2018 BKP thermostat dial question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shredit

Nov 10, 2017
Bonner , Idaho
2018 BKP thermostat dial question Trying to do some experiments with burn times and thermostat position since I haven't been getting what I expected.
Here is a picture of thermostat turned completely to the left.... it hasn't been in this position since I bought the stove since the thermostat always starts completely high during reloads and then cranked down from there, so I didn't even realize it went this far left until now. The red line is what I thought was medium - which is where I've been burning, the blue line is what I thought was bottomed out low. And as you can see the dial turns way past that to the left. At the red line I've only been getting about 10 hours but now I'm realizing maybe I've been burning it high, and where the blue line is would actually be more like a true medium.

The bad news: Nobody can tell you where medium or low is- that depends on your draft, wood, and individual stove calibration.

The good news: The stove is very consistent. If your draft, wood, and burning practices are fairly consistent, you will get consistent results. Try it out. If the cat goes inactive, you went too low; try a little higher next time. Once you figure out where your low burn is, you will soon be able to figure burn times based on firebox contents and thermostat/fan settings.

Where your dial stop when all the way clockwise?

I think/believe that you are using it right going by the sticker and manual instructions.

Now, how much low you can go between the sticker range depend on many variables as jetsam mentioned. It is more important to me to be sure that at wide open the dial stop at 6 o'clock, pointing to the floor than how far goes counterclockwise.

On older princesses we got labeled thermostats. Three o’clock was the middle of the “normal “ range. Go there for half throttle, 50% output, and then adjust to suit. Just don’t go so low that the cat falls inactive when you still have fuel.

When you turn the dial full clockwise it should stop at 6 o’clock.

On older princesses we got labeled thermostats. Three o’clock was the middle of the “normal “ range. Go there for half throttle, 50% output, and then adjust to suit. Just don’t go so low that the cat falls inactive when you still have fuel.

When you turn the dial full clockwise it should stop at 6 o’clock.
Mine stops at 6 o'clock as well..I always operate mine within the swoosh line...I look at mine as noon to 6 o'clock...having said that I do not ever turn back past 2-2:30 on the swoosh and get far more than 10 hour burns....at what position do you lose flames in the box?

Last edited:
F
Mine stops at 6 o'clock as well..I always operate mine within the swoosh line...I look at mine as noon to 6 o'clock...having said that I do not ever turn back past 2-2:30 on the swoosh and get far more than 10 hour burns....at what position do you lose flames in the box?

I can have flames at any setting if the firebox is still cold. Once I’m up to steady state and the stat has been satisfied I only get flames at higher settings above three o’clock or so. 95% of the time, I’m under that. Usually I’m at the predetermined lowest possible burn rate.