Woodstock out of stock on Progress Hybrid Catalytic Combustor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Have you contacted woodstock to get a lead time. I'm sure they are farmed out, they could just be waiting on a shipment.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I have not call them yet, I was just checking to see what is out there. Thanks

Reactions: chance04
I'm curious why they'd be sold out? Sounds as if they might be having some issues with cat failures.

The progress was released late 2011 into 2012 iirc, could be the first run of stoves combustor are coming to end of their useful service life?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Is this cat peculiar to just the PH? If so it could be a limited production run. Perhaps the demand was unanticipated. I would think that about now PH owners would be ordering their first replacement cat, getting ready for next winter.

I would suspect after 6 or 7 years that they are on cat #3 if they actually burn their stove full time. The Woodstock cats are quite small, this smallness is pointed at as the reason that they are so cheap to buy.

Firecat not answering their phone, Woodstock out of cats, maybe the non-cat guys have a point about the cat stove guys being dependent on a constant supply of parts.

Reactions: Fuut Master
The Woodstock cats are quite small,
?? I thought the PH cat was pretty large, especially considering it's a hybrid. It's almost the full width of the stove. The Fireview's pair of combustors are about the same size as the Ashford. The IS cat (5" x 10" x 2.65") is slightly larger.

Last edited:
?? I thought the PH cat was pretty large, especially considering it's a hybrid. The Fireviews pair of combusters are about the same size as the Ashford.

I'm sure it is. When pressured about the very high price of non woodstock cats, the answer was to look at the volume of catalyst. Total catalyst provided is less to match the lower price.

No matter though, Woodstock also rates "their" cats as 10,000 to 12,000 hours and is able to hit high efficiency and low emissions. If they can do it with smaller cats then that's a great thing.

The bigger issue is the lack of available cats all of the sudden and the problems that this could cause.

They don't do it with smaller cats. The PH cat looks custom and Woodstock is the only supplier. Looks like a delay in the production run.

Sent an email into Woodstock to see when they will be back in stock.

It's pretty simple, just have an extra on hand. You'll be set for 10 years or so, or prepared for an emergency.

Reactions: fespo

Ha! You know there are some die hard non-cat guys that love this. I will maybe make it though this season on my current cat so supply chain problems are a big deal.

It's pretty simple, just have an extra on hand. You'll be set for 10 years or so, or prepared for an emergency.

Sure, I could make it 100 years on one cat if I never burn! Full time burners only get 3 years if they're lucky. That's over 12000 hours if burning 6 months per year. You would need a new cat in the stove plus 2 more on hand to get through the next 10 years.

Your point is valid, have a spare on hand.

I believed firecat when they told me that they can ship a new one right away.

Just heard back from Woodstock. They expect them to be back in stock very soon. Give them a call to place an order, it's faster than via the webstore. 800-866-4344

Last edited:
Reactions: Highbeam
Full time burning on my Fireview resulted in cat life of about 2.5 years and then the ceramic cracked and fell apart. The steel cat in my PH doesn't fall apart (from 2013) but also doesn't really increase the stove top temps when it's engaged either. So figure 2-3 years on that one too. Time to order one up.

Sure, I could make it 100 years on one cat if I never burn! Full time burners only get 3 years if they're lucky. That's over 12000 hours if burning 6 months per year. You would need a new cat in the stove plus 2 more on hand to get through the next 10 years.

The Woodstock is a hybrid.. you can always run it in not cat mode. Not quite as efficient, but still useful

The Woodstock is a hybrid.. you can always run it in not cat mode. Not quite as efficient, but still useful
Aren't they designed to be used together? The only way to bypass the cat is to leave the bypass open and that's not acceptable.

We all don't burn the hell out of our stoves like you do either. 5 years on a cat isn't out of the question for me or others in milder climates. Even longer for a BK

Aren't they designed to be used together? The only way to bypass the cat is to leave the bypass open and that's not acceptable.
If the cat is dead, why bypass it? Wouldn't it be better to leave the bypass closed and allow the smoke to go through the dead cat while waiting for the new one?

If the cat is dead, why bypass it? Wouldn't it be better to leave the bypass closed and allow the smoke to go through the dead cat while waiting for the new one?
I'd guess it's really sluggish. Like other hybrids, I'm guessing they are designed to be used in conjunction, not one or the other like some believe. I know what you are saying and I agree, although I bet there's a noticeable difference in performance. I was just trying to clarify that's leaving the bypass open isn't an option.

I'd guess it's really sluggish. Like other hybrids, I'm guessing they are designed to be used in conjunction, not one or the other like some believe. I know what you are saying and I agree, although I bet there's a noticeable difference in performance. I was just trying to clarify that's leaving the bypass open isn't an option.

I think you're right and the stove may even be damaged by burning with the bypass open long term. Better to run it through the dead cat.

Hybrids aren't cat or non-cat, they are both, all the time. If the cat has lost function then your stove has lost function, get a new one or try and "fix" the old one. Woodstock still pushes the vinegar bath last time I checked. I performed a vinegar bath on my dead steel BK cat and brought a totally dead cat back from the grave for at least a while.

Reactions: webby3650
If you're worried about the heat from the open bypass... you might be able to just take out the cat and close the bypass.

The longer air path through the cat channel will extract more heat

You could always ask Woodstock out of stock on Progress Hybrid Catalytic Combustor Woodstock