2019 Garden Thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
i put the pile of rocks there, because the fuzz bucket loves to lie right on top of it!

Living in the PNW, if you didn't have a top on the bin you'd have a soggy, anaerobic blob by June. And the chickens would have it launched all over the yard!
View attachment 242614

we used to have a road sign attached to a string, so we could pull it from our window... it was fantastic. My neighbors must have thought we were a little nuts...
bRwHDKOgWJhO_1BtMcQoXe5Z1ZaszuqsmczfWMprxdEqYuqRDqWq_hqSwLGKQogG7aeYaVnA8yA3Hb12hPR=w484-h726-no.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: AlbergSteve
My tulips are up a few inches and yesterday they got covered in a few inches of wet snow with more coming tonight. My new peach tree and 50 strawberry plants arrived yesterday as well in the snowstorm...

Our tulips are blooming and happy in this spring weather. Dafflodils are nearing the end of their bllom. Lilacs are next.

Our tulips are blooming and happy in this spring weather. Dafflodils are nearing the end of their bllom. Lilacs are next.

I miss tulips, daffodils, and lilacs. All my life those were the joys of spring, but they just aren’t plants that would thrive in this area. We do have some lovely alternatives, though. It rained on Sunday morning after a long dry spell, and I really enjoy seeing the rain lilies come out a few days later.
8D61005D-98F9-4E19-B5FC-F7BFA70435A4.jpeg

The weather was quite warm last week, then we got some cooling storms with about an inch of rain. It warmed up again to the eighties and even nineties on Wednesday. The peppers, cucumbers, and tomatoes seem to be enjoying it.

B4FED1F7-2E29-451A-9302-D2264FE28D13.jpeg 94CFA93C-44A8-4E26-ADB8-E1C491286BF8.jpeg 1820AE10-29FC-4F9C-8CCE-99514586D855.jpeg

I personally enjoyed the cooler days, and I’m hoping for some more rain by morning. If the front does push this far south, I may even need to pull the frost cloth out again (not for actual frost, just a little heat retention).

The current “mulch” by the way is oak catkins that Sunday’s storms brought down in our back yard. The kids helped clean up and we used two big wheelbarrow loads around the taller plants. We need to add some wood chips, but blueberry netting will be higher priority tomorrow.

I can recall motorcycling in south Texas and loving the scents of spring there. You are way ahead of us this year. Feb here was deep freeze.

I can recall motorcycling in south Texas and loving the scents of spring there. You are way ahead of us this year. Feb here was deep freeze.

I’ve definitely noticed some sweet aromas in the air for the past few weeks. I think it has been oak pollen. Last month the mountain laurel was fragrant (it’s always described as smelling like artificial grape flavor). On Saturday after a brief and, thankfully, not-too-damaging hail storm, the air was positively tangy. I think it was bruised cedar, rosemary and Mexican oregano. The cedar is invasive all over our land, and the herbs are huge shrubs in our landscaping. It was a beautiful smell in the post-storm air.

We certainly didn’t have the cold February you had, but it means that we won’t have any peaches or cherries this year. Three days of freeze in March froze our small fruits, and I was even worried about whether there was too much leaf damage on the peach. It seems to have recovered nicely. (We only had a few peaches last year and no cherries because of squirrels, but this year there are none left to try to protect.)

Last year I really did not understand that despite the early and late frost dates there isn’t a nice, long growing season in this part of Texas. It’s simply too hot in summer, and plants hunker down for self-preservation and nothing more. It’s apparently two shortish growing seasons in spring and fall. I’m doing my best to get my plants growing and producing sooner rather than later because the days are heating up, though the nights can still be cool on occasion, and it goes against all my previous gardening experience to rush to get plants in the ground.

My six-year-old daughter is really delighting in the buds, blossoms, and tiny fruits she finds. She delighted me the other night by seeing that a cucumber tendril had wound itself tight around the wire and exclaiming, “Mommy, the cucumber’s tendrils are getting more muscles every day!”

07F2F3DB-94F1-4696-AB05-4B305C7F190B.jpeg

She’s also very proud of “her” baby tomatoes and peppers.

3AB504E8-AB08-47A6-8C10-54DC73FC1FF4.jpeg

Part of moving our garden area this year involved relocating our blueberries. We put them in an unused bed in our backyard that had unfortunately started growing a lush crop of poison hemlock earlier this spring. Moving the plants wasn’t too hard, but we also needed to disassemble and reassemble “the cube” my husband had built last year. He added a door last weekend, and now the bird netting is up, but I have easy access to the plants to water and to harvest in a month or two. (Let’s just hope the squirrels aren’t voracious enough to chew their way inside.)
C4F7425B-7F84-4343-8FB4-02AF13FAE734.jpeg E802EDF4-CE80-498E-9179-0C2E91E3A86D.jpeg

I know it’s starting to warm up in other areas of the country now, too. I’m looking forward to seeing what other folks are up to this year.

Yesterday I brought the Apple trees home!

I'm way behind in putting the garden in this year.

