2017-18 Blaze King Performance Thread PART 3 (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why didn’t you put the screws in for your pipe?

And yes, you need to test it !

That's awesome!

Another believer....hope you didn't "load er' up" or......well, you'll see.;)

I aftet I got some kindling going I put three medium splits of ash at 8 last night. 9am here now, still on the cat, windows and door walls open.

The Princess is out in the shop pouting cause I got a new best friend. Better looking too. Dint get much eye burning smell off this stove.

I did put a screw on top where it connect to the part that goes through the wall, the rest I see no reason to screw it. Ease of maintenance.
With one major puffback and you may find out the hard way the importance of screwing the pipe sections together. Just do it.

Reactions: Ashful
ya probably right, the Jotul was the king of puffback, blew the oval thing on the stove top caddy wumpus one time

Out here we also need to be mindful of earthquakes. Chit happens. 3 little screws per joint is the cheapest insurance out there.

Behind the blackening glass a warm heart smolders

Roger that on the blacking glass. I really chitted it up burning on low low. the ash method wont work, what the trick to a clean glass again

Roger that on the blacking glass. I really chitted it up burning on low low. the ash method wont work, what the trick to a clean glass again

Utility knife blade or hot fire.

Don't bother...you'll be doing it every day.;)

Reactions: Alpine1
Don't bother...you'll be doing it every day.;)

No... he has an Ashford. Both of mine stay pretty clean, even at low settings, and I’ve always heard other Ashford owners say the same. Time for the moisture meter.

No... he has an Ashford. Both of mine stay pretty clean, even at low settings, and I’ve always heard other Ashford owners say the same. Time for the moisture meter.
Wish it were that easy. Burning 4 year old cedar and fir, @ 13-17%...

Interesting! I think I heard others say it’s easier to keep the glass clean on hardwoods, which may be true. I know the princess and king models tend to receive more black glass talk than the newer models. No surprise the newer models would be improved in this regard, BK is all about continuous improvement and the 30/20 boxes were definitely designed with cosmetics in mind.

I’m burning mostly oak, with other hardwoods mixed in. We have cedar and pine, but don’t usually burn it if hardwood is available, which hasn’t been an issue for anyone in the mid-Atlantic since Sandy rolled thru a few years ago and uprooted a lifetime supply of trees.

The ceramic 'glass' soot has nothing to do with hard or soft woods. Burn hot, not much soot. Damp down the primary air in any stove the clear ceramic 'glass' will soot up. True even with the Blaze King thermo air or the older VC cats also with thermostat air control. Most of us will burn softwoods in shoulder times, spring/fall, for quick fires. For many the use of softwood blowdowns for firewood is easy and always available.
The older VC cats such as the Encore 2550 I've looked at nearby, always seem to have some sooted glass. It is the nature of the stoves and operator.
Now, I'm sure that Blaze Kings have a magical cleaner for the clear view. !!!

I took it you were cleaning the stove up to set idle through the warm months?

I always clean my glass on the Princess with a utility knife blade as part of my end of season cleaning. The knife blade makes the shortest work of the stubborn buildup but doesn't damage or scratch the glass. Just use it as a scraper.

During the burning season however, it's a fools errand to try maintaining perfectly clean glass beyond what the occasional hot fire provides.

The ceramic 'glass' soot has nothing to do with hard or soft woods. Burn hot, not much soot. Damp down the primary air in any stove the clear ceramic 'glass' will soot up.
You’re ignoring many factors, such as wood moisture content and effectiveness of the air wash design. Bottom line, I’m running one of my BK’s on 24 hour reloads, and the glass stays cleaner than my Jotuls ever did on 12 hour reloads. I have 40 cords thru one design and 60 cords thru the other, and have owned two of each in the same house, so I have enough basis for a valid comparison.

We all know it’s ceramic. We still call it “glass”, esp. when typing shorthand on phones. I guess we could say “window”... but we don’t.

Reactions: Cast Iron
Air flow is critical. Piece size (diameter), placement (proximity of log end to glass), stacking (right, little air flow passages), burn rate, ash content (when full fire is closer to glass) and yes moisture content.

Air flow is critical. Piece size (diameter), placement (proximity of log end to glass), stacking (right, little air flow passages), burn rate, ash content (when full fire is closer to glass) and yes moisture content.

Correct as usual ;ex, which is why we read you though not getting a BK stove due to specs.
Why is BKVP the only major maker rep online ?

However, most of us have little time to use moisture meters for checking every split used. We harvest, split, stack, the year before. Let the wood season, then burn the following winter. It does the job and has for decades for most species including oaks ( smaller splits). The flues here and elsewhere for long time wood burners have little creosote in the annual Spring brushing.
Sure the 'glass' gets gritty, but who cares. It burns off with careful, safe, hot burns.
Truth: the glass is cleaned for drinking friends and guest visits.

Why is BKVP the only major maker rep online ?
More or less its because BK's are well engineered, simple design and have very few problems, so in essence BKVP gets to do the nascar victory lap here once a week..lol>>>>>>

More or less its because BK's are well engineered, simple design and have very few problems, so in essence BKVP gets to do the nascar victory lap here once a week..lol>>>>>>

If a VC rep was ever here, he/she would not last a week. But I bet you they are lurking.......
Do not get me wrong, I very much like my 2550 but she will stay with the house when I decide to sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.