wood stove liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

Rnl87

Sep 19, 2024
Connecticut
Hey everyone! My family and I moved to a new house 2 years ago. In the basement of the new house there is a wood boiler that is in disrepair. My plan is to take this boiler apart and remove it and install a Wood stove. I bought a used All nighter mid moe. Ive always loved the look of them, i talked to the building inspector in town and i described the situation i.e. unfinished basement no combustibles. He told me sounds like a straight forward install. just watch my clearances to the floor joists above. Homeowners ins. wants it to be installed by a professional. whatever that means and they want a copy of the receipt. I have a relative that is a contractor. So I plan on complying with all that as I want to be safe. Now here's where I'm hoping for some help from you guys, I plan on dropping a liner in this existing masonry chimney. its an 8" round clay tile flue. I need to get a 6" flexible smooth wall liner down it, which doesn't sound too bad. but when I research liners some say I need to insulate the liner with a 1/2" blanket. some dont mention insulation at all. Is the insulation required or is a it a nice to have? and if it is required after I wrap it around this 6" liner will it fit down my 8" round flue tile I get a little worried with it being a tight clearance all it would take would be one of the clay joints to have a little mortar squeeze out to hold me up? If any of you have any experience with this your help would be greatly appreciated!!

i should mention its a straight run in an exterior chimney on the gable end of my ranch. it extends into the basement and about 4 ft below where the stove would plug in theres a cleanout door. talking about 25 or so feet of run. i think i may need to size down to 5.5" liner?

If it's 8" ID and a clean, straight shot then DuraLiner rigid should fit. It's preinsulated and 6 5/8" OD.

Reactions: Rnl87
If it is 8" ID without any bad offsets any insulated 6" liner should fit fine. BTW don't get the 2 ply smooth wall junk. Get a midweight or heavy wall liner

If it is 8" ID without any bad offsets any insulated 6" liner should fit fine. BTW don't get the 2 ply smooth wall junk. Get a midweight or heavy wall liner
I still have to get up top and have a look down and see what this thing looks like I'm hoping I see a decent looking flue job. its not that old house was built in the 80's but pretty sure they used this wood boiler as a main heat source for quite some time until the prev owner installed a propane forced hot air system I just want the wood stove to heat the basement in the winter and give some supplemental heat upstairs if I can. What are some you would recommend. I was thinking the "smooth" wall so I wouldn't get build up. what are some decent flexible liner brands that wont break the bank. I was looking at home depot and Lowes as the both offer liners and I happen to have a bunch of gift cards stocked up. And do I definitely need to insulate this thing? What thickness is considered mid weight or heavy?

If it's 8" ID and a clean, straight shot then DuraLiner rigid should fit. It's preinsulated and 6 5/8" OD.
I just checked their website ill have to look around. The rigid stuff seems to be a little out of the price range i was hoping for.

Also, with that stove not being very efficient (as in heat out vs lbs of dry wood in), and your basement not being insulated (unfinished), you'll be needing a lot of wood.

Also, with that stove not being very efficient (as in heat out vs lbs of dry wood in), and your basement not being insulated (unfinished), you'll be needing a lot of wood.
I knew that going in this is not going to be an all the time runner and if it does turn into something wed like to try to do as a whole season thing im not afraid to upgrade to a newer style stove at a later date. Current state is to just heat down there on the weekends + when we want to use our basement in the winter for added living space. rest of the year we are outdoor people. Our basement is not insulated/finished but the foundation itself is insulated on the exterior hopefully that will help avoid some temp transfer. Right now just trying to get some part time heat on the cheap.

Reactions: stoveliker
Sounds like a reasonable plan, especially if the first priority is to do this properly and safely. Burn dry wood for the cleanest operation and flue.

I think this is what i will go with ive read good things on rockford. Lowes and home depot offer a liner from chim cap corp and forever vent. Is there any reason i should go rockford over the other two from depot/lowes? i couldnt find a kit in 304 on amazon. im trying to make this project work with gift cards i have because well why not haha i have 400 to amazon and 800 to either lowes or home depot. steer me in the right direction. i dropped a pellet liner in my old house and didnt put this much thought into it i dont know why im getting so hung up on this one perhaps because of the added size or hotter flue temps that i will see with a wood stove vs pellet. im having purchase paralysis

I think this is what i will go with ive read good things on rockford. Lowes and home depot offer a liner from chim cap corp and forever vent. Is there any reason i should go rockford over the other two from depot/lowes? i couldnt find a kit in 304 on amazon. im trying to make this project work with gift cards i have because well why not haha i have 400 to amazon and 800 to either lowes or home depot. steer me in the right direction. i dropped a pellet liner in my old house and didnt put this much thought into it i dont know why im getting so hung up on this one perhaps because of the added size or hotter flue temps that i will see with a wood stove vs pellet. im having purchase paralysis

If your getting light wall you probably won't find 304. It's pretty much all 316