Wood stove problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If one lives on a windy ridge like you do, less than 3 yrs. might work for Oak. My stacks are in the shady, damp woods where the trees block most of the wind. Once I get to two years, I keep waiting.

If it will get sub-20 in three years here, it will just about anywhere else. ==c
Yes but my point is many people don't need 3 years to get there

I would give eco bricks from tractor supply a try/ test run. If they burn well you know your draft/ air supply is ok. I started burning one or two with some of my less than perfect wood. Just found out that my TSC won’t be getting any more pellets this season and I would guess that means eco bricks too.

Evan

Wood is wet. Unless you split it in tiny thin splits, it ain't drying in that short of time.

Reactions: ShawnLiNY
Wood is wet. Unless you split it in tiny thin splits, it ain't drying in that short of time.
Yes I agree 6 months isn't going to happen with oak unless it is some extreme situation

The most dry wood I burned in my 1988 VC was aged 6 to 8 months. That was what I lit the fire with, using pine kindling.
As I said the stove loved that wood no dark glass. Cleaned the pipe once a year not too much creosote.

You must bear in mind this was not Minnesota. This was central Georgia with a cold day being 25 degrees.

Yeah my dry covered wood even took on moisture this year
The covers blew off my 'dry covered wood' and now I'm burning through six-year split Red Oak that's wet. Gunking my window, and I gotta open the door as I'm burning in a new load, to see how much the splits are sizzling. <> Luckily, only about 1/3 cord to go. Hey, I better check on the stuff that's next in line! :eek:

How on earth does the stove not overfire if it has no air control? Maybe its good that the wood is wet haha