Wood Insert or Freestanding Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
couple of things to add to this. first, i have the same situiation. i have a freestander, see my avatar. I have a open, two story room with a two-story masonry fireplace. mine is located on an outside wall- which SUCKS! is yours on an outside wall? basically, having a few layers of brick, then the outside lends itself to losing tons of heat. i love my freestander for looks, but i wonder if an insert, which i can insulate behind would keep me warmer.

there are 2 BK inserts in the classifieds BTW. both down by me. I have considered buying one to try, but its an expensive "test".

freestanders can be tough to pipe into a fireplace. bks dont like elbows down by the stove. a rear vent is best.

couple of things to add to this. first, i have the same situiation. i have a freestander, see my avatar. I have a open, two story room with a two-story masonry fireplace. mine is located on an outside wall- which SUCKS! is yours on an outside wall? basically, having a few layers of brick, then the outside lends itself to losing tons of heat. i love my freestander for looks, but i wonder if an insert, which i can insulate behind would keep me warmer.

there are 2 BK inserts in the classifieds BTW. both down by me. I have considered buying one to try, but its an expensive "test".

freestanders can be tough to pipe into a fireplace. bks dont like elbows down by the stove. a rear vent is best.
Great info. Going with an insert. I know my cousin had an insert installed a few years back and used Roxul to insulate with. He seemed to be happy.

Yes I reloaded this morning. Depending on weather, I reload 3x. 1 in am 1 about 3 or 4 and one before bed. If the outside temp is above 40 and sunny, I skip the afternoon reload. That maintains 70 degrees in the house.

Wood Burning Fireplaces:
i.e. http://www.pacificenergy.net/products/wood/fireplaces/fp30/

Another consideration rather than an insert, which I do not believe was mentioned, would require some destruction and reconstruction - may be an option depending on what is behind the current fireplace.

Here's a photo. the stairs lead to the loft upstairs.

As an example, I loaded the box at 11 last night, let it get up to 1000 on the cat thermometer and pulled the air back to 95 percent closed. It was 72 at the windows when I went to bed and this am at 8, it was 65 at the windows. If the blower was up higher it would maintain.
Nice room!

Unfortunately I don't have the clearances. Funny what a day does. My sons actually like the old fashioned looking insert more than the modern ones. Going to look tomorrow at 9am together. My sons like the BK princess the most. I like the Sirrocco and the FPX large flush and PE Neo. Wife prefers flush as well. Tomorrow will tell.

If you can get up to Preston, they have the Enviro inserts. Worth a look.

Unfortunately I don't have the clearances. Funny what a day does. My sons actually like the old fashioned looking insert more than the modern ones. Going to look tomorrow at 9am together. My sons like the BK princess the most. I like the Sirrocco and the FPX large flush and PE Neo. Wife prefers flush as well. Tomorrow will tell.
Where are you in CT . Did you check Dean stove in southington. They have a lot of Travis . ( And pushing them hard, no longer BK dealer.)

Back from my tour. Visited 6 places. Came away wanting the Fireplace X large Flush. Appears the heat output is pretty good. Mixed reviews from different shops on the Regency CI2600 and the Hampton HI400. Those that carried the BK Sirocco had great thinhs to say about the unit but felt the FPX was a step above. While the burn time would not be the same with the FPX all other factors considered, FPX was a little better.

Thoughts?

Back from my tour. Visited 6 places. Came away wanting the Fireplace X large Flush. Appears the heat output is pretty good. Mixed reviews from different shops on the Regency CI2600 and the Hampton HI400. Those that carried the BK Sirocco had great things to say about the unit but felt the FPX was a step above. While the burn time would not be the same with the FPX all other factors considered, FPX was a little better.

Thoughts?
This one?
http://www.fireplacex.com/ProductGuide/ProductDetail.aspx?modelsku=99800604

http://www.fireplacex.com/TravisDocs/98800725.pdf

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/fpx-avalon-large-flush-wood-hybrid-any-input.88522/

The “step above” on the large FPX is the 3.0 cu-ft firebox. Should get you where you want to be. (Looks like it tapers toward the back though. . .might not hold more wood than the Princess’ relatively square box.;))

. . .Funny what a day does. My sons actually like the old fashioned looking insert more than the modern ones. Going to look tomorrow at 9am together. My sons like the BK princess the most. . .
To some eyes, the older BK Princess, with it’s weird angles, may be “modern” looking. The flat “neo” designs seem more minimalist in comparison.

Last edited:
You'll like it if you get it. The burn times are not as long but if you use hardwood (oak or locust) the coals will keep the box hot enough to keep you warm. Just remember a ceiling fan.

Right now it's 18 outside and the temp of the house in front of the glass wall is 67 with the fan on 1/2 speed.

You'll like it if you get it. The burn times are not as long but if you use hardwood (oak or locust) the coals will keep the box hot enough to keep you warm. Just remember a ceiling fan.

Right now it's 18 outside and the temp of the house in front of the glass wall is 67 with the fan on 1/2 speed.
I'm looking to keep that room up to at minimum 75°

Hopefully I get a decide burn time if I go with this unit.
Those that have post some pictures. Would love to see what it looks like

Depending on outside temp and how much of the room is insulated and type of wood, it should work. In my situation the one wall is 25 ft with it being almost all glass. Lot of heat loss.

Yes, there are a lot of variables in heating: Insulation, area size, ceiling height, fuel, heat loss, stove, outside temp, desired inside temp, operator, etc.. This is why marketing literature needs to be taken with a grain of salt. It's sometimes written extolling the virtues of heating in ideal conditions.