Wood source near NYC?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Gooserider. You said
the issue is NOT with what your house is made from, the issue is strictly with the cheap-@$$ Vogelzang stove that you were wanting to install.
Obviously it should be another topic of discussion. in fact, it looks like ( from my end) you just mixed several points without having solid proof.
As you have mentioned "cheap" stove with meaning small amount of money paid I can be to oppose you. $200.00 does mean nothing for me for such matter. I 've been trained to survive in cold weather ( while serving my term in Soviet Army) and capable to make simple stove from clay, straw and water for 2 hours. It was working stove believe you or not. So your hypothetical point of being cheap means nothing and is not acceptable. Some technical inventions are very cheap to produce but work good and efficient.
Safety is different point. You have no idea how many people FORD Corporation killed because of their cars were unsafe. Each case being investigated separately without connections to the technical mechanical problems for a number of years.
I see what is going on with FORD cars listening my poor neighbors, stupid friends and well known body shop mechanics. That is why I used to drive Toyotas. I have no personal experience with FORD and that is why I keep silence on forums regarding bed experience with FORD. You have to see my obvious point - do not base your opinion about something just looking at the product price. Test it and after that only you will authorized to say something. No offence, but except for the number of funny questions regarding further fire effects because of causations of Vogelzand usage you have provided nothing. Tell me something tangible about that stove. Thank you anyway.

You make a valid point that the price of the stove is not the problem with it. Cheap doesn't HAVE to mean shoddy, just as expensive doesn't always mean high quality, but all reports that I have seen say that Vogelzang gets it's low price by not building a quality product. Their castings are substandard, the design does not comply with current emissions specs, and the way that they wiggle into an exemption makes the stove prone to over-firing, which increases the risks posed by the substandard castings. If you search the forums, you will find a description of a fire inspection done by Elk, where a Vogelzang stove had a structural failure in the firebox - There were multiple problems with the installation, so it isn't 100% clear that the stove caused the fire directly, but a firebox failure is not acceptable even so.

You mention learning to build an improvised material stove that worked. I certainly believe it can be done, but I notice you aren't talking about installing one of those in your house... I would class the Vogelzang stove as slightly better than your field built stove, but not by much, and would consider both suitable for similar installation conditions.

A more modern design stove, made to current standards will inherently burn cleaner, more efficiently, and IF installed properly, with much greater safety.

Safety is also a relative matter - I won't get into the question of whether Ford is worse than other american car makers, but since you mention the USSR, it might be asking how a Ford compares to a Trabant? (actually the Ford might be more dangerous, it runs... %-P )

Vogelzang is sort of the Trabant of stove companies...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.