Wood Insert Selectionn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Warfox

Aug 7, 2024
Southeast Massachusetts
Hi guys,

I am interested in installing a wood insert into our existing fireplace in our living room. House total is 1550 sq. ft. , but essentially two-halves separated by a long hall with bed rooms off the hall.

Fireplace Dimensions:

D = 21”
W (front) = 36”
W (rear) = 26”
H = 29.5”

Front of house where living room located, not open floor plan:

Sunroom 12 x 14 =168
Dining room 9.5 x 13 = 123.5
Living room 13 x 19.5 = 253.5
Hall 11 x 3.5 = 38.5
Kitchen 11.5 x 9 = 103.5
= 687 sq. feet

I’m looking for an insert to take the burden off of our oil boiler/ Mitsubishi Hyper-Heat heat pump, and as backup for power-outages.

I’m really liking the Lopi ….? Answer vs Evergreen?

Are they both now Catalytic?

Neither of these Lopi inserts are catalytic.

The Lopi’s are from a dealer in Providence.

Another local(er) dealer has the following:

Hearthstone
Quadrafire
Napoleon
Vermont Castings( I’ve read dubious reviews re their quality of late)
Morso
Timberwolf
Blaze King

Is prefer *non* catalytic, but not a total deal-breaker.

Any opinions for the area size?

Thanks!

Stove size will depend on how well the heat can convect to adjacent spaces, how the stove is run, and the fuel load. Are the rooms closed off by doorways or is there a large connecting opening between adjacent spaces?

Stove size will depend on how well the heat can convect to adjacent spaces, how the stove is run, and the fuel load. Are the rooms closed off by doorways or is there a large connecting opening between adjacent spaces

This is a rough floor plan of my house.
IMG_1766.jpeg
The living room flows openly through dining room and French doors into playroom. Wall between living room and kitchen.

Last edited:
Is the fireplace 100% masonry or a factory built fireplace (often called zero clearance). The reason this is essential to know is many wood inserts are not approved for factory built fireplaces (including ours). If you are not certain, post some pictures and the experts here can help.

BKVP