a just excuse for firing up the STIHL 362 chainsaw at 10:30pm at night in the tuck under garage, split level house located in the city, in order to make the log fit.

However I will report, that there is currently 65lbs of oak and 46lbs of compressed wood logs inside the princess that just lit off for a grand total of 111lbs in a princess!

Ya and I know that last first log should have been spilt, but after the chain saw ordeal do you know how much trouble I’d be in if I fired up the log splitter too?

Ok well I had to attempt a best wack at the biggest princess load. Ok that doesn’t sound right. Anyhow, I’m not in good graces with the wife, (only been married a few years still figuring this out) but APPARENTLY the excuse of “the log I wanted to fit in the stove wouldn’t fit” does not qualify as a just excuse for firing up the STIHL 362 chainsaw at 10:30pm at night in the tuck under garage, split level house located in the city, in order to make the log fit.

However I will report, that there is currently 65lbs of oak and 46lbs of compressed wood logs inside the princess that just lit off for a grand total of 111lbs in a princess!

Ya and I know that last first log should have been spilt, but after the chain saw ordeal do you know how much trouble I’d be in if I fired up the log splitter too? View attachment 219063View attachment 219064View attachment 219065View attachment 219066

I admire and respect anyone that fires off a chainsaw after 10:00 P.M.! I think I'll get an electric one for the mud room and cut inside the house! 111lbs, that may be a record for a Princess!! You have inspired me to go home, empty coals, and look for some big pieces. I'm tired of the small logs, time to step it up!

Reactions: Blazing
Reactions: chance04
With normal sized splits, on the reload you can get more wood gassing faster, and the cat blazing sooner. If you have dense woods like White Oak, Black Locust and Hickory, getting big splits burning is a bee-otch. ;hm

Now if I had the king, which I can’t because of my 6” chimney, that big log would have fit not problem though the 10” high opening vs 9”....

Ya and I know that last first log should have been spilt, but after the chain saw ordeal do you know how much trouble I’d be in if I fired up the log splitter too? View attachment 219063View attachment 219064View attachment 219065View attachment 219066

This is the best BK post I've seen yet! A chainsaw at 10:30pm in the city, with thoughts of a log splitter too... had me laughing out loud here at work! My wife would kill me.

The finishing touch would be a handful of kiln dried cedar strips on top just to get the cat fired up in short order. And I think you could get another 5-10lbs of small splits wedged in here and there.

Here's video to help get the idea of the 362, imagine this at night in the city.

Last edited: