3-point snowblower thoughts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EODMSgt

Feeling the Heat
Dec 11, 2018
White Mountain Region, NH
Ok, I realize everyone is just getting over winter and no one wants to think about next snow season however I think I will finally break down and get a snowblower for the tractor this year. We only have three seasons here, winter, recovering from winter and getting ready for winter so it pays to be proactive. I was still CSS firewood well into January so keeping routes clear of snow is time consuming with the FEL.

I'm looking along the lines of the one shown below so any thoughts from those that have one would be appreciated. I have a Kioti CK27 HST so that has to be taken into consideration for HP.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200435195_200435195

Reactions: thewoodlands
Ok, I realize everyone is just getting over winter and no one wants to think about next snow season however I think I will finally break down and get a snowblower for the tractor this year. We only have three seasons here, winter, recovering from winter and getting ready for winter so it pays to be proactive. I was still CSS firewood well into January so keeping routes clear of snow is time consuming with the FEL.

I'm looking along the lines of the one shown below so any thoughts from those that have one would be appreciated. I have a Kioti CK27 HST so that has to be taken into consideration for HP.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200435195_200435195
I've never used one but hate the idea of looking back over my shoulder, that's why we went with a plow with the third function kit.

I've never used one but hate the idea of looking back over my shoulder, that's why we went with a plow with the third function kit.

I'm not overly thrilled with the idea of always turning backwards, especially after all the back surgeries, and that's why I've put it off for so long. I was looking at the Kioti front-mounted snowblower for years however they are too expensive and brand/machine specific whereas the 3-point models can be used on any brand.

Reactions: thewoodlands
It can be nice to have blower on the front & no turning around.

It can also be nice to have a blade/bucket on the front & blower on the back at the same time.

digging a bit finds min. 16hp for pto as a requirement. Also have to remember that 3 points do not have down pressure but float, which means in some type of snow you tend to ride up over the top. Friend added one to his Kubota likes it so far but only used maybe twice this last season. He was laid-up with skiing injuries, which was another reason for purchase.

Reactions: EODMSgt
It can be nice to have blower on the front & no turning around.

It can also be nice to have a blade/bucket on the front & blower on the back at the same time.

Good point as I would still need the bucket to move stuff and push back snowbanks.

digging a bit finds min. 16hp for pto as a requirement. Also have to remember that 3 points do not have down pressure but float, which means in some type of snow you tend to ride up over the top. Friend added one to his Kubota likes it so far but only used maybe twice this last season. He was laid-up with skiing injuries, which was another reason for purchase.

My tractor is a 27HP so I'm covered there. Something to think about with the 'floating' of the 3-point. I think it would be like any other implement, just takes time to learn the best way to use it. I would still have the bucket on the front for the stubborn stuff.

I have a blizzard 74" that is amazing. I do have the next size up Kioti, but I think it would work for you as well. I bought it through my dealer. Initially I thought a fro t mount would be nice, but having the bucket on front and blower in the back is awesome. I have only dealt with snow so far by hand, with my Husqvarna walk behind, and this setup. A plow on the front would be nice, but the snowblower just makes it all go away.

Attachments

• 20190304_172252.jpg
    20190304_172252.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 345
My first time using it I did break a shear pin, but I did the same with the walk behind. Unfortunately my dealer forgot to include some extras, so we used the walk behind and the bucket to clear snow that day, which was the last big snow anyway. Make sure to check your turnbuckles and top link occasionally while using it, they like to vibrate loose on me. Same with the land plane as well.

Screw looking over your shoulders. Get an inverted blower. Space Bus is welcome to share the picture of my Normand 82".

Screw looking over your shoulders. Get an inverted blower. Space Bus is welcome to share the picture of my Normand 82".

Came to say exactly this. Life's too short to be backing up to clear snow everywhere you go.

Eh, front mount blowers are quite expensive, so I don't mind driving backwards and then also have the ability to have the bucket on the front.

Also consider the track width of your tires.

Pulling up what I believe are the specs for your tractor, it lists as being 54.6" wide. The snowblower for which you provided a link is only 50" wide. Things go much easier if your rear snowblower is wider than your track width.

Last edited:

Don't think an inverted blower would work that well in a 2' snowfall? And 4-5' drifts? We get snow here you can't drive a tractor through unless there is a plow or blower preceeding it.

Don't think an inverted blower would work that well in a 2' snowfall? And 4-5' drifts? We get snow here you can't drive a tractor through unless there is a plow or blower preceeding it.
Here's the pic Bad LP sent of his setup. The inverted units do look like a nice setup, but when I got my blower I only had one remote. I don't mind manual control and driving backwards, but I suspect that one day I will tire of it. Maybe then I'll get a back blade and a front mount blower.

Attachments

• IMG_2095.jpg
    IMG_2095.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 292
Reactions: TreePointer

This past year was my 40th consecutive year of moving snow. I have worked for the state on highways all the way down to doing my own thing. I have always plowed with the storm. Even with a blower I always remove the snow with the storm. It's how I was taught and it's much easier on equipment.
I have a NH4835 with a 72" Pronovost hydro front blower on a quick attach plate down here at work. Our driveway is just about 1/2 mile and I also take care of the neighbor across the street with a 1/4 mile driveway. In Maine I have the 84" Normand Inverted and I will tell you it is an animal removing snow. I widen my driveway from the plow guy no problem and remove his snow piles. Break them apart with the loader and send them into the woods.

Having both styles of machines I'd take an inverted blower over a front mounted unit all day, everyday. All that blowing snow dust is behind you. I've never had to stop with my inverted. I can not say that about the front blower.

