Year/model number? Anyone? Ashley Cast Iron insert!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

SarahBear

Sep 9, 2024
NE Mississippi
Need some help identifying the year / model of my Ashley wood burning fireplace insert. I know we've had it for about 20 years or more.. my father bought it from the parents of a long time friend of his but even after all that time I couldn't tell you much about it other than it has very heavy doors with wooden handles that you twist to lock them in place plus a dampener knob built into each door, and an electric blower that has a adjustable knob which cuts it on and slows or speeds of the blower fan with an auto / manual switch above that. I've looked this thing over, under, and decide to side multiple times but if it had a make or model sticker on it, it obviously hasn't survived. I do apologize if the state of it's upkeep offends any of you wood heater aficionados but it's not been used since my father passed in 2016 😬

[Hearth.com] Year/model number? Anyone? Ashley Cast Iron insert!! [Hearth.com] Year/model number? Anyone? Ashley Cast Iron insert!![Hearth.com] Year/model number? Anyone? Ashley Cast Iron insert!!

The sticker or plate, if there is one, may be attached to the back or side of the insert. It's an old dogger, probably from the 1970s. Is it connected to a liner?

The sticker or plate, if there is one, may be attached to the back or side of the insert. It's an old dogger, probably from the 1970s. Is it connected to a liner?
Im not exactly sure what you mean by a liner? Is that supposed to mean something that was a part of the previous fireplace or something that would have come with the insert? Im sorry, I really don't have a clue about wood heating or the tools of that trade in the slightest 😅

Old insert installation used to be installed with no connection to the chimney. They were just shoved up against the chimney face, hopefully with the surround sealed to the brick, and vented into the fireplace cavity. This is known as a slammer and is not longer allowed. Slammers can be unsafe and often lead to dirty chimneys, especially if the fireplace had a large flue and is on an exterior wall.

Inserts now require a stainless liner (Option C) in the chimney that is sized properly to the insert. Most often code requires that the liner be insulated.

[Hearth.com] Year/model number? Anyone? Ashley Cast Iron insert!!

Old insert installation used to be installed with no connection to the chimney. They were just shoved up against the chimney face, hopefully with the surround sealed to the brick, and vented into the fireplace cavity. This is known as a slammer and is not longer allowed. Slammers can be unsafe and often lead to dirty chimneys, especially if the fireplace had a large flue and is on an exterior wall.

Inserts now require a stainless liner (Option C) in the chimney that is sized properly to the insert. Most often code requires that the liner be insulated.

View attachment 329920
Well I can just about 100% guarantee it was the first, unsafe, "slammer" installation method!! Because my dad put it in with his buddy ..and there was zero stainless steel involved in the process, ha. Does this mean taking.it out in search of a make/model plate should be (fairly) simple then?