Wood stove problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctynch

Jan 21, 2019
Hi, I just bought a new king wood stove model 2016eb. The problem I have ,I cannot get enough air flow in the unit.I called the help line ,was told to prop the ash plate in the bottom to let more air in. Does anyone have any advice on how to get air in without dropping hot coals in the ash pan?

Hi, I just bought a new king wood stove model 2016eb. The problem I have ,I cannot get enough air flow in the unit.I called the help line ,was told to prop the ash plate in the bottom to let more air in. Does anyone have any advice on how to get air in without dropping hot coals in the ash pan?
What type size and height chimney do you have? What moisture content is your wood at

The flue is 6 inches,chimney is14 ft. , moisture unknown, but, is good and dry.wood burnt good in my Vermont casting wood stove, just burnt so much wood.

Sounds like a fuel issue.

What model Vermont Castings did you have and in what year was it manufactured?

Reactions: SpaceBus
Well, I can light a fire,fire burns slow and dark yellow, but prop the ash cover up a little fire brightens up and burns good.

It could be weak draft, how long since your wood was split and what species?

Your wood is wet. You have run in to the same problem I ran in to a few years back. I used to have a 1988 VC Resolute.
Great stove and it didn't mind wet wood, like you are now burning.

But in 1993 the EPA turned the wood stove industry upside down with new regs. These new stoves demand real dry wood.

You need to season your wood for 3 years. Go to Lowes and buy an electronic wood moisture meter.

Welcome to the New World of wood stoves.
These new guys are finicky but they are way more efficient than our old VC stoves. Get a lot more heat out of a given amount of wood.

Reactions: XmasTreefarmer
I guess I should say, when fire is burning, the fire brick and the glass turns black after a few hours.

The flue is 6 inches,chimney is14 ft. , moisture unknown, but, is good and dry.wood burnt good in my Vermont casting wood stove, just burnt so much wood.
Does this stove have an air intake control?

Your wood is wet. You have run in to the same problem I ran in to a few years back. I used to have a 1988 VC Resolute.
Great stove and it didn't mind wet wood, like you are now burning.

But in 1993 the EPA turned the wood stove industry upside down with new regs. These new stoves demand real dry wood.

You need to season your wood for 3 years. Go to Lowes and buy an electronic wood moisture meter.

Welcome to the New World of wood stoves.
These new guys are finicky but they are way more efficient than our old VC stoves. Get a lot more heat out of a given amount of wood.
Many people don't need to season their wood for 3 years I never had.

And for the record I have burnt lots of stoves new and old. Wet wood burns like crap in any stove

I guess I will try and find some drier wood. Could be a problem around this area.
Honestly this stove has no air control. It simply is a bad stove I would try to return it now while you can.

A few months ago somebody posted the same stove. You were not impressed.
Yes I know the stove. Us stove co. Makes a few like it. It is rediculous they get away with selling them.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
My 1988 VC Resolute burned wet wood just fine. My "dry" wood I would cut and split in March, just like the OP.
But I always cut some wood in November. I lit the stove and normally burned it with my "dry," six months old wood. When I wanted an all night burn I would put in the green wood and the Resolute just gobbled it up. Coals all night.

However I came on to this forum ten years ago, I had a new Waterford stove and just couldn't get it to burn right. Guys on this forum told me I had wet wood, only dried 6 months, a no-no in these new stoves.

I don't dry my wood for 3 years either but lots of guys on this forum do. In fact my little non ventilated wood shed will dry hickory to 17 percent in just 10 months.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
My 1988 VC Resolute burned wet wood just fine. My "dry" wood I would cut and split in March, just like the OP.
But I always cut some wood in November. I lit the stove and normally burned it with my "dry," six months old wood. When I wanted an all night burn I would put in the green wood and the Resolute just gobbled it up. Coals all night.

However I came on to this forum ten years ago, I had a new Waterford stove and just couldn't get it to burn right. Guys on this forum told me I had wet wood, only dried 6 months, a no-no in these new stoves.

I don't dry my wood for 3 years either but lots of guys on this forum do. In fact my little non ventilated wood shed will dry hickory to 17 percent in just 10 months.
Did you ever try actually burning dry wood in your vc?

Wood is oak ,split approximately 6 months.
Six months will work for Oak..if the tree has been standing dead for ten or more years. ==c Find small, dead trees <8" with all the bark fallen off. It will be pretty dry.
Many people don't need to season their wood for 3 years I never had.
Yeah, you don't need to, but 3-yr. Oak burns like a dream. >>

Six months will work for Oak..if the tree has been standing dead for ten or more years. ==c Find small, dead trees <8" with all the bark fallen off. It will be pretty dry.
Yeah, you don't need to, but 3-yr. Oak burns like a dream. >>
No 15 to 20%oak burns like a dream. Moisture content matters not time

No 15 to 20%oak burns like a dream. Moisture content matters not time
If it will get sub-20 in three years here, it will just about anywhere else. ==c