Woodstock Thermal Mass Heater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
MasterMech said:
Battenkiller said:
They make their own HD pallets... from Denniswood apparently.

Wouldn't that be a fire hazard? I heard that stuff ignites from a good, hard stare. :ahhh:

Yeah, but the damn stuff is reputed to be harder than depleted uranium. Best to use it and just avoid eye contact at all times.

Battenkiller said:
MasterMech said:
Battenkiller said:

Wouldn't that be a fire hazard? I heard that stuff ignites from a good, hard stare. :ahhh:

Yeah, but the damn stuff is reputed to be harder than depleted uranium. Best to use it and just avoid eye contact at all times.

Yup, I'm going to have to re-sharpen my favorite splitting wedge after splitting just 3 of those pieces of Dennis wood! I think I may have cracked the reinforced concrete floor below with the amount of
force required to pounds those splits into submission. :ahhh:

Geez, I can't convince my wife to get a wood stove (vs. a fireplace). How am I gonna swing this?
Looks really nice to me though.

Battenkiller said:
velvetfoot said:
Geez, I can't convince my wife to get a wood stove (vs. a fireplace). How am I gonna swing this?

Have you tried, "Honey... Look what followed me home"?

That may work for a lost puppy but I'm sure I'd be in the doghouse on that one. Might be worth a try

My Oslo heats my home said:
Battenkiller said:
velvetfoot said:

Have you tried, "Honey... Look what followed me home"?

That may work for a lost puppy but I'm sure I'd be in the doghouse on that one. Might be worth a try

I don't have a dog anymore, but if I brought home a stone cold beauty like that I'd be sleeping out in the open shed.

I suppose "stone cold beauty" is hardly a good way to describe a magnificent stone heater like that, though. I'm sure Lady BK would forgive me once she started popping cakes and pastries out of that nifty oven. Imagine that? Any time you get the urge for brownies, just mix up a batch and slide the pan into your stove. Always ready... no pre-heating. :-)

fire_man said:
Battenkiller said:
MasterMech said:
Battenkiller said:

Yup, I'm going to have to re-sharpen my favorite splitting wedge after splitting just 3 of those pieces of Dennis wood! I think I may have cracked the reinforced concrete floor below with the amount of
force required to pounds those splits into submission. :ahhh:

I should have brought my Fiskars.

Huh . . . I completely missed seeing this . . . if I was to build a new home this would be in the running . . . darn you Woodstock. ;) :)

firefighterjake said:
Huh . . . I completely missed seeing this . . . if I was to build a new home this would be in the running . . . darn you Woodstock. ;) :)

Guess you'll have to go again next year to see that! Did your wife find the cat? I almost lost one of mine to Dennis when he visited. Cat took quite a shine to him (as did I!).

Sorry Jake. I planned on giving you the tour but didn't. There should be two of me.

Nice. Anyone know how hot the stone gets?

You can touch it, but you wouldn't want to stay there too long.

HollowHill said:
firefighterjake said:

Guess you'll have to go again next year to see that! Did your wife find the cat? I almost lost one of mine to Dennis when he visited. Cat took quite a shine to him (as did I!).

Still missing . . . and I don't mind telling you that it is really bothering me not knowing what happened to him . . . especially since this cat was like a dog to me and was truly a great buddy to have around . . . actually would sit in camp chairs and the dining room chairs at the table as if he was a person.

firefighterjake said:
HollowHill said:
firefighterjake said:

Still missing . . . and I don't mind telling you that it is really bothering me not knowing what happened to him . . . especially since this cat was like a dog to me and was truly a great buddy to have around . . . actually would sit in camp chairs and the dining room chairs at the table as if he was a person.

I'm really sorry to hear that. We have a Maine Coon cat that is like that (very doglike in his devotion, especially to my husband). He also disappears for days at a time (he is a great one for roaming, even though fixed) and we despair. Then he shows up to our delight. I hope yours returns too.

Sorry to hear that Jake.

Thanks guys . . . it has been a week . . . the longest he has ever gone missing . . . I'm not holding out a lot of hope for him now . . . but there's always a chance.

And now we return to the regularly scheduled broadcast . . .

And try not to derail this thread. ;)

$14,000??? No thanks, I'll be building my own. Some have said that they have built their own for only a few thousand. Sure that is pretty but not that pretty...

CTwoodburner said:
$14,000??? No thanks, I'll be building my own. Some have said that they have built their own for only a few thousand. Sure that is pretty but not that pretty...

Look again :wow:

Thermal Mass Heaters are very common in commercial locations in Europe. I have seen all different sizes. They look very home brew built, with beautiful ceramic tile and plaster finishes. They give off a lot of very gently heat. The only issue for me would be the rise time needed to get it hot enough to heat the house. I don't know what the burn times are, but I think they would be a great wood heater for those that burn full time.

Tom

HollowHill said:
CTwoodburner said:

Look again :wow:

That is why I suggested looking at Tulikivi. They are not cheap, but still are several thousands less with a lot more custom options.

The guy from Quebec had a laptop with a slide show going. They have pretty much unlimited custom options. Each one is custom built for the customer. They build it in the shop, take it a part, ship it to the customer, and assemble it in a couple days.
I have seen the Tulikivi, they advertise in Fine Home Building.

[quote author="CTwoodburner" date="1318554725"]$14,000??? No thanks, I'll be building my own. Some have said that they have built their own for only a few thousand. Sure that is pretty but not that pretty...[/quote
See many how video on YouTube

Status
Not open for further replies.