2020-21 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't wait to see how this goes. Sincerely. I would love to see someone actually do this repair.

Honestly I know it can be a problem but we rarely see it. I guess I don’t worry about it since I have a few friends that could repair it easy enough. The hardest part would be moving the stove outside and flipping it over. ;lol

Reactions: Highbeam
Anybody had to repair a door handle on a princess insert? Mine wobbles like crazy. I think a brass bushing inside is worn out. Can it be replaced or do I need a whole handle assembly? Thanks

does the stove burn less wood as the weather warms up? I put less wood in this am and there was more left than yesterday when I went to reload. I believe I’m putting at about the same setting. I was kinda joking about replacing with a king. If we had a little more cold weather I could see it but the princess is the perfect size really. Would be interesting to try and get a 24 hr burn cycle with the king but I suspect for most of our season it would just be too much stove.

Since the stove has a thermostat, it should automatically burn less wood to maintain stove temperature when the room is warm. Also, draft is weaker when the weather is warmer so less air is being sucked in at a given thermostat setting. All to say, somehow the stove seems to adjust for weather in a positive way.

They are not 4 individual pieces on all models. Also, for the past several years they are a one piece section. They do not melt away. They can warp or become warped under certain circumstances. If they melted, they would not be there any longer. Additionally, few, very few ever experience any problem.

You can check, as Highbeam suggested, by doing the dollar bill test.

I fear the term “melt away” is offensive so maybe there is a better term for get so hot that they permanently sag into a different shape. They don’t turn to actual molten metal!

Reactions: Brutus0115
Anybody had to repair a door handle on a princess insert? Mine wobbles like crazy. I think a brass bushing inside is worn out. Can it be replaced or do I need a whole handle assembly? Thanks
First, peel back the door gasket slightly where the nose block attaches to the door. You can use a ball-end allen wrench and tighten the two hex head bolts. If it is still loose, you can have a dealer order that brass nose block/handle.

First, peel back the door gasket slightly where the nose block attaches to the door. You can use a ball-end allen wrench and tighten the two hex head bolts. If it is still loose, you can have a dealer order that brass nose block/handle.
Thanks for the quick reply. Will do.

Can't wait to see how this goes. Sincerely. I would love to see someone actually do this repair.

I will work on this today. I have been waiting a very long time to get a Princess Insert and I am confident this 2006 model still has lots of fuel in the tank. Stay tuned...

For those that have coals they want to burn down decently quick, here's what I do; I have a metal 3 prong garden rake, I'll rake my coals all forward towards the loading door, sometimes I can push ash back to the backside of the fire box to, with the coals forward I can throw a couple small split on top of pine or ash (only like 2 or 3) I then close the by-pass but open the t-stat almost all they way, give it a couple hours and the rock size coals are reduced to pea gravel.

Heres some food for thought, I've been known to complain about excessive draft issues with my setup and for this season I've decided to test a plan (which goes against every fiddling part of me) So far in this burning season I've experienced a great mix of shoulder season mild temps, cool temps, rainy days, clear days. transitioned to winter, had an impressive Nor'easter with icy cold winds blasting away, heavy snow and then an arctic chill with temps this morning down to -2 deg f.
My test was simple, keep the upper stove pipe damper closed all the way except for stove loading, let the stove do the work, dont fiddle with the t-stat (unless its warmer out) and burn all loads completely down to golf ball size coals before attempting to reload.
My results have me feeling really good about this stove, especially with heating my entire house from the a non -insulated cement block basement, my upstairs house temps have ranged from 74 during the day when temps are above 32 deg f, to 68 deg f on cold windy days, or like last night when the temps dropped below zero deg f.
The loading schedule hasnt really changed, I'm doing on average 2 loadings a day, more or less 12hrs per load, which can def be stretched during warmer weather (this is nothing new, a simple t-stat adjustment is all that's needed)
My flames are absolutely awesome, just candle like wiffs with occasion secondary gas like flames, it took a while to trust the damper and let the fire do what it has to do, last year I kept fiddling thinking I was making things run easier, chasing the t-stat, opening and closing the damper, felt like I was in the engine room of a WWII battle ship lol.

It’s definitely helpful to have the knowledge of these blaze kings on this forum for figuring out these crazy stoves. I realized I asked a dumb question yesterday about having the longer burn time on a warmer day. Although these dumb questions are the reason I ended up with one.

I’m also thinking that even though I have a crazy variety of wood species to choose from where I’m at, I’ll probably stick with fir just simply because so far it seems predictable. A load of oak or madrona would be like having to learn a different stove. Maybe just for curiosity I might play around on a weekend with something new but it would have to be a looong cold weekend. I might have a huge tree job over on fox island that has a bunch of madrona and maybe I’ll throw a pickup load in. I’ve burned it before and it’s similar to oak.

If you can touch your bypass gasket, the bypass gasket retainers are the really thin metal brackets that make up the channel that holds that gasket. Four separate welded in brackets that frame the bypass opening.

