3-point snowblower thoughts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
there are blowers for the bobcats and the the big fels. plowed commercially for many years. losing snow out the side has a lot to do with the lot and the operator on a straight blade The most productive plow i used was the original Blizzard power plow - now owned by westerns parent corporation so it has been changed some but are still available as Blizzard, Western or Fisher. V plows have there place as well. towards the end of my run in plowing I switched to all Boss units , they are electrical and mechanically simpler and I could interchange the units between the trucks. i quit when Toro acquired boss and decided that you could only get parts from your dealer in your zip code area - crock of pasture paddies in my book. My shop is about 600 yards from the Western plant here in Milwaukee WI- but I can't buy parts there I have to drive 30 minutes or more to a dealer who almost always has to order the part. and of course is only open 9-5- . bust something that you do not have a backup for at 1 in the morning and you are sol. I stocked all my own parts . I spent more time repairing everybody else's pos than my own ( made decent coin at that though just a pia.) nothing like laying under a truck welding something back together at 0200dark ( western A frames and truck side mounts- lousy oem welds -no penetration- and those are robotic welds)

I've never used one but hate the idea of looking back over my shoulder, that's why we went with a plow with the third function kit.
The one individual that i know has one hates looking backward while using it. That is what is preventing me from purchasing one. I saw a video where the blower was mounted up front and it appears some conversion was made where he added a belly-shaft to power the unit in a foward position.

Reactions: thewoodlands
There will be a compromise no matter which way you go - no one perfect do-it-all setup.
Beg to differ Get some one else to clean your lane .
I did my own for a lot of years (truck with plow and
rear mount snow blower on tractor . Cost of equipment
repairs and maintenance cost a lot more than getting
one of my sons to do it at between 300 and 400 hundred
dollars a year. Much cheaper than buying back into it
and I stay warm and happy by the fire .

Reactions: VirginiaIron
Beg to differ Get some one else to clean your lane .
I did my own for a lot of years (truck with plow and
rear mount snow blower on tractor . Cost of equipment
repairs and maintenance cost a lot more than getting
one of my sons to do it at between 300 and 400 hundred
dollars a year. Much cheaper than buying back into it
and I stay warm and happy by the fire .

This is true if you only use the tractor or truck for clearing snow. It makes less sense for me to pay someone than use my tractor and rear mount blower in the long run, but only because I already have a tractor.

The one individual that i know has one hates looking backward while using it. That is what is preventing me from purchasing one. I saw a video where the blower was mounted up front and it appears some conversion was made where he added a belly-shaft to power the unit in a foward position.
I also plow a bunch of trails on the house lot through a bunch of pines so doing that with a snowblower on the back of the tractor wasn't for me.

Well, I finally made a decision on this. I've been debating the three-point blower for years but with all the back surgeries, my body just can't take turning around that much. I don't care for the inverted three-point blowers either so that really left just a front mount. I had my Kioti CK27 HST in for a service and was bs'ing with the sales manager and decided to pull the trigger on an upgrade. I ended up with a Kioti DK4210SE HST with the 72" front blower. The cab will also be a blessing with the winters we have here. The 27HP tractor did most everything I needed it to do here so the 42HP will be plenty. Supposed to take delivery tomorrow of the tractor with FEL, forks and grader/scraper and the snow blower should be in next month. Bring it on Mother Nature.

KIOTI-front-mount-snow-blower_0717-copy.jpg

kioti-front-mount-snow-blower_0717-copy-jpg.jpg

You're looking pretty good in that pic..

Well, I finally made a decision on this. I've been debating the three-point blower for years but with all the back surgeries, my body just can't take turning around that much. I don't care for the inverted three-point blowers either so that really left just a front mount. I had my Kioti CK27 HST in for a service and was bs'ing with the sales manager and decided to pull the trigger on an upgrade. I ended up with a Kioti DK4210SE HST with the 72" front blower. The cab will also be a blessing with the winters we have here. The 27HP tractor did most everything I needed it to do here so the 42HP will be plenty. Supposed to take delivery tomorrow of the tractor with FEL, forks and grader/scraper and the snow blower should be in next month. Bring it on Mother Nature.

View attachment 246568
Does the blonde in the cab come with it?

Reactions: EODMSgt
Nice
I do prefer a front mount myself enjoy

Nice! You will like the DK chassis. I think it's the perfect size, but my wife says it's a giant tractor.

Nice! You will like the DK chassis. I think it's the perfect size, but my wife says it's a giant tractor.

The DK chassis is pretty much the same size as my older CK so dimension-wise it's not a change. The only real difference I will have to get used to is having a cab. Just means I have to build a new pole barn now...

I cringe whenever I see someone, especially an older person, driving an open station tractor with a rear mounted blower, backwards into a snowbank. The operator is invariably bundled up and covered with snow.
Excepting the age, I’m not old (yet), that’s me. I’m pushing a 64” rear-mounted Woods SB-64S 3-point blower with a Deere 855 3-cylinder diesel hydrostatic machine with front-end loader.

37c398e59e67c6cba65b986b2feb855e.jpg

I didn’t want to give up the loader to use a front-mounted snow blower, and I’m glad I went this route, it works extremely well. BUT... I do wish I had a cab. I get completely covered in snow, if there’s any wind blowing, as there tends to be after a storm.

My machine is only rated 23 hp, but it’s diesel, so more torque than any similarly-rated gasser. It still bogs when I get into snow much over 20” deep. We can sometimes get over 30” in a single storm, but most of our storms are 12” or less. I went 64” wide, to exceed the track width of my machine. I don’t know how you’d even use a blower with a track width narrower than your machine, you’d be riding up on the banks and lifting the blower off the driveway.

Maybe driving backwards will bother me someday, but not today, it’s a complete non-issue. If you really can’t manage to look behind you for the time it takes to clear a driveway, maybe you need to see a chiropractor, or hire someone in better shape to do the job for you. I really can’t believe people make an issue of this, but maybe I’ll change my tune when I’m an old fart.

If we get less than 6 inches, I don’t even bother hooking up the snow blower, I can do that quicker with the FEL.

Last edited:
The DK chassis is pretty much the same size as my older CK so dimension-wise it's not a change. The only real difference I will have to get used to is having a cab. Just means I have to build a new pole barn now...

I would have liked a cab, but I am mostly doing forestry work. I'd really like a cage though

Nice tractor EODMSgt!

Ok so when it doesn't snow this year we complain or thank the Sgt?

Reactions: Ashful
I have fabricated a mount to attach the 3 point to a loader then replaced PTO with hydraulic motor. As long as you have the extra remotes that can flow enough GPM it is easy. The other option is a pro mounted pump used for a planter to create the flow needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have fabricated a mount to attach the 3 point to a loader then replaced PTO with hydraulic motor. As long as you have the extra remotes that can flow enough GPM it is easy. The other option is a pro mounted pump used for a planter to create the flow needed.

That sounds great and just the right project for me. I would like to see some photos if you have them available.
Also, what size blower and motor did you use?

Reactions: SpaceBus
Ok so when it doesn't snow this year we complain or thank the Sgt?
Sshhhh your mouth!!

I'm waiting for my 2020 SkiDoo 850 to come in. It better snow!

Could you please post some photos? After we build a barn I really want to get a decent welder. Possibly welder/generator or an ESAB Revel.

Could you please post some photos? After we build a barn I really want to get a decent welder. Possibly welder/generator or an ESAB Revel.

A 1:4 gearbox mounted to the PTO shaft that has attached to it a gear drive pump gets the flow rates up to where they need to be. That's how Pronovost does it anyway for their front mounted blower. I'm sure others do it the same way.