2023/24 VC owners thread general discussion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
@JohnDaileyNH and @Woodsplitter67 I see you both run the Encore 2040. I almost got that one but decided to go with the Defiant 1975. Is there much of a difference between the Encore and Defiant? Or is basically the same stove just that the Encore is slightly smaller?

I believe they are very similar with the exception of the size. I considered a Defiant but it was just too big for my space

There are probably more differences between my Encore Cat-C and @Woodsplitter67 's Encore than your defiant and my Encore. His stove is at least one model before mine

Low 40s at night high of 60 sat and sun. Probably light it tonight burn a half load and house will be warm in the morning still. Then repeat again tomorrow night. I haven't turned the blower on the stove yet haven't needed it.

Last year when I was learning I went to hard to soon the house would be 80. Windows open, clothes coming off. So many rookie mistakes. We're dialed in now though

That's so funny.. I hate to tell you.. we've all been there.. There's been a couple of times in my house in the beginning, were we've been practically in Bathing suits.. You think, couple more logs wouldn't hurt.. next thing you know your sweating in the living room just in your underwear.. pounding ice tea..

• Haha
Reactions: weee123
I believe they are very similar with the exception of the size. I considered a Defiant but it was just too big for my space

There are probably more differences between my Encore Cat-C and @Woodsplitter67 's Encore than your defiant and my Encore. His stove is at least one model before mine

is it possible for you to take a picture of your primary air intake with it fully open .. just as a reference.. you have the the cat-c and @AsylumResident could use it as a reference to see if there is as issue with his primary air

I believe his is the newer cat-c..

This is almost an exact description of what happened, just replace the iced tea wit Miller Lite. Just sitting on the couch sweating saying this fire is hot it will burn fast then cool down in here. I had no clue how to do any of it. The manual said make the stove nice and hot before engaging the cat so that's exactly what I did

Reactions: weee123
Low 40s at night high of 60 sat and sun. Probably light it tonight burn a half load and house will be warm in the morning still. Then repeat again tomorrow night. I haven't turned the blower on the stove yet haven't needed it.

Last year when I was learning I went to hard to soon the house would be 80. Windows open, clothes coming off. So many rookie mistakes. We're dialed in now though

Clothes coming off isnt necessarily a bad thing! ;)

I am very interested to see the air intake, thank you @Woodsplitter67 for mentioning it. Mine doesn't seem to open as far as I think it should. I made an adjustment last night and will take a picture later today when I get back home.
Alright these aren't the best. My stove has this cover over the air intake and I can't get back there enough to take it off. But you can see the flap open and closed through the cover especially to the right side

2023/24 VC owners thread general discussion 2023/24 VC owners thread general discussion

That's so funny.. I hate to tell you.. we've all been there.. There's been a couple of times in my house in the beginning, were we've been practically in Bathing suits.. You think, couple more logs wouldn't hurt.. next thing you know your sweating in the living room just in your underwear.. pounding ice tea..

I’ve had my living room to 93 degrees based off the room thermometer I have in there lol

I’ve had my living room to 93 degrees based off the room thermometer I have in there lol

I think we've all learned.. small fires in shoulder season..

unless you like it to feel like death valley in your living room in October

Here is a the primary air all the way open. This is physically as far as it can open. If I push it by hand something solid stops it. 2023/24 VC owners thread general discussion2023/24 VC owners thread general discussion

My Auber AT100TC showed up today. Hopefully the install for this is pretty easy - the probe that I ordered with it looks like it's roughly the same width as the stock catalyst probe. Time to break out the calipers and measure

My Auber AT100TC showed up today. Hopefully the install for this is pretty easy - the probe that I ordered with it looks like it's roughly the same width as the stock catalyst probe. Time to break out the calipers and measure
I just installed mine and have been watching the temp most of the afternoon. Now that I have it, I couldn’t imagine trying to tune this thing in without it.

It's pretty easy. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes

I'd say that appears as if it's open as much as mine
I would agree. At this point, seeing what my Cat temps are while burning and assuming the primary air is functioning properly, I think draft is my last issue that I need to address. When I have the stove up to temp with hot coals, load it up with seasoned wood (measured), close the by pass and set the primary to about half my glass goes brown. My STT at about 500 and the cat at 1200 it starts to go brown.

My experience is that this stove requires wide open air to clean the glass. The more you cut it back it will brown. Especially overnight. When running 24/7, my night burn I'm about 90% closed. Wake up and it's got some brown. During the day I try and leave the air halfway and it doesn't really brown up on me

Well I just found this season's thread.
I'm going to reseal the adapter I made for my VC dauntless to the old open face fireplace.
FYI, I used a 3in-8in round flange and I'm pretty sure my lack of draft issue was a poor seal at the fireplace union junction. I'll do that after I sweep the house chimney.
Side note, just got my drop off of 4 cords of mixed fir and oak. My guy pre spilt it all for me this year. That's a nice change.

let us know how it went.. maybe show a picture.. or 2

I would agree. At this point, seeing what my Cat temps are while burning and assuming the primary air is functioning properly, I think draft is my last issue that I need to address. When I have the stove up to temp with hot coals, load it up with seasoned wood (measured), close the by pass and set the primary to about half my glass goes brown. My STT at about 500 and the cat at 1200 it starts to go brown.

Those are pretty good temps.. Is there anyway you can talk to the company you purchased from and see if the can swap some of your pipe to 8 inch to increase the draft.. If I remember correctly you did Indicate that the installer was going out to your house

Well I just found this season's thread.
I'm going to reseal the adapter I made for my VC dauntless to the old open face fireplace.
FYI, I used a 3in-8in round flange and I'm pretty sure my lack of draft issue was a poor seal at the fireplace union junction. I'll do that after I sweep the house chimney.
Side note, just got my drop off of 4 cords of mixed fir and oak. My guy pre spilt it all for me this year. That's a nice change.

Awfully late to get wood delivered, what kind of moisture content is the wood?