wood insert recommendations for large house small opening

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kjbreit

Jul 22, 2017
wisconsin
Hello, I am looking for a little advice for a wood insert. We just bought a 1913 3,000 sq foot bungalow in Wisconsin. We have forced gas heat and I think reasonable attic insulation but doubt wall insulation. we want a wood insert for our unlined masonry fireplace. We want it for the enjoyment of a fire, power outages and hopefully a fair bit of heat.

Unfortunately though the opening is large it has an impressive taper. width goes from 35 inches to 26 at the back, depth goes from 19 at the bottom to 15 inches at the top and height goes from 26 3/4 to 17 inches at the very back. The fireplace is on the floor with only 18 inches of tile. I am not sure how much we will use the stove but want something with good output, large viewing window and high quality. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some inserts have adjustable depth and taper a bit in back. Check out the Hearthstone Clydesdale for instance.