Yup, just another day at the office.......I love it!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
But I think I need to have a serious talk with the maintenance men, sometimes I have to wear a sweater in my cubicle and when it snows the parking lot is slippery. HOHO!

IMG_0092%2520%25281024x768%2529-726606.jpg

IMG_0093%2520%2528768x1024%2529-727951.jpg

IMG_0094%2520%25281024x768%2529-730172.jpg

When I get going at a good pace in the woods, I take my brown coat off and sometimes hang it in a tree (the picture I posted above shows where it was hanging yesterday). While I was running the saw, out of the corner of my eye I saw someone standing there watching me. I'm not used to anyone else out in the woods, 99.9% of the time I am alone, so it scared the crapola out of me! But it was just my coat hanging on the tree. HA! Scared of my own coat........

is that one of those new fiskars handles on the old maul??

nice, office witrh a view

Funny how you just happen to show that 260 # showing through that (V) opening.

Alright. I have to ask. How is the maul standing there? Nice office. Nothing like a day in the woods. Thanks for sharing the pics. A nice "fix" for all of us fire wood obsessed folk.

quads, I had to hang my coat the same way yesterday. It got above freezing but still that little breeze was cold once you stopped working, which is something I seem to do a bit more often nowadays.

Great, now I have the urge to go work on that walnut tree some more......grrrrrrr.

f v

Looks great Quads, how is the 260 running?

zap

Great looking scenery there Quads.Looks like White Oak with the ash-gray flat top bark.Almost done for the year myself,only about 1/3rd of original pile from past few weeks left to split & stack.If any heavy snow stays away a bit longer,I just might be able to drop those 2 dangerous intertwined snags near the ravine before Spring.If not,no big deal.

ironpony said:
is that one of those new fiskars handles on the old maul??

nice, office witrh a view
Nope, that's the new Truper maul I bought last Spring. It's shape was about as close to the old maul as I could find, but still, the old maul worked better. The old maul generally splits on every swing, the first time. This Truper would make a THUD on the first swing, usually cracking the round, but would almost never split until the second swing. Well, I have since modified this Truper maul. I ground down the weird flare that it had on the head, then finished it off with a big flat file, making it match the old maul's shape almost perfectly. Now it splits on the first swing every time, almost without fail. I haven't taken the two out into the woods at the same time yet for a side-by-side comparison, but it I'm sure it's a really close call now.

gzecc said:
Funny how you just happen to show that 260 # showing through that (V) opening.
Yup, just 'happened' that way! HAHA!

Gasifier said:
Alright. I have to ask. How is the maul standing there? Nice office. Nothing like a day in the woods. Thanks for sharing the pics. A nice "fix" for all of us fire wood obsessed folk.
That there is one of those magical mauls, like my antique maul, since the modification. It does whatever I tell it to do.......HAHA!

Backwoods Savage said:
quads, I had to hang my coat the same way yesterday. It got above freezing but still that little breeze was cold once you stopped working, which is something I seem to do a bit more often nowadays.
It was just below freezing yesterday, but right around freezing today. Cold front just moved through though so temp will be dropping this afternoon. I sweat, then I stop working, then I get cold. But I'm on lunch break right now, with my feet up by the fire, drying the sweat off, so I can get back out there shortly.

fireview2788 said:
Great, now I have the urge to go work on that walnut tree some more......grrrrrrr.

f v
HA! I've never cut a walnut before (have only seen a few ever, but none out in our woods). I know a guy that had one growing in his yard that got killed by a storm. He cut up every little piece of it, including the roots, and sold it all to some cabinet maker! Me, I would have chucked it in the stove.....HAHA!

zapny said:
Looks great Quads, how is the 260 running?

zap
Runs great! I still have two old 026 also, one of them runs really good yet and I use it for a spare. I had the spare out the other day, just to run a little gas through it.

Thistle said:
Great looking scenery there Quads.Looks like White Oak with the ash-gray flat top bark.Almost done for the year myself,only about 1/3rd of original pile from past few weeks left to split & stack.If any heavy snow stays away a bit longer,I just might be able to drop those 2 dangerous intertwined snags near the ravine before Spring.If not,no big deal.
One is a white oak, and the other (with no bark) is a black oak. I'm never done, but I would be happy if I can get up to what I have sold and burned this Fall so far before the deep snow comes. If not, well, I cut in the snow too as long as I can still walk out there! Been selling a load or two almost everyday now so catching up is going kind of slow!

Are you cutting the whole way through the logs while the logs lay on the ground? Seems like you'd hit the dirt and dull your chain. i know I would.

HehHeh . . . sounds familiar . . . I often work with a knit cap . . . but every once in a while it gets hot and I take it off and hang it in a branch . . . and invariably . . . like you turn around at some point and catch the cap out of the corner of my eye and wonder for a brief second if someone is in the woods with me.

quads, this one likely would have made some great boards. Very straight and great color to it. Unfortunately you can't make boards out of 16" rounds :cheese: .

fv

Wood Duck said:
Are you cutting the whole way through the logs while the logs lay on the ground? Seems like you'd hit the dirt and dull your chain. i know I would.
Yes, I always cut them laying on the ground. Never hit the dirt. After a lifetime of doing it that way, I kind of got a feel for where the bar is in the tree. If it's going to pinch, or come too close to the ground, I will stop short, then go on to the next cut, until I finally get to one spot where I can undercut it. Then I roll that section of the log over with my foot and finish the cuts, if needed.

firefighterjake said:
HehHeh . . . sounds familiar . . . I often work with a knit cap . . . but every once in a while it gets hot and I take it off and hang it in a branch . . . and invariably . . . like you turn around at some point and catch the cap out of the corner of my eye and wonder for a brief second if someone is in the woods with me.
HAHA! Never been scared by my hat.....yet!

fireview2788 said:
quads, this one likely would have made some great boards. Very straight and great color to it. Unfortunately you can't make boards out of 16" rounds :cheese: .

fv
Well, the loggers around here tell us that they don't give more than pulp price for the white oak because most of it grows with a black center? Personally I don't know, I have cut up some very fine looking white oak that looked like it would have made nice boards to me, but I have also cut into some that had black centers.

Loggers around here won't give much for anything right now. Two more mills shut down.

Backwoods Savage said:
Loggers around here won't give much for anything right now. Two more mills shut down.
They just announced that they are shutting a mill down to the north of me too. Laying off 450 people in a few months.

This is not good at all but hopefully they will all start up again. I talked to some fellows yesterday who were walking a neighbor's woods trying to come up with a price that the neighbor wanted. They don't think they can do it. They came from about 100-120 miles away too.

Great pics
Looks like in a few years, it'll be a pine forest.
Lots of new ones coming up. Must be some mother trees up wind.

Status
Not open for further replies.