2016-17 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I read on here (right there ^^^^) that you can burn NIELs in your blaze king and other compressed logs but are their types you should not use?

These are made in my province for example http://www.flaxfire.com/ they are a compressed log made from roasted flax straw

Every single manufacturer here in the states has sent us samples. We send the sample to a lab and have it tested for in organics. A gas chromatography mass spectrometry is performed and all elements identified.

In NIELS testing, the aberration was organic, some oil based item. Turns out it was vegetable oil used in lubricating the extruding machine. As it was organic, our supplier for the cats both backed the warranty for those that burned the product.

We have had many tested but I do not recognized the company you referenced. If they send us a sample, I can have it tested.

Reactions: drstorm
It's been a while since I posted. I'm now joining the BK club. Have a King Parlor with blower on order. Should be a week or so.

Congratulations. We have had our King Parlor for 15 days now and we are very happy with it. I had it much too hot the first week or so, but I am getting the hang of dialing it back to keep house at the right temperature on 12 hour burn cycle.

Do NIELs need to be charred at full throttle for 20 minutes or can they just be tossed onto a nice bed of coals? Approx burn time?

Do NIELs need to be charred at full throttle for 20 minutes or can they just be tossed onto a nice bed of coals? Approx burn time?
Toss them in. In fact, avoid getting them too engulfed in flame or they can outgas the combustor....They are only 7% MC, so any fuel that dry can mess with the air to fuel ratio...that's why mixing in cordwood works great.

My preferred load was several large pieces in the stove first and then 2 NIEL's on top. In a low burn, the cordwood burns down and the NIELS drop in at end of the burn and start it all up again!

Thanks

Just went thru 2 days of 8 hour burns (steady -22 to -13) and we manually kicked the oil on, only once, this morning for a quick 68 and then dropped it and all is well. This is a plus as we only placed 3 to 4 logs on a ripping 6 o’clock box @ 10 and the furnace did not kick on overnight (set at 61 and still 63 the second morning!). With my old stove we would fire 5 or 6 on a torched box and the furnace starting would wake the house up in the morning, to a cold stove. The snap broke and the temp went up (14) this afternoon and I have not touched the box since 8 this morning, 11 hours and the house is at 68 pretty much all over just running the stove. Got to say we are really enjoying this princess so far.

My cat looks like it is constructed of 3 cells so it is possible one cell can be excited more than the others? I know mine takes flames to make it glow and if they are lapping at one side that side will glow and other not. Once it is really torqued all three do. It was mentioned 4 hour burns so maybe they only dipped 1/2 of the cat or small loads? The cat definitely does not have to glow for this smoke eater too work and I do not think that is how these are designed to run.

Amazing stove completely controlled no over heating, definitely some things are just good enough.

Need to split smaller now, my wife fines that a good idea, as 12 to 16" dia ½ splits do not fit in this one like the last or as nice as I would like. One need only look at the epa charts to know 81-82% is up their with the big boys, working gr8.

Regards

Finally getting around to dealing with my bbq smoke smelling Ashford. I need to switch my duravent dvl pipe out for a telescoping one so i can move my stove over. Right now my Ashford goes straight from firebox to a 45, moving the stove over will give me 2 foot up then a 45. Unfortunately my measurement say i need a max pipe length of 27". durvavent makes a 29" inch telescoping pipe but nothing shorter. Any ideas?

Why do you need tele-pipe, if you have elbows in the system?

Telescoping pipe can be cut, at the overlapping ends.

45 pieces are non adjustable. i would hate to cut a $180 piece of telescoping pipe but if ithas to happen so be it. right now i can't deal with the smell so we are using propane. also the telescoping pipe would make cleaning from bottom up way easier. right now it takes two people to unhook the pipe. i am on a phone or i would post the picture again of my issue. There is another thread i started somewhere if you want to check it out and see my conundrum.

Running Poindexter temps this morning -36 F. Still on a 12 hour reload cycle with the fans running.

Running Poindexter temps this morning -36 F. Still on a 12 hour reload cycle with the fans running.

If we ever seen those temps here I would likely need to gather the family in the stove room and close off the rest of the house.

Reactions: Ashful and Deeje
I will try to remember not to whine when it hits single digits here....lol

Reactions: Blazing
I used to burn a full 275 gallon tank of oil per week at +15F to +20F. My oil delivery co refers to customers like me as "every 7 - 10 day'ers". Can't even imagine -25dF in this house.

The good news is that I believe oil usage will be way down with the BKs, but last year was way too warm to use as a yardstick. This year may tell.

I used to burn a full 275 gallon tank of oil per week at +15F to +20F. My oil delivery co refers to customers like me as "every 7 - 10 day'ers". Can't even imagine -25dF in this house.

The good news is that I believe oil usage will be way down with the BKs, but last year was way too warm to use as a yardstick. This year may tell.
That was a painful exspense..

Last edited:
BK Ashford door latch... should it be firm like it was when I bought the stove a couple weeks ago or is it normal that it seems to open and close without much force now? Not seeing any signs of air leaks. Thought about tightening it up but wondered if too much pressure on the gasket might be a bad thing.

Loving the stove now that I'm a little more used to it.

BK Ashford door latch... should it be firm like it was when I bought the stove a couple weeks ago or is it normal that it seems to open and close without much force now? Not seeing any signs of air leaks. Thought about tightening it up but wondered if too much pressure on the gasket might be a bad thing.

Dollar bill tells all...

At -36, I think I'd need to run the stove with the door open to make it easier to scoop coals out onto the floor for extra heat...

Edit: Sample of how that might look. Aaah, toasty.

2016-17 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK)

Last edited:
Reactions: Blazing
So who fell asleep smoking in the couch?

Spontaneous human combustion?

Loading door gasket fell out?

Last edited:

Maybe just the gasket seating in the door frame will squish the rope a bit losing the pressure on the latch. You should know air tight when you see it now and if it is I would not worry to much about that.

Regards

Reactions: Deeje
I must say that after emerging from a pretty good cold snap that my glass is quite clean like many of you had promised.
I thought some of the bottom corners soot was going to be there forever.
After a week of consistent hot fires 90% or so of it was completely eliminated.

Reactions: Poindexter
Status
Not open for further replies.