Wood Pellet shortage....West Coast

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Again and again I will say the shipping is the big price jump in pellets.

My cost of the pellets has gone up $15 in the past 5 years.
shipping has ALMOST doubled.

Shane said:
I'm really curious to see what pellet stove sales did this year industry wide. They were down here. The shortages last year really hurt the public's perception of pellet heating. Not to mention that with NG at .75 per therm including all taxes & delivery charges burning pellets in lieu of natural gas is like throwing dollar bills away. Still saving over the LPG prices which last time I checked were still hovering in the 1.70 range. I've been a huge supporter of the pellet industry both in my personal home by heating it with pellets and in the store I work at selling pellet stoves. But like many here have already mentioned, the price of stoves and pellets are forcing the technology back to the novelty stage. Only people with money to burn are going to want them and that's sad. It'll be like having a cd player back in the 80's.

Shane:
I agree with most of what you are saying. You are in an NG producer state. Your price is great, so little would compete, even wood, which is a little scarce state wide. I personally think we are seeing an anomoly is pellet pricing. Stove pricing I agree is out of control. I don't think a new model each year is appropriate. Minor improvements in technology don't justify the price increases. I know early stoves were expensive, I have a 12 year old Jamestown that sold new for $1,400.00 (plus price and gratiuity). Technologically then, very good, compared to today, a dinosaur. But it still heats well and has run almost trouble free all season. What's the value on the used market, $4-500? The ultra sophisticated Pellet Stoves are more expensive that Comparable technology in Forced Air Furnaces. Many wood stoves now have high level of technology, but are not nearly as expensive. Probably because they market would not tolerate the increase. Pellet stove buyers have tolerated the prices, so why ask less.

As far as pellet prices go, they are off the scale in the West. I blame everyone for this. P-burners who have some history with the technology, find a way to buy pre-season for cheap and try to buy a seasons worth. Or try to get a stove store to contract for a pre-set amount. That's just good planning. Oil buyers and propane buyers try and do the same thing. NG you are at the mercy of the supplier, and the state regulators. As the casual user learns the ins-outs of buying, things will stablize.

With p-burners most are just beginning their learning curves. Wood burners have ages of data on the do's and don't's. Give the general pellet industry 10 years and we'll be just as sophisticated as the wood burners. They we can argue the merits of different makes and types of exhaust fans to increase efficiency, and other pellet esoteric topics.

"p-burners" ha , I like that.

UncleRich , you ole' p-burner you.

I'm going to find a "woodstove" thread and we'll talk about you p-burners .

Roospike said:

Roospike:

Thanks for the complement. Of course, I was really looking for license to call wood burners, w-burners, or dubya's for short. Think that's fair?

UncleRich said:
Roospike said:

Roospike:

Thanks for the complement. Of course, I was really looking for license to call wood burners, w-burners, or dubya's for short. Think that's fair?

Whatever fits the bill and is easiest 4 ya . I think "fuel scroungers" would be more of a kick in the butt for the wood burners .

We could have:

p-burners = pellet stove users

fuel scroungers = woods stove burners

smoke dragons = the non epa guys/gals

gas-aholics = gas burners

oil-smokers = fuel oil users

bushel burners = corn fuel

dinosaur burners = Coal users ( Edit / tks BeGreen )

We could have like Hearth forum gangs , have our own colors , do our own funky finger and arm call signs , have our gang sign tattooed on the back of our neck.

*********************** :lol: ***********************

don't forget the fossil fuelers

Tonight's local channel 4 news. Pellet shortage affecting nearly the entire country due to the fire at Cascade Locks which "destroyed" the pellet producing factory. They then show Dels farm supply rationing pellets to customers and the disgruntled pellet burners unable to keep their children warm. They showed fire film clips of piles of smoldering pellets.

Hey, I know it ain't that bad but the media sure put a negative spin on the fuel.

Here's a link to the story. It reports that pellet stove sales are up 76% over last year. That correlates with the increased pellet stove posts here on the forum, It doesn't really blame the Cascade Locks fire as the cause, but mentions it as part of the problem. This a Seattle news report and says with a somewhat provincial bias that the pellet shortage is affecting "pretty much the whole country". (Well that's anything west of Colorado, right?)

http://www.komotv.com/news/5349811.html

jimkelt said:
Hammerjoe said:
jimkelt said:
Wood Pellets are a clean, renewable, price stable fuel.

Not in my corner of the world, unless you consider a price increase of 50% in less than a year stable!

