Wood stove problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctynch

Jan 21, 2019
Hi.I have a 1977 Vermont casting vigilant wood stove. I am in the process of a rebuild. I need to know if anyone has any information on cementing areas. Where to cement ,and where not to cement .Any replies would be appreciated...

where ever there was cement. your is the little brother of my defiant so here goes. the bottom where the sides meet, the sides where they all meet. and the top where it sits on the sides. if the secondary air runs across the back of the stove you;ll need a screen and cement. go to the wiki and download a copy of the manual and anything else you can find. make sure you get all the old cement out or the new cement won't stick for long.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
where ever there was cement. your is the little brother of my defiant so here goes. the bottom where the sides meet, the sides where they all meet. and the top where it sits on the sides. if the secondary air runs across the back of the stove you;ll need a screen and cement. go to the wiki and download a copy of the manual and anything else you can find. make sure you get all the old cement out or the new cement won't stick for long.
Ok where the secondary air flue gets cemented in.the little piece on the end that bolts in ,is that cemented in tight.

Ok.wherethe secondary air fluegets cemented in I guess, does the little piece on the end that bolts in,does it get cemented in tight???

that one i am not to sure. but i also don't know what piece you are asking about. on my defiant secondary air runs across the back between the stove back and the fireback but because of the movement of the fireback when running there is a edge on the backwall of the stove and one on the fireback put cement on both edges and the is a screen that you would shape kind of like a V with small horizontal wings off the top of the V on both sides those wings get sunk into the cement and that separates the primary and secondary air. not sure if you stove is the same on mine that channel meets up with the secondary air manifold a little cement there. i hope these come thru this is for yours and my stove my you can use them

Attachments

• VCVigilant II Service Manual.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 204
  • old Defiant rebuild instructions.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 218
  • Vermont Castings Defiant.pdf
    629.6 KB · Views: 200
  • Vermont Castings Manual pages 1-8.pdf
    865 KB · Views: 189
  • Vermont Castings Manual pages 9-15.pdf
    1,011.6 KB · Views: 250