Wood stove in an ICF house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Build an outdoor patio and have an outdoor fireplace there? In MO I bet that would get a lot of use all year round...

We are all jealous of how insulted your home is. You want fire which the rest of us definitely understand. In my opinion get a small stove and open a window or use the fireplace. With that house insulated that well using a fireplace 4 to 5 times a year for ambience is fine in my opinion. Get a nice glass screen for the front and let it rip on holidays and valentines day..put a bearskin rug in front and go at it.

We are all jealous of how insulted your home is. You want fire which the rest of us definitely understand. In my opinion get a small stove and open a window or use the fireplace. With that house insulated that well using a fireplace 4 to 5 times a year for ambience is fine in my opinion. Get a nice glass screen for the front and let it rip on holidays and valentines day..put a bearskin rug in front and go at it.

I have to say that I went for an electric fireplace ($200) in the townhouse in town and it's good enough for me. But I can play with real fire at the cabin in the weekends, which I look forward to A LOT. Can't wait for a week at Christmas!

I'm here in Saudi Arabia, Allahs Country, creating a mock up of an ICF wall vs the normal block they use here (which incorporates foam also). This is the location: http://www.theguardian.com/environm...i-arabias-solar-for-oil-plan-is-a-ray-of-hope
For 3 weeks I have worked with this stuff, cutting, shaping, creating forms to pour cement into so people can see it in a showcase setting. Today we pull the main cement form to reveal cross sections. I'm not having that warm fuzzy feeling as the pour was vertical and horizontal above out heads and many twists and turns.
My last home was insulated panel construction energy star home that I spent 10 years constructing with a Mansfield Stove. My transition home last winter was an uninsulated home with a Progress. Oddly, in some ways I liked the uninsulated better. Never thought I'd say that. New home is a "hybrid" old farm house in Vt. gutted and updated in the late 90s.

Attachments

• Wood stove in an ICF house
    Mock up.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.