Advice for insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Laliluleloh

Feb 20, 2024
Socal
Hi all

Would like some advice on getting an insert. I own a small house in socal and we are expanding from 1200 to 1600 SQ ft. The fireplace we barely use, maybe 5-10 times a year in winter after it rains to keep the smell out. It doesn't get below 40 here in socal. With negative pressure, the smell from the chimney comes down sometimes. Got it cleaned and smell is still there. I am unsure on getting an insert as it is expensive and we would need to buy wood. Our house is from 1960-70 so the rooms are very separated. Not open concept style. Wondering if we should just leave it as is and burn occasionally to save money. Heating is about 80-100 for 3-4 months natural gas but we are upgrading electric panel for heat pumps in the future. We do like wood fires and would do it more often but open hearth costs more than it saves right now. Are there any lower cost efficient wood inserts? We have not looked for a quote but from what I've seen so far online, they run 5-7k with install and a 2k fed tax credit... Still seems pretty steep. Would be okay if it lasts 30 years but catalytic ones need replairs every 5.

Thank you!

Looks at the smaller Century wood inserts or consider a natural gas insert.

Reactions: Laliluleloh
once you get warmed up from a wood fire it's hard to go back

I’d be looking at gas, personally. If you’re only lighting the fireplace to keep the smell out, going all out on wood would become a chore.

Removing the fireplace could also be an option.

We have a log lighter so gas is an option. However my wife does not like the static fires. At $2 per therm it is also not very cheap. We don't have much space but can probably store 1 cord of wood. We probably won't burn a full cord over winter, maybe half? Will look into the cheaper wood fire inserts. Only downside is the window size. Thank you!

I asked MS Copilot and this is their response based on my fireplace dimensions.

I searched the web for wood fireplace inserts with the biggest viewing area and found some results that might suit your needs. Based on your fireplace dimensions, you will need a large insert that can fit a 34" width, 26.5" height, and 20" depth opening. Here are some options:

- [Ci2700 Contemporary Wood Burning Insert by Regency](^1^): This insert has a large fire viewing area with heat radiating ceramic glass, a heavy duty cast hinge, and a digital catalytic temperature monitor. It has a maximum BTU of 78,000 and a higher heating value efficiency of 77%. It has a width of 29 inches, a height of 21.75 inches, and a depth of 19 inches.
- [Large Flush Wood Rectangular NexGen-Hybrid™ by Fireplace Xtrordinair](^4^): This insert has a sleek, flush design, a big, beautiful fire viewing area, and concealed convection fans. It has a maximum BTU of 76,700 and a higher heating value efficiency of 80%. It has a width of 28.5 inches, a height of 22 inches, and a depth of 19 inches.
- [I3100 Wood Burning Fireplace Insert by Regency](^6^): This insert has a classic design, a large viewing area, and a brick-lined firebox. It has a maximum BTU of 75,000 and a higher heating value efficiency of 77%. It has a width of 28.25 inches, a height of 22 inches, and a depth of 19 inches.

The cheapest option among these three is the [I3100 Wood Burning Fireplace Insert by Regency](^6^), which costs around $2,500. The other two options are more expensive, ranging from $3,000 to $4,000. However, the price may vary depending on the dealer and the installation costs. I hope this helps you find the best wood fireplace insert for your home. 😊

Source: Conversation with Bing, 2/22/2024
(1) Ci2700 Contemporary Wood Burning Insert by Regency. https://www.regency-fire.com/en/Products/Wood/Wood-Inserts/CI2700.
(2) Large Flush Wood Rectangular NexGen-Hybrid™ | Made in America .... https://www.fireplacex.com/product/large-flush-wood-rectangular-nexgen-hybrid/.
(3) Fireplace Inserts Explained | Typical Sizing, Functionality & More!. https://www.regency-fire.com/en/Blog/Fireplace-Inserts-Explained.
(4) Fireplace Inserts Explained | Typical Sizing, Functionality & More!. https://www.regency-fire.com/en/Blog/Fireplace-Inserts-Explained.
(5) Looking for wood burning insert with largest possible view. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...ing-insert-with-largest-possible-view.162375/.
(6) Big Gas & Wood Fireplaces | Large Fireplace Designs by Acucraft. https://www.acucraft.com/large-wood-and-gas-fireplace-designs/.
(7) Fireplace Dimensions (Size & Measurement Guide) - Designing Idea. https://designingidea.com/fireplace-dimensions/.
(8) Fireplace Dimensions (Gas, Electric & Outdoor Fireplace). https://www.pickhvac.com/fireplace/dimensions/.

you won't see a return on investment if you go and change the insert. see if its possible to put a damper in your fireplace it should stop that smell. it does here

I don't have an insert currently.

Yes I already have a damper and it still smells due to negative pressure from house sometimes (bathroom and kitchen vents).

Yes ROI would be about 20-30 years if I can it total cost under $4k and reduce heating cost by $200/year.

All dependent on cost of wood as well... Seems like it went up $7 in 2-3 years for a wheelbarrow of oak. Of course buying by the cord would be cheaper. But I don't think I have enough space for a full cord.

I don't have an insert currently.

Yes I already have a damper and it still smells due to negative pressure from house sometimes (bathroom and kitchen vents).

Yes ROI would be about 20-30 years if I can it total cost under $4k and reduce heating cost by $200/year.

All dependent on cost of wood as well... Seems like it went up $7 in 2-3 years for a wheelbarrow of oak. Of course buying by the cord would be cheaper. But I don't think I have enough space for a full cord.

If you can't store a cord of wood you can't really get an insert. Once you buy your wood it needs to sit for a summer or longer to be dry enough to burn. Wood you buy is normally not ready to burn even though the dealer tells you it is.

There are balloon (blow up bag) flue closing "things" that may help to better keep the smell out.

Don't be sad. For ambiance, a fireplace is fantastic. If.you can get rid of the smell, you can enjoy it the way you like?

There's quite a range of climate conditions in "Socal", but if you live with the masses, I can't see you ever getting a return on your investment vs. natural gas. You also would have to question how many years your government will let you keep using it.

Do you have a rain cap on your chimney? That might help a lot. There may also be a way to better seal your damper, and more permanent methods like the flue balloon have already been mentioned. If you want to save money, maybe look into insulating and sealing. That will have a year-round payback in Socal, and CA houses of that vintage tend to be terribly insulated and sealed, so there may be some really low hanging fruit to be had there if no-one has gotten there before you.

Raincap was just put on this year after a sweep. We are in Mira Mesa which is a suburb of San Diego. Lot of great posts and suggestions here. Will need to reevaluate and think on this some more. Wife wants to keep the fireplace for XMas and NYE fires. We may just keep it open as it is the cheapest route at this point. Keep a couple logs to dry over summer for it. Thanks all!

Seems like it's CHEAPER for me to keep the fireplace open and burn the occasional "seasoned" firewood. 😢
better is subjective to your goals. If you’re handy and have safe roof access a diy insert install with insulated liner can be done for under $3000.

We burned ethanol in ethanol burners for a couple years. It was nice. We used three of these (or maybe the bigger one)

here is a cheap idea. just stuff the fire place with fiberglass wrapped in plastic after the damper is closed. spring here is awful with smell because of the temp difference. all you have to do is remember to pull it off before use.