ZC - New build - 2300 sq ft ranch (1.5 story with just bonus area/play room up top)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Nice. Looks like the FP30 was the final choice. Have you looked at the non-combustible mantels by MagraHearth? They have a lot of good looking choices.

PS: What is the insulated duct for runnining up behind the fireplace?
We did the FP30, yes. The heat ducts with the SBI models wouldn’t fit between the window and the door, which made the decision easy.

We did look at MagraHearth, but didn’t love any of the color options. We decided on a wooden mantle but went even further outside the clearance area just to be safe. We’ll also be running all 3 fans most of the time, which should help.

The insulated duct is the fresh air intake. It drops all the way down and has a trap, they ran it to the soffit rather than the siding out the bottom. Installer and builder say they prefer soffit air intakes as it creates the trap you need and looks better. I don’t know too much about it, but that’s how it was installed when I showed up.

Check the manual; if not explicitly mentioned that fresh air intakes can go up, it would be illegal (and not safe) as normal fresh air intakes always have to go horizontal or down..

Any drawings the manual regarding the outside air connection?

Some cases allow it (because of the way the air is routed in the appliance). But without explicit mention of that, it's not safe, as draft reversal could make the air duct act like a chimney - for which it's not made (fire hazard).

So I'd make very sure it's allowed before you close that thing up.

Reactions: DadEyeMoody
Any drawings the manual regarding the outside air connection?

Some cases allow it (because of the way the air is routed in the appliance). But without explicit mention of that, it's not safe, as draft reversal could make the air duct act like a chimney - for which it's not made (fire hazard).

So I'd make very sure it's allowed before you close that thing up.
I reached out to the manufacturer. Thank you for bringing it up!

The manual does permit it to be higher as long as it's more than 5' below the chimney top but it usually is done below the firebox.

THE COMBUSTION AIR INLET MUST BE AT LEAST 5ft (1.5m) BELOW CHIMNEY OUTLET AND MUST NEVER TERMINATE IN ATTIC SPACES.

Moving this thread to the Pacific Energy forum. Congratulations on the new install. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished install with a fire this fall.

Reactions: DadEyeMoody
The manual does permit it to be higher as long as it's more than 5' below the chimney top but it usually is done below the firebox.

THE COMBUSTION AIR INLET MUST BE AT LEAST 5ft (1.5m) BELOW CHIMNEY OUTLET AND MUST NEVER TERMINATE IN ATTIC SPACES.
Thank you begreen on the clarification, still waiting on the answer from PE but this works. It’s well below the chimney, so that should meet standards.

Thank you also, @stoveliker as I would always rather be sure.