We had our first cucumber harvest today. We’ve been using some parsley, dill, and green onions here and there, but this was our first fruit. My kids love pickles, so we collected some of our sunburned dill and started fermenting the two pickling cukes. The slicer I chopped up and added to homemade yogurt with some mint and green onions to make a sauce for our lunch.

AB57ECF8-8EF4-499A-BECD-AF8E96D4C07D.jpeg 8D6120AA-FA06-4206-B374-93A3B556691A.jpeg 7758D5AA-3B93-4798-A4B8-DC03CB5E753B.jpeg

There are some other cucumbers set, but they’re still quite small. I’m enjoying seeing green tomatoes on the plants and wondering when they might start showing a hint of red. It’s been a pleasantly cool May so far with some rain (we have escaped some of the very violent storms the state has suffered), but it has also meant less sun than normal. I don’t mind that, and the plants don’t seem to either.

Reactions: begreen
Looking good. In 2015 we had our first cucumbers at this time, not this year.

We're finally getting some spring produce and have our first little tomato set plus a 2" zucchini. Getting there.
first tomato.jpg lettuce.jpg strawbs.jpg tomatoes.jpg zuke.jpg

That's crazy! We don't even have zucchini planted yet, tomato starts just went in the ground this week and the strawberries have only had blossoms for a week. You must be in a pocket a zone warmer than us.

We are close to the water which protects us from some of the inland cold. Broccoli went in the ground in March and is getting pretty big now. Corn is about 8" tall.

We're finally getting some spring produce and have our first little tomato set plus a 2" zucchini. Getting there.
View attachment 244226 View attachment 244227 View attachment 244228 View attachment 244229 View attachment 244230

I love that bowl of lettuce, Begreen! Thanks for the update. My kids were reminiscing fondly just yesterday of the “lettuce ranch” we had in Virginia. I tried lettuce last summer but didn’t succeed. This spring has been cooler and wetter than last year and probably would have been great, but I didn’t attempt it. It’s in my plans for fall.

We had the potential for severe storms and hail yesterday (it didn’t materialize), but my husband and I set up shade cloth/hail protection over our blueberry cube and over the two long garden beds. I think we’ll leave it up for this week which looks to be hot but with more storm potential.

We started seeing a Sweet Million tomato blush red last week, and then a Juliet. I was surprised yesterday to see some red in a pepper. I took photos just in case a hail storm did come through. If you look at the cucumber leaves, you can see where some small hail punched through some leaves about a week and a half ago. The storm dumped about 2.5 inches of water in an hour or two. The hail was thankfully only marble-sized and of short duration.

ACFB3076-5C65-4E04-93DF-A612C2114869.jpeg 34F6B60B-8B84-46FB-9E34-E5B958978CAD.jpeg BDFE0414-6A85-4D7A-B74F-5B667D41C5E5.jpeg 8381CA8A-F67A-421E-A8BC-FA979254BEF2.jpeg F0E63356-863A-4C1F-A687-6D2218FD7AEE.jpeg

Reactions: begreen
You are at least a month ahead of us. I'm glad the storm didn't damage much. You might want to try growing some lettuce under a shade cloth to keep it cooler.

The hops are hopping! These are first year cascade hops.

Attachments

• 3A894B16-3D34-493B-B2B0-6E0928D9B867.jpeg
    3A894B16-3D34-493B-B2B0-6E0928D9B867.jpeg
    272.3 KB · Views: 228
Poppies popping! The snow in summer was blooming until the snow came for real.
ca6d9a4d30505bc84d4920c8095c7fda.jpg 99064ada5217bd08472c1dde78be7aa0.jpg d59fda00f3f534d447b29410b961eddf.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Build a tall trellis. They can get 10-12' tall.
I had 16' high posts for our hops at the last property and they would grow down another four feet from the top!
Couple of pics from that property...Cascades, Galena, Mt. Hood and Nugget

hops1.jpg hops.jpg P_20160916_134601.jpg IMAG1308.jpg

Reactions: Highbeam
Build a tall trellis. They can get 10-12' tall.

I read they can go way over 20’ but I am trying a 10’ pole with wires leading away like a hop teepee. I expect a big ball of hops at the top.

Attachments

• CCC617B0-8528-4B4C-AF7B-ED1AC55F3F1F.jpeg
    CCC617B0-8528-4B4C-AF7B-ED1AC55F3F1F.jpeg
    131.5 KB · Views: 214
Wow, that is some serious hopping! That's enough hops to start a brewery. Nice garden too.
Thanks, it was an amazing garden. About 85% of our veg for the year was grown in this garden. Couple of show-off pics...

Fifty row-feet of red and yellow onions...
IMAG1120.jpg

Cabbage that grew like they were on steroids...
IMAG2405.jpg

Walls of peas and beans...
P_20160606_144805.jpg

And every other day we'd get a bowl of tomatoes...
IMAG1158.jpg

Then in the fall before the rain or frost got them...
IMAG0310.jpg

We're hoping the new property is going to be as productive.

Attachments

• IMAG0542.jpg
    IMAG0542.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 200
Reactions: coutufr and MissMac
Very Nice! It must have been hard to walk away from that garden.