A fifteen hour Blaze King burn.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
Nothing spectacular but just an average everyday burn,red oak.Cat still active,plenty of coals house holding steady at 73 degrees,will reload about 6pm.
A fifteen hour Blaze King burn. A fifteen hour Blaze King burn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me get this right. You going to reload in 8hrs?

Yeah I’m luvin my King used to get up every 3 hours to load old stove. Now load the King at bed time don’t even think about it till noon. Might throw a few splits in during the day to make it till bedtime again.

Let me get this right. You going to reload in 8hrs?

I loaded her up last night at 7pm, the pics posted are 15 hrs later,will reload about 6 tonite.

That does it! I swear virtually all BK posts are related to the burn time which is soooo long, it needs to be expressed in scientific notation. Sometimes, I think I should purchase a BK just so I can make a post something like this...

"Hey guys, just bought a BK. Doesn't matter which model - they are all endorsed by the Council of Great Stoves. First burn - knew I had to have a smaller fire so that I can bake in the stove paint. Went into my kitchen and got 3 toothpicks (wood - no artificial colors/ingredients - couldn't test the moisture content as the probes were bigger than the toothpick, but felt dry). Took the wood load to the firebox and placed them on the surface. I was told in numerous forums, that a BK doesn't need a light, combustion just happens! Sure enough, as soon as I had closed the door to the BK and peered into the viewing window, and magically, the toothpicks started burning! Set the controls down for a low burn - just to get the stove up to temp. I watched the three toothpicks continue to burn like the proverbial burning bush in the Bible account - burning, but not consumed! Knowing that a BK is a 'set it and forget it', that's what I did. Checked in just before retiring for the night, and they were still burning! Pretty amazed - but went to bed. In the morning, the house was perfectly warm and no smell from the paint. Looked in the viewing window - and lo and behold - there were tiny beds of ash - just enough for me to toss in another toothpick to get it going again. A minute later - I put in 2 more toothpicks and I'm monitoring the burn right now. Amazing stove! Truly magical."

You guys might as well start posting pics of your super awesome dinner that you're eating too. It's just not necessary to post this stuff. If you really want to, save it for the BK thread.

That does it! I swear virtually all BK posts are related to the burn time which is soooo long, it needs to be expressed in scientific notation. Sometimes, I think I should purchase a BK just so I can make a post something like this...

"Hey guys, just bought a BK. Doesn't matter which model - they are all endorsed by the Council of Great Stoves. First burn - knew I had to have a smaller fire so that I can bake in the stove paint. Went into my kitchen and got 3 toothpicks (wood - no artificial colors/ingredients - couldn't test the moisture content as the probes were bigger than the toothpick, but felt dry). Took the wood load to the firebox and placed them on the surface. I was told in numerous forums, that a BK doesn't need a light, combustion just happens! Sure enough, as soon as I had closed the door to the BK and peered into the viewing window, and magically, the toothpicks started burning! Set the controls down for a low burn - just to get the stove up to temp. I watched the three toothpicks continue to burn like the proverbial burning bush in the Bible account - burning, but not consumed! Knowing that a BK is a 'set it and forget it', that's what I did. Checked in just before retiring for the night, and they were still burning! Pretty amazed - but went to bed. In the morning, the house was perfectly warm and no smell from the paint. Looked in the viewing window - and lo and behold - there were tiny beds of ash - just enough for me to toss in another toothpick to get it going again. A minute later - I put in 2 more toothpicks and I'm monitoring the burn right now. Amazing stove! Truly magical."

Just to annoy you, but coincidentally a true story: I burned for a weekend with sticks and twigs policed up out of my yard this fall, and found that it was possible to get 4-8 hours out of a load of
sticks and pinecones, starting from a warm stove.

15 hours isn't a 'long burn' story. The humble princess is rated at 27 hours.

If you want a good 'long burn' story, here ya go. :)

Reactions: Ashful
You guys might as well start posting pics of your super awesome dinner that you're eating too. It's just not necessary to post this stuff. If you really want to, save it for the BK thread.
A fifteen hour Blaze King burn.

