Wood Insert Buying Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kdv30

Jan 3, 2021
Annandale, VA
Remodeling basement and purchasing a wood insert for an existing open masonry fireplace. The fireplace is quite large, so we're looking at the large inserts, so it doesn't look like a microwave. :) Opinions as to best options for a flush mounted, contemporary unit? Currently between Lopi, Regency, and Osburn. Any others I should be looking at? There doesn't seem to be a large amount of choices in wood inserts. Also, while I like the Lopi large insert, the quote I got (approaching $7k installed) seems nuts. Thanks!

Please share some additional info on fireplace size, chimney height, space it’s going to be heating, how you want to use it, etc
Lots of folks to offer helpful options once we know those details

Please share some additional info on fireplace size, chimney height, space it’s going to be heating, how you want to use it, etc
Lots of folks to offer helpful options once we know those details
Thanks! Opening is 38Wx29Hx33D. The basement is about 900 sq ft, but the hope would be to heat the basement and then turn on the furnace fan to bring hot air to the rest of the house. We do not intend this to be a sole heat source for the winter, and do not intend to run it 24/7. It's a two-story colonial so with the fireplace in the basement I need about a 35-ft liner.

I recently purchased the Lopi Large Flush Insert. Its been great for me so far! I'm happy to share if you have any specific questions. And yes, it is very expensive. I had mine installed with 28' of insulated stainless flex, and it was a little under $7k. Have you gotten price quotes for the equivalent Regency and Osburn? I doubt they are much less. I got quoted on the Blaze King Ashford insert and it was about the same price as the Lopi.

Contemporary styling is a bit more difficult to come by but the Blaze King Sirocco 25 and Pacific Energy Neo 2.5 could be worth looking at.

one additional thought i'd put out there is that if you're not trying to get something in for this season (many are backordered anyway) then there is a good chance you'll have more options hit the market later this year. Many stoves didn't comply with the new regs right away and are still being reworked.

Not sure how your basement is set up but we put a freestanding stove in ours. It works so well it made me wish we had eliminated the upstairs stone fireplace and gone with a freestanding stove up there. They seem to be so much more efficient and also less expensive than an insert.
To me a fireplace that large in a basement begs for a freestanding stove piped into the existing fireplace.

Reactions: buc74
I have a regency Classic 2450 insert and I love love love this unit! I had an Pacific Energy stove on my previous home and they are both built in my home province in Canada but I am so happy with regency they make a gorgeous product. Regency makes a contemporary looking insert as well to give you an idea my total cost including install and taxes was 4500 Canadian maple dollars. Hope that helps

The 35' chimney will have a strong draft I would look heavily at the Pacific Energy. They have the EBT system on them that helps limit air intake into the secondary burn manifold. Do some research here and ask the the dealers about what insert will work well with that chimney height. Make sure you get an insulated liner and block off plate for it.

Thanks all for the advice/tips. It came down to the Regency ci2700 or the Lopi large flush. Decided on the latter. Price was pretty comparable and we liked the larger viewing area of the Lopi. Plus, the dealer just happened to have one coming in 3 weeks that wasn't spoken for. Looking forward to getting some fires in this winter still!

Reactions: avsmusic1
Thanks all for the advice/tips. It came down to the Regency ci2700 or the Lopi large flush. Decided on the latter. Price was pretty comparable and we liked the larger viewing area of the Lopi. Plus, the dealer just happened to have one coming in 3 weeks that wasn't spoken for. Looking forward to getting some fires in this winter still!
Congrats on the new insert! I know its a tough decision, especially as expensive as these things have gotten. Recovering the cost through utility bill savings takes a long time at these prices.

Hopefully, you'll like your Lopi as much as I have.

Check out the enerzone destination 2.7. They also have a smaller insert. Both are very good looking. I had an install quote for $4500 in Wisconsin.

Remodeling basement and purchasing a wood insert for an existing open masonry fireplace. The fireplace is quite large, so we're looking at the large inserts, so it doesn't look like a microwave. :) Opinions as to best options for a flush mounted, contemporary unit? Currently between Lopi, Regency, and Osburn. Any others I should be looking at? There doesn't seem to be a large amount of choices in wood inserts. Also, while I like the Lopi large insert, the quote I got (approaching $7k installed) seems nuts. Thanks!
What's wrong with a microwave?

I found an old kenmore during a curb treasure day a few years ago, slammed it into the fireplace, and it works great. Did your new Lopi come with a defrost function?