Price stable

Let's look at oil first:
2007 Current $55 (and going up). A 366% increase in ten years

Pellets (my prices first)
2007 Low price in my area both summer and winter $213 (34% increase in ten years)

I will only mention in passing another post stating pellets for sale in MA for $3.00 a bag. That would be $150 per ton...aka less than ten years ago.

Like I said not in my corner of the world.
I cant confirm your numbers and I believe them, but when you lok at the oil prices you see exactly why people tried to get away from it and went pellets and now the industry is doing it as well.
Its like jumping from the fire into the frying pan. :)

BeGreen said:
Here's a link to the story. It reports that pellet stove sales are up 76% over last year. That correlates with the increased pellet stove posts here on the forum, It doesn't really blame the Cascade Locks fire as the cause, but mentions it as part of the problem. This a Seattle news report and says with a somewhat provincial bias that the pellet shortage is affecting "pretty much the whole country". (Well that's anything west of Colorado, right?)

Total Ca-Ca. I would think that we as a responsible forum should smouther that scandel journalist with the facts. If each member of this forum sent a personal message about how things really are, it would help the public see that it is a temporary area only shortage and in no way reflects on the industry as a whole. Too sensational with no facts. Writer needs to go to work for the National Inquirer.

By the By, I am going to copy this email to that flacky reporter, and to his editor. Separate of course.

Listen to the video, it is reporting about the local area shortage. They only mention the national scene at the very end. The transcription has errors. And from what I am reading now in the Walmart pellets thread, it sounds like some east coast folks are scrambling for fuel now that that temps have dropped.

BeGreen said:
Listen to the video, it is reporting about the local area shortage. They only mention the national scene at the very end. The transcription has errors. And from what I am reading now in the Walmart pellets thread, it sounds like some east coast folks are scrambling for fuel now that that temps have dropped.

BeGreen: Couldn't listen, but seems like it is just sensationalizing. That news network won't retract anything, nor make a correction on air. Because my local grocery ran out of broccholi doesn't mean there is a national shortage. This is trash journalism meant to make the public worried about the industry. If you sell pellet stoves, are you ready for tomorrow when the public comes in and asks you why they should buy a stove when there is a shortage NATIONWIDE of pellets? Panic news and nothing more.

the reporter , what a boob " The pellet shortage is pretty much affecting the whole country"

I have to agree with the statement "National Inquirer"

BeGreen said:
There is PLENTY of fuel in New England. Only the people who want to buy the cheap clearance Walmart pellets can't find THOSE right now- and ONLY at some Walmarts. That is because Walmart does not carry fuel year round. EVERY year at this time they clearance their fuel to make room for their spring and summer stuff. I got three trucks this week! Can get many more if I want to!
THERE IS NO SHORTAGE AT ALL IN NEW ENGLAND. The Seattle people should be reprimanded for being so sensational about their report.

Jim,

What did you pay at Walmart? Which Walmart?

And I second Jim's comments about fuel in our area. There is no shortage here.

UncleRich said:
BeGreen said:

Total Ca-Ca. I would think that we as a responsible forum should smouther that scandel journalist with the facts. If each member of this forum sent a personal message about how things really are, it would help the public see that it is a temporary area only shortage and in no way reflects on the industry as a whole. Too sensational with no facts. Writer needs to go to work for the National Inquirer.

By the By, I am going to copy this email to that flacky reporter, and to his editor. Separate of course.

tonybertino said:
Jim,

What did you pay at Walmart? Which Walmart?

And I second Jim's comments about fuel in our area. There is no shortage here.

I don't get my pellets at Walmart. I get mine at the hearth shop. I was referring to the other thread where someone was talking about "one" walmart near them (MA I think) being out. Sorry I got all tangled up in all the thread :)

Was told by pinnacle today that I will not receive anymore shipments for at least 2 weeks
So that makes me 55 tons short for what Deposits I have for pellets.

hearthtools said:
Was told by pinnacle today that I will not receive anymore shipments for at least 2 weeks
So that makes me 55 tons short for what Deposits I have for pellets.

Rod:
Big Bummer. What reason did Pinnacle give for the delay? What are you going to do for your customers? Can you call and let them know to conserve? As dependable as Pinnacle has been in delivering to you what are they going to do for you? Can they double up deliveries, or are your customers now going to panic?

Lot's more questions, but they depend on what answers you've got to these.

Regarding the last post first. Been there, had to deal with that. It is a tough deal. I feel for you! Found myself wondering if I would trade with you as we are sitting on excess at this point. Hard to say, right now, which is worse. I know next year we will be back in your situation out East. There has to be a better way.

Status
Not open for further replies.