Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cfran88

Jul 11, 2019
Central Ohio
We just bought some land so we're not really familiar with what species we have on the property. This was a fallen tree that we cut up this weekend. Fell over the winter according to seller, so no leaves. It was also fairly light weight. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Wood ID
    20200512_120745.jpg
    438.4 KB · Views: 164
  • Wood ID
    20200512_120751.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 177
  • Wood ID
    20200512_160232.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 160
  • Wood ID
    20200512_160229.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
You saying its light makes me think its cottonwood. Any pics of limbs/branches?

You saying its light makes me think its cottonwood. Any pics of limbs/branches?
Unfortunately no. The tree actually didn't have any from what I can recall. There are a lot of standing trees that don't have many branches up top, I'm assuming it died before it fell.

But I heard cottonwood smells like cat urine, right? Guess I'll find out really quickly! Fortunately, this was just gonna be firepit wood.

I'm leaning on cotton wood also, in any case, the inside of the wood is spalted (rotten)

Reactions: Lakeside
Oh man, that's too bad. I thought it was pretty good (there were some obviously rotted parts on the ends that touched the ground). It was firepit wood anyway so not a big loss.
Anytime you see those black vein like lines on the inside of the splits then it’s spalted

If its standing dead with grain like the last photo my guess is ash killed by Emerald Ash Borer.

I expect there is lot of land being sold with standing dead or dying ash. I do not have experience with EAB but reportedly it rots quick standing so get it down and processed