Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

therealdbeau

Burning Hunk
Oct 16, 2018
VA
Whataya think? Impossible to split down the middle, was only able to chunk off the edges like you see. Oh and the stuff laying around it is something else. Thanks
IMG_20200309_183356.jpg

Last edited:
What the heck -- 1st guess is a hickory, no expert here.

Thinking maple of some sort

My guess is some type of hickory (clearly not shagbark). Pignut hickory maybe.

Reactions: Lakeside
Thinking maple of some sort

That was my first choice but after a closer look and the comment about how hard it was I revised my guess. So far I think better then 60 percent right with my guesses. We hopfully will get a conclusion.

I think hickory, you're splitting it about the best way you can do it.

It looks like oak. But oak is easy to split.
Hickory is very hard/impossible to split by hand.

No distinct smell and definitely not oak. I know oak and this ain't it. It is surrounded by oak scraps in the picture if that's what made you think that.

looks like a hickory "yard tree" meaning the tree itself was in a more open area like a yard of very thin wooded area. Tree's that are solo, or in yards tend to grow with a twist as they are affected by prevailing winds and tend to get a few spins in the growth rings.
Maple seems to be the worst in the "yard tree" category, but I've also had some gnarly red oaks and hickory's time to time.

American Elm ? - very rare now days

Hickory, not a doubt in my mind.

American Elm? - very rare now days
Not here got lots of new dead (dutch elm disease)( last year)
Lots to be cut Big stuff Lots of new growth in the fence lines
It will die in 15 to 25 years Just keeps on coming back

Can I not edit after a certain amount of time? Anyway, adding more photos to help this along. Thanks all for the input. Few more notes: very stringy near the bark but seems to split fairly easily once that is out of the way.
Wood ID
Wood ID
Wood ID

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
It is surrounded by oak scraps in the picture if that's what made you think that.
Yeah, the other stuff looks like some White Oak, from what I can see.
I'm on the Hickory bandwagon, for the round in question. Although I've only IDed Shagbark and Pignut here (others range here as well,) I'm going to guess that this is Bitternut, one of the most common Hickories, based on the bark pics online, and the description I'm seeing in The Guide.

I still see maple of some sort. I however don't have hickory experience.

+1 for hickory - Bark + fine stringiness in split (See bottom pic in post #16) + reddish hue of heartwood seems characteristic for hickory.
Bark(thin, tight, shallow furrows) looks like bitternut hickory (C. cordiformis): https://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=18

Straight, knot-free hickory chunks hand split easily.
Great firewood.
. . . and great for smoking when grilling.

New pics -- hickory. Bitternut or pignut.