Wood stove insulation board substitutes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nathanbrkljacic

Jan 17, 2020
Greenfield, Indiana
I have a vogelzang performer wood stove and the insulation board is falling apart. May seem like a stupid question but I'm not in a place where replacing it will be an easy task without a descent wait time. I'm wondering if I can use a flat piece of slate cut to the size of the insulation board above the secondary burn tubes in place of the insulation even if it's just for a couple weeks until I can get the right parts in... i wasnt sure how much the insulation board was for redirecting heat and exhaust gasses or if its strictly to keep heat inside the stove to help the secondary burn process.

I doubt slate would hold up for more than a couple days.

Yes, most substitutes don't last too long.

Everything Ive read about slate says its fireproof and can resist just about any temperature that a wood stove could produce under regular operation. Being that it was formed with extreme heat and pressure. The only issue I've found is if it's to thin it could crack but even cracked slate I'd think would be better than swiss cheesed insulation board . Until I get the right insulation panel atleast....

Just order the board. It shouldn't take 2 weeks to deliver. If you have the exact measurements you may be able to order a substitute sheet on Amazon and cut it down to the proper size.

Everything Ive read about slate says its fireproof and can resist just about any temperature that a wood stove could produce under regular operation. Being that it was formed with extreme heat and pressure. The only issue I've found is if it's to thin it could crack but even cracked slate I'd think would be better than swiss cheesed insulation board . Until I get the right insulation panel atleast....
It will crumble in a stove I am sure. It doesn't take rapid heat change well.