Woodstock Thermal Mass Heater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
There is much discussion here about the new Progress Hybrid after the big pig roast over the weekend. While I was quite impressed with it, I was possibly even more impressed with the Masonry Heater that was hiding in the other room.
[Hearth.com] Woodstock Thermal Mass Heater

Well, it wasn't hiding. How could you hide a several ton monument to wood heat?

This thing is massive! Beyond massive. Woodstock is working with their stone supplier in Quebec to produce this. It is much like the classic Russian fireplace. It has a pretty large firebox and the exhaust travels all through the massive soapstone beast before it exits. Smoke goes up and DOWN within. There is a bypass to get it started, but once the fire is raging the exhaust is directed throughout the heater. The fellow from Quebec explained that one fire, for about 1 1/2 hour will keep this thing making heat for the next 24 hours! It also has has an oven in it that is said to maintain about 350 °F all the time. They have even built them with the ability to heat water. They are not cheap, I think about $14,000 with delivery and installation. It is also best to design/build your house around it as most floors could not support it. They can also be custom built to suit your aesthetic needs. The only mention of it that I could find on their website is here. http://woodstocksoapstoneco.blogspot.com/2011/01/masonry-heater.html There's slide show of assembly there too.

To me that is more interesting than the hybrid. That would be the centerpiece to any new home construction, needless to say it would probably require a concrete floor with its own foundation to support it.

Pipe hot water through it and really get some use from that thermal mass!

Looks like it could be a nice clothing dryer as well with proper racks attached.

That's awesome! If I were to build a new home I'd definitely have one.

So thats giant soapstone slabs??? They should make a smaller version. I have a friend that has something like that made of regular stone in their house and it does one major heating job

Den said:
Cue music!

:-) Now, scroll back up and look at the pic. . . .:-)

:lol:
Perfect music Den.....
That thing was truely amazing!!!
Mr Gamma came home with a stack of Mass Heater flyers....I think he was as excited about that thing as he was about the Progress stove....
I bet all his friends here got one of those flyers.... ;-)
I will also bet that whatever folks here in Nepa are unaware of Woodstock Soapstone stoves......will know about them now!!!!

Leapin' lizzards, that thing is freakin' koooooool! That's the one you were telling me about at dinner? How did I miss that?

Gotta say that at $14K it's a little out of my reach, but I hope somebody here ponies up for one and reports back on it. Maybe if we can convince BBart he can store more Natty Light in it come summer? I doubt it, though. That rascal is tighter with a buck than I am. %-P

I've always liked the look of a big soapstone kacheloven. If looking to install a masonry stove, one should comparison shop with the other masonry heaters like the Tulikivi. They have a very wide product line.

(broken link removed to http://www.tulikivi.com/en/fireplaces/TTU2700_5_Fireplace)

Here's a nice gallery of installations:
(broken link removed to http://www.mountainflame.com/tulikivi_soapstone_fireplaces.htm)

Hmmm... 23,000 forum members. If half of them send me a buck and a quarter I will have one installed and do an in depth review. I will pick up the tab for the steel and concrete column in the basement under the den floor.

I would still need three of those damned things with the layout I'm workin' with...

BrotherBart said:
Hmmm... 23,000 forum members. If half of them send me a buck and a quarter I will have one installed and do an in depth review.

Let me be the first to take you up on that. After the other 22,999 members sign up, let me know and I'll send that bag of pennies your way ASAP.

Battenkiller said:
BrotherBart said:
Hmmm... 23,000 forum members. If half of them send me a buck and a quarter I will have one installed and do an in depth review.

Let me be the first to take you up on that. After the other 22,999 members sign up, let me know and I'll send that bag of pennies your way ASAP.

Don't need it from all 23,000. Just the half.

impressive heater. I wonder how many of those get sold in a years time? and what kind of market would that attract and what parts of the country would benefit?

The guy from Quebec told me they have installed about 50 of them. At least that's what I think he said. I saw it later in the day. After some Cider and beer.

I believe he said 3 tons of stone, your right, beer dosen't help in remebering numbers.

And I do believe that was Mr. Flatbedford himself standing with his back to the camera. Yes, that thing is huge! I tried to lift it but couldn't....

Backwoods Savage said:
And I do believe that was Mr. Flatbedford himself standing with his back to the camera. Yes, that thing is huge! I tried to lift it but couldn't....

I hear a rumor that there may be a Fireview for sale.

I heard that one to BB. I wonder where that may be? I'll bet it is Slow1 who has one for sale really soon.

One of those wood suit me fine (broken image removed)

Backwoods Savage said:
I heard that one to BB. I wonder where that may be? I'll bet it is Slow1 who has one for sale really soon.

I heard it was yours.

Hass said:
that hearth doesn't look up to code!

I was wondering how a pallet could hold that monster up. :ahhh:

BrotherBart said:
Hass said:

That would be a shame if one of the runners on a pallet gave way and the whole thing toppled over o.O

Battenkiller said:
BrotherBart said:
Hass said:

They make their own HD pallets... from Denniswood apparently.

Wouldn't that be a fire hazard? I heard that stuff ignites from a good, hard stare. :ahhh:

Status
Not open for further replies.