Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckitch

Feb 18, 2014
Michigan
Been cutting mostly ash but came across allot of this mixed in with the ash, maple and Poplar. Smooth bark and as heavy as ash but very wet. tree was alive when cut. Thanks [Hearth.com] Wood ID

Can't tell if that's got a pinkish color , but if its white I want to say aspen. Pinkish / red then beech.

Dang that's what I was afraid of cut about a cord of it very white inside. Was hoping it was some other kind of maple oh well it's already processed, it'll burn.

It may well be maple . That was also a possible as it is dark in the middle and the smaller trees have a smooth bark

Those growth rings are pretty tight. It has to be a pretty hard wood with rings like that. The bark sure looks like Beech to me. Can you get some more pics of the wood and the bark?

Zoomed up. Pretty sure it's grey beech. Great stuff. Hard to explain but my beech stacks are always very slippery and have actually slid sideways not really falling over. !!!Must be the bark.

I'm better at leaf identification ... but my first thought was beech based on the bark.

Ill have to get a couple more pics. Funny you say slippery that's exactly what I thought when I was stacking, it wanted to keep sliding down.

If you feel an overwhelming urge to carve your initials in it then it's Beech. Got my hands on some last year and it was heavy.

Status
Not open for further replies.