Wood pellets a commodity?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richkorn

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 28, 2008
SE CT
I was going to home depot tomorrow to get a ton of pellets because I get 10% off on Veterans Day. I called the store today and they said that discount does not apply to wood pellets because they are a commodity. Does that sound right?

Thanks.

Not to me. Thank you for your service.

bob

Reactions: richkorn
NO, IMO, it doesn't sound right but it does sound like HD.

Reactions: bags
I've heard of HD doing that before. Thank you, fellow veteran!

Reactions: richkorn
TSC giving 15% off tomorrow in-store purchases for all vets. They'll get my business.

Don't think businesses on this side of the border do the same for our vets. My respect and thanks for your service.

As to pellets being a commodity, are they speculating futures now like citrus crops and pork bellies? Made me think of Eddie Murphy in Trading Places:)

Last edited:
Reactions: GT_Sharp
Check Lowes, I think they give vets a discount everyday.
Thanks to all for their service.

Reactions: bags and rich2500
I have found I can rarely get things done by phone with them (unless it has to do with delivery). I show up at the store do my business and go to pay. If they tell me a discount doesn't apply (I've had this happen for other things), I point out that no such restrictions are on the coupon (or in the past, on the HD CC use). I have always gotten the discount I expected. When all is said and done, the company's policy is to keep the customer happy if what they are asking is fairly reasonable.

Reactions: rich2500
I have found I can rarely get things done by phone with them (unless it has to do with delivery). I show up at the store do my business and go to pay. If they tell me a discount doesn't apply (I've had this happen for other things), I point out that no such restrictions are on the coupon (or in the past, on the HD CC use). I have always gotten the discount I expected. When all is said and done, the company's policy is to keep the customer happy if what they are asking is fairly reasonable.

To avoid the hassle I went to TSC and got 15% off for Vets Day. MWP $210

The MWP's that I have gotten this year from TSC have been burning very nicely - I think you will be happy with them.

Reactions: rich2500
I avoid HD because they have always tended to give me the run around on veteran discounts or deals in general. I'm a contractor and much prefer Lowe's. They give me a 10% discount across the board on everything including sale items and tons of pellets.

All you have to do is show the cashier a military ID when checking out and they take the 10% off immediately. A military ID, VA ID, etc; works. Or you could take your DD-214 in if you do not have an ID. If you do not go to your local VA and they will give you an ID.

Reactions: bogieb
Earlier this year Family Farm & Home had a big coupon for their rewards members. Like $50 off per ton. Since local franchises in this area are notorious for making their own rules, I emailed the company and got it in writing that it could be used for pellets. The local store reluctantly honored it, and immediately after that every coupon said "not valid for wood pellets".

I still go to FFH because for some reason it's still considerably cheaper to get them there, than drive to the factory where these very pellets are made and pick them up myself. The factory is even closer to my house.

They used to, but no longer, at least the store I use in Massachusetts. They seemed to have tightened up their definition of a vet and the needed proof of being one.

All you have to do is show the cashier a military ID when checking out and they take the 10% off immediately. A military ID, VA ID, etc; works. Or you could take your DD-214 in if you do not have an ID. If you do not go to your local VA and they will give you an ID.

Blowes always gives me 10% on everything. I also get additional discounts they do not know about (Not Stealing) so I end up with about 20% off pellets. Rarely shop at Homo Dopo because Blowes is about .5 mile away.

Status
Not open for further replies.