Wood Stove in existing prefab fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Aelee

Feb 23, 2024
Cullowhee North Carolina
Hello! Just bought a house and have an inefficient wood fireplace insert. I just had it sweeped and these are their comments:

"This is a factory built Superior model NA36AI wood burning fireplace. There is minor deterioration of the rear and hearth refractory panels. These should be monitored for further deterioration. The damper opens and closes properly. The damper was left open as it was found. We power swept approximately 16 feet of stainless steel flue pipe. The system was dirty but swept up well. We ran the camera through the system and found all but one pipe section properly seated. There was no visible gap, and we were able to press the pipe down so it is seated.
Above the roofline the chimney pipe extends through the roofline with a flashing boot and storm collar in place. The flashing is rusting and will need to be replaced in the future."

Now the same chimney sweeper said I would need a 6 inch pipe. (I have an 8 inch pipe now) And with proper insulated venting, stove, and labor it may be $7000-$8000. I was not expecting that price!

What are my options? I've seen people on here put stoves in old fireplaces. I was looking to spend $2-3k tops and doing it myself. I'm on the fence about tearing down the whole fireplace and rebuilding it or just have a wood stove half in/half out of fireplace.

Screenshot_20240223-192827.png

If you have a prefab fireplace, a stove or insert cannot be installed?
You'd need a(nother) zero clearance fireplace.

This is a factory built Superior model NA36AI wood burning fireplace.
To me that reads like a zero clearance unit?
I'm no expert tho.

The model number is the.same as a heatilator zero clearance unit.

Last edited:
See if your insert is UL127 which would then with no modification to the fireplace body itself allow for an insert to be installed within along with an insulated liner in the existing 8” chimney

See if your insert is UL127 which would then with no modification to the fireplace body itself allow for an insert to be installed within along with an insulated liner in the existing 8” chimney
That is not accurate you have to read the fireplace manual to see if they allow inserts to be installed in their fireplace. If they don't the insert manufacturers manual can't over ride theirs

That is not accurate you have to read the fireplace manual to see if they allow inserts to be installed in their fireplace. If they don't the insert manufacturers manual can't over ride theirs
Meant to say zero clearance fireplace instead of insert

Meant to say zero clearance fireplace instead of insert
But again if the fireplace manual says no inserts or unspecified accessories an insert cannot go in that fireplace

The A36 manual has specific instructions for installing an insert. That section recommends a full reline.

If a wood burning insert is being installed in this fireplace, Hearth & Home Technologies recommends full reline of the chimney.
  • Cooling air openings at the top of the chimney must not be obstructed in any manner.
  • Hearth & Home Technologies recommends securing the reline at the top of the flue and using the cap certified for use with this fireplace system.

The A36 manual has specific instructions for installing an insert. That section recommends a full reline.

If a wood burning insert is being installed in this fireplace, Hearth & Home Technologies recommends full reline of the chimney.
  • Cooling air openings at the top of the chimney must not be obstructed in any manner.
  • Hearth & Home Technologies recommends securing the reline at the top of the flue and using the cap certified for use with this fireplace system.
You're absolutely right. I googled A36 manual wood burning stove and manual was first link. Page 34. Thank you. So full reline is needed.