This past year was my 40th consecutive year of moving snow. I have worked for the state on highways all the way down to doing my own thing. I have always plowed with the storm. Even with a blower I always remove the snow with the storm. It's how I was taught and it's much easier on equipment.
I have a NH4835 with a 72" Pronovost hydro front blower on a quick attach plate down here at work. Our driveway is just about 1/2 mile and I also take care of the neighbor across the street with a 1/4 mile driveway. In Maine I have the 84" Normand Inverted and I will tell you it is an animal removing snow. I widen my driveway from the plow guy no problem and remove his snow piles. Break them apart with the loader and send them into the woods.

Having both styles of machines I'd take an inverted blower over a front mounted unit all day, everyday. All that blowing snow dust is behind you. I've never had to stop with my inverted. I can not say that about the front blower.

Something to think about for the future however I don't think they make an inverted snowblower for a 27HP tractor. It's done just everything I've needed it to do over the last six years so not looking to upgrade the tractor at this time.

Also consider the track width of your tires.

Pulling up what I believe are the specs for your tractor, it lists as being 54.6" wide. The snowblower for which you provided a link is only 50" wide. Things go much easier if your rear snowblower is wider than your track width.

Good point. I was just window shopping when I put up the snowblower in the original post. If/when I decide to get one, it will definitely be wider than the track as you mentioned.

Just for kicks, why don’t you see what your current tractor will bring in trade for a new, slightly more powerful cab model with a hst and mid pto / front mounted blower.

I cringe whenever I see someone, especially an older person, driving an open station tractor with a rear mounted blower, backwards into a snowbank. The operator is invariably bundled up and covered with snow.

In my opinion, part of living in the north country is facing the fact that dealing with snow includes a financial investment. In this case, a cab and front blower is well worth the money.

... My tractor is a 27HP so I'm covered there …

27 is good.

I have a 1994 16-hp Simplicity Landlord garden tractor with a PTO. I looked into getting a front snowblower for it when we moved to central MA in 2003 and the area averages almost 70 inches of snow a year. The guy at the dealership said he's not a fan of snowblowers on tractors. That is, the engine had to move and do a lot: the weight of the tractor, probably heavy wheel weights and chains, weight of the user, and run the snowblower.

I have a smallish driveway here in MA, so I bought a regular snowblower. I do have a blade for the tractor that I put on in the fall since that was all I needed in central NJ where we averaged only 20-something inches of snow a year.

going backwards with blower and tractor - Back up cams make life bearable and the there are rigs for under a c note. Some sort of cab is a nice touch heck they even have those 3 walled ones for the walkbehinds. most blowers for 3 point and or front have rated minimum hp wise for the ptos. ptos are always about 6-7 hp less that the engine rating. My MF is around 25 up front and 19-20 at the pto -Diesel so a lot of torque. this is a compact size not a sub compact or a lawn mower unit. it has a FEL and 6ft cut, rough cut belly mower and a full cab with heat. class 1 3 point right around 48" wide tread wise.

Last edited:
Just for kicks, why don’t you see what your current tractor will bring in trade for a new, slightly more powerful cab model with a hst and mid pto / front mounted blower.

I cringe whenever I see someone, especially an older person, driving an open station tractor with a rear mounted blower, backwards into a snowbank. The operator is invariably bundled up and covered with snow.

In my opinion, part of living in the north country is facing the fact that dealing with snow includes a financial investment. In this case, a cab and front blower is well worth the money.

^^ This is on target.

Where I am in PA, we average a little over 30" of annual snowfall. I don't clear the driveway after every little snow storm because all our vehicles easily can navigate an inch or two, and the snow often disappears after a couple days. Anything deeper, I'll clear the driveway with the rear snowblower. This translates into needing to clear the driveway with the rear snowblower about 3-6 times per winter (rarely more).

When the wind is whipping dry snow back in my face, it really makes me regret not having an enclosed cab; however, I endure it because I don't have to do it very often. If I lived a county or two north of me where they get a lot more snow, I'd certainly have an enclosed cab.

I moved to SECT in '95. 102" of snow that year. Thankfully I was renting at the time so snow removal was the landlords problem.

Built the house in '96 and promptly bought an 8 hp 26" MTD blower. For a cheaper unit, it has tackled everything I ever asked it to do, including several major blizzards over the years. Still have it but it's semi retired and in dry storage.

I also had a 42" blade on a POS Craftsman lawn tractor. OK for dusting clean up or final clean up after blowing but honestly it was just a piece of crap.

I now have a '94 JD 425 garden tractor, with hydraulic front quick hitch (down pressure will pick front wheels up 6" in the air), 54" blade & 47" shaft drive blower, 50 lb weights on each rear (turf) tire, 2 link chains (instead of the cheaper 4 link ones) and I can add the rear weight box with upward of 500 lb of suitcase weights & lead bricks if needed. Even on my 12% grade driveway, I rarely need the use the diff lock, although I do wish the tractor was 4x4.

After one windy storm I was clearing the compacted crap that the state truck left in front of my mailbox and wound up sucking up a 15' long x 2"+ diameter dead tree branch that was buried in the snow bank. The blower chewed it up and spit it out like a wood chipper, never sheared a bolt or stalled the 20 hp tractor. That event impressed the crap out of me.

At work (power plant) we have two 66,000 lb Volvo loaders with buckets, 2 bobcats (bucket or 6' plow) and 2 F-250's with 8' blades. We have to keep our site & parking areas open as well as our 1.5 mile long access road.

IMO, plowing a parking lot with a truck sucks. You can't go fast enough to roll or throw the snow properly. You sometimes spill off the wrong side of the blade, and have re-work. The piles and banks have to get moved with a loader before the next storm.

With a blower, every pass makes a clear path and is 100% productive. All you do is drive and all the crap flies away, no piles, no banks, and everything is scraped down to 1/4" or less. Hands down my favorite snow implement is the tractor & blower.