None of you guys with regular sandwiches enjoy the long eat times that I enjoy with my Bacon King!

Last edited by a moderator:
They are great stoves with even better member following and manufacturer support.

In the fall and spring there is no better stove out there.

In the dead of winter (like we are experiencing now) they are just like any other stove with average burn times.

As a counter point I loaded the stove at 6:30 this morning full of red and white oak. Temp holding at 68. I will reload in an hour or so when the temp starts to drop in the house so about 8 hours.

Attachments

• A fifteen hour Blaze King burn.
    IMG_20190118_141012.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 198
Reactions: SpaceBus
No mention of thermostat setting. Not a real BK post.

Reactions: Ashful
No mention of thermostat setting. Not a real BK post.

Nor mention of how the 8 hour reload will be on top of a lot of remaining fuel. Are you turning up the thermostat when you feel the room cool Bholler, or just stuffing in more fuel on top? A guy could manage the thermostat settings so that the room temp will rise a bit and fall a bit at the end so that you stay warm and can reload a nearly empty firebox.

Nor mention of how the 8 hour reload will be on top of a lot of remaining fuel. Are you turning up the thermostat when you feel the room cool Bholler, or just stuffing in more fuel on top? A guy could manage the thermostat settings so that the room temp will rise a bit and fall a bit at the end so that you stay warm and can reload a nearly empty firebox.

He needs a 5 cf stove, and he's running a 2.5. I'm not sure that the brand matters.

Not to much fuel left. And i thought bks were set it and forget it

Reactions: Woody Stover
He needs a 5 cf stove, and he's running a 2.5. I'm not sure that the brand matters.

High heat load for sure but he's short loading, burning it like an undersized noncat and depending on the flash of gasses from fresh wood. Next we'll hear that it's coaling up. I think he needs to set the thermostat higher so that the natural decline in output near the end does not let the house cool too much. Running these things in full cycles is how they are designed to be run.

Why should i have to go up to 5 cu ft along with a new 8" chimney when 2.8 worked fine?

If it was me, it would be because I want to run my stove in its most efficient range of operation most of the time, and be able to have at least 14-16 hour burns in the coldest part of the year while I'm at work. (I can already do that with 2.5cf, but I think you need more BTUs than I do.)

Not to much fuel left. And i thought bks were set it and forget it

You need to set it properly though. Try turning it up higher if your house is cooling off before your fuel is mostly gone.

If it was me, it would be because I want to run my stove in its most efficient range of operation most of the time, and be able to have at least 14-16 hour burns in the coldest part of the year while I'm at work. (I can already do that with 2.5cf, but I think you need more BTUs than I do.)

Good post.

Isn't the princess 2.8? Maybe the insert is a little smaller.

You need to set it properly though. Try turning it up higher if your house is cooling off before your fuel is mostly gone.
Then i would only get 6 or 7 hours

For you to burn a load of oak in 8 hrs and have the glass dirty like that is weird. Not my experience. Glass should be clean with a burn rate of an 8 hrs load. Just saying.

Reactions: Highbeam
Then i would only get 6 or 7 hours

Try it. This isn’t a noncat. The idea is that you overheat your space by a few degrees during the bloom and then temperature falls back to desired temperature as the fuel burns up. Then another full load.

You have no idea what your burntime can be because you have been shortloading.

We have to assume that your draft is in spec and your fuel is of decent quality.

For you to burn a load of oak in 8 hrs and have the glass dirty like that is weird. Not my experience. Glass should be clean with a burn rate of an 8 hrs load. Just saying.

I noticed that too. See, he’s not burning a load of anything. He’s shortloading every 8 hours and running too cold for the space’s demand.

@bholler I noticed in one of your post you said your wood was not as dry this season could that be part of the reason for shorter burn times?

As far as BlazeKing not being any better than a tube stove in the dead of winter while possibly true in some cases is certainly not the case in all. It has warmed up to about-10f here today next couple nights will be around-30f and I’m still not running stove hard at all. Now I’m only heating a little over 1700 square feet with an ashford.