Ideally, everything stays put and you never need to know that these are made to melt away. If they aren’t intentionally designed to melt away then they are obviously not engineered well.

To test whether yours have melted away you can do a regular dollar bill test on the bypass seal. Sometimes it is horribly obvious as above.

yes, i know you've given some me advice about these in the past, but i'm still uncertain what you're talking about. if someone ever has a cold stove and can snap a pick, that'd be lovely

can somebody post a pic of these retainers? there's nothing labelled as such in my stove manual, and I'll be darned if i can figure out what you fellas are talking about.

The retainer is a welded in channel designed to hold 5/8 inch rope gasket. I’m in the process of grinding out the welds, removing this and welding in a new one. I will very carefully flip the stove on its top and go at it from there.

Attachments

• 2020-21 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK)
    1DE99482-04F1-4552-9380-61BA68522E80.jpeg
    259.1 KB · Views: 162
  • 2020-21 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK)
    674B8497-56CB-475D-A2FB-778AA283108A.jpeg
    174.3 KB · Views: 158
The retainer is a welded in channel designed to hold 5/8 inch rope gasket. I’m in the process of grinding out the welds, removing this and welding in a new one. I will very carefully flip the stove on its top and go at it from there.
i had no idea that there was a groove/channel like that under the bypass gasket. now i get it. thanks so much :)

Reactions: BoilerBob

Cool! Provide details like what you are using to grind out the welds and how easy it is. Were the new retainers expensive? How precise do you need to be when welding in the new ones?

Reactions: YAGER85
Cool! Provide details like what you are using to grind out the welds and how easy it is. Were the new retainers expensive? How precise do you need to be when welding in the new ones?

Now I have a fantastic excuse to buy an angle grinder and one of those weird welding clamps. I will not however be able to convince my wife to get a welder. But I know people.

Now I have a fantastic excuse to buy an angle grinder and one of those weird welding clamps. I will not however be able to convince my wife to get a welder. But I know people.

99$ at harbor freight!

99$ at harbor freight!
not enough ummfff with that, you need more amps to penetrate the steel, even grinding down the steel in a v probabaly isnt enough

not enough ummfff with that, you need more amps to penetrate the steel, even grinding down the steel in a v probabaly isnt enough

Do you own one? I do and this weld is certainly within the realm of its capability. These brackets are super thin and the cat chamber isn’t terribly thick either. You would be amazed at what these little flux core welders can do, check out YouTube.

That said, it would be better to turn a higher quality welder down. Gas, better control and smoother.

Do you own one? I do and this weld is certainly within the realm of its capability. These brackets are super thin and the cat chamber isn’t terribly thick either. You would be amazed at what these little flux core welders can do, check out YouTube.

That said, it would be better to turn a higher quality welder down. Gas, better control and smoother.
maybe I got this wrong here, but Im thinking 1/2" us steel, replacing the upper portion of the stove? Maybe Im in the wrong, havent had dinner yet and hangry

maybe I got this wrong here, but Im thinking 1/2" us steel, replacing the upper portion of the stove? Maybe Im in the wrong, havent had dinner yet and hangry

Oh no, the BK is designed pretty well so nothing on this stove is overly thick. He’s tacking something about the thickness of exhaust pipe (less than 1/8”) to something about 1/4” thick.

I seriously straightened out these brackets when mine sagged out of place using a bottle jack on a 4x4 on top of the bricks.

Last edited:
Reactions: kennyp2339
The bypass is 1/2" steel. Air tubes are 1/4" dome assembly is comprise of 3/8" and 1/2" steel. There are PLENTY of thick steel components is our stoves. Please do not inadvertently mislead people about the materials.

In comparison to secondary combustion stoves, which destroy particulates thermally, ours and most cat stove do so chemically. In doing so, firebox components are not compromised when used correctly.

I'll bet his insert looks great when it's finished.

The bypass is 1/2" steel. Air tubes are 1/4" dome assembly is comprise of 3/8" and 1/2" steel. There are PLENTY of thick steel components is our stoves. Please do not inadvertently mislead people about the materials.

In comparison to secondary combustion stoves, which destroy particulates thermally, ours and most cat stove do so chemically. In doing so, firebox components are not compromised when used correctly.

No worries BKVP, we know the quality of your stoves!
BK's are phenomenal stoves!

No worries BKVP, we know the quality of your stoves!
BK's are phenomenal stoves!

Reactions: Indianawood
For the better part of 25 years I've had the responsibility to correct misinformation. 6 years ago my contemporaries voted me co-chair for the solid fuel section. It's an honor and I'm appreciative. I guess I have that DNA.

Key to our industry is to go head-on to combat misinformation. Whether it's state, federal or regional air quality staff, other manufacturers etc. I've fought the battle by attending every meeting held by regulators since Sept. of 2010. Plenty of air miles!

On this site, the are hundreds, perhaps thousands of visitors that never comment. They read and often view regular contributors as experts. The words of experts should be chosen carefully.

In doing so, we all contribute to the quality of the information we share. We owe that to the readers and each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.