ACC Timer not working

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bcurley

Nov 11, 2014
Long Island, NY
This is my third season with my Heat N Glo Northstar and I have noticed that the ACC timer isn't working properly. When I engage it I can hear it ticking down, but it never fully closes leaving the air somewhat wide open until I manually close it myself. I am going to get a new timer, but was wondering if anyone knows what could be the cause of a faulty timer after only 2 seasons of burning. I would want to prevent this from happening again if I can.

Last edited:
Maybe something got sucked into the ACC intake and is preventing it from closing? Dead spider??

i've noticed it as well. i'm on season 2 (installed october 2015). i feel like when i set the ACC and place the air control at the desired level, it doesn't seem to reach it. perhaps i'm being impatient and haven't taken the time to see it out. in general, the ACC has little value to me since it's easy enough to tweak the air in passing moments. when i doubt, i burn too hot.

overall, i'm disappointed with the northstar. the dirty dots on the glass due to rivets in the stream of the air wash, the horrible customer service, and the failed/useless heat zone kit are all turnoffs. sure would be nice if there was a blazeking equivalent fireplace that would allow N/S loading and 24 hr burn times.

sure would be nice if there was a blazeking equivalent fireplace that would allow N/S loading and 24 hr burn times.

They do have some inserts available now that they just recently came out with in the last year or so.

I had a quad 3100 freestander with the ACC it would work fine but with dry wood and a tall stack (too good of draft) I found it to close too slowly. I would have to adjust it closed way faster than the timer ever did.

Does anyone know how I can access the ACC damper to take a look at it? I have taken off the grate from the bottom front to be able to see the mechanism, but I can't see the actual damper.

Does anyone know how I can access the ACC damper to take a look at it? I have taken off the grate from the bottom front to be able to see the mechanism, but I can't see the actual damper

Under the front floor? Timer replacement is on page 27 - 29 of the manual.

They do have some inserts available now that they just recently came out with in the last year or so.

I had a quad 3100 freestander with the ACC it would work fine but with dry wood and a tall stack (too good of draft) I found it to close too slowly. I would have to adjust it closed way faster than the timer ever did.

there was no insert that would fit in our existing ZC prefab fireplace except for the smallest of small inserts. i know the princess wouldn't.

Not that I know of. Maybe @DAKSY can expand further.

Status
Not open for further replies.