Wood stove and backdraft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hi! My wife and I just bought our first house in Maine. We have a finished basement with a wood stove. We had chimney guys do work on our 3 flues including lining the basement wood stove with a stainless liner and insulation.

When I first light the wood stove, I do it slowly so I can get my system heated. Even then, I get probably 20% of the smoke backdrafted into my basement. Enough to make the basement gray and smell of smoke.

I have no windows down there, it adjoins to my utility room and garage.

I’m having an ERV system installed to hopefully balance out any negative air pressure and honestly I want some fresh air vented down there

What are others thoughts on this or have any recommendations on what I can do to prevent the backdraft especially if the ERV doesn’t help?
Adding outside air will be a big help but there are some other things the most recent is a stack inducer which is a heater designed into the flue it plugs into 110 outlet and has a snap disk that kicks off when adequate heat is reached for natural draft or to stop the down draft they run about $400.00 though.