Wood id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

stoveliker

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2019
Long Island NY
Fresh Inside is a bit more yellow than I'm used of black locust.
Bark is not locust at all.
Cut and dried end looks a bit like locust...

Smells a bit.like pee.
Quite wet and heavy.

Any idea?

IMG_20240316_152655464_HDR.jpg IMG_20240316_152638737_HDR.jpg

Reactions: thewoodlands
Looks like locust. Is it dense and heavy?

Reactions: stoveliker
It's not fir, bark is far less of ridged than black locust here.
no thorns - or would thorns be only on younger branches or trees?
I counted and it's 50 years old.

SMell was also a bit off and color was more yellow less green than what I'm used to.

BUt folks seem to gravitate towards locust (either one), which is fine...

Smaller branch is the same tree. Almost looks like maple...

Second pic: bark of the lower one is the same, bark of the bigger round is black locust. To compare.

IMG_20240316_165944670_HDR.jpg IMG_20240316_165950161_HDR.jpg

Here's a honey locust from today.
732299948.jpg
My brother said he was bleeding before he lit up his saw.

No thorns here.
Mulberry would be nice.

I see my comparison pic doesn't show the difference in bark ridging well.

New try, bottom is locust. Ridged if an inch thick.
Top is unknown. Ridges of 1/4"

Maybe it's just flat locust :)

IMG_20240316_181805227_HDR.jpg

Hm, that'd be a bummer. Not very dry there tho; near the water.

Me too. It is mulberry. The yellow will turn red brown after UV exposure. Good firewood for a stove, lots of pops and sparks though so not for a fireplace.

That's nice to know!

Thank you all

Reactions: Prometeo
Staying with locust. I used to cut a lot of it. Was it hard on the saw? Grabby on the chain, dustly smaller chips vs nice clean big chips?

I have cut and split about a cord of locust from a few different trees, and it smells and looks just off, including the bark being not deeply ridged enough - that's why I asked.

Locust here does not have the flat-topped 1/4" ridges in the left pic of post #5; ridges are not flat, and are much deeper. And the color was more yellow, less green than black locust.

I think it's mulberry.

Anyway either is good :) and thanks all!

Reactions: Osage
I never sawed any mulberry. We don't have it down here in Dixie. The bark I don't recognize, but the wood is identical to locust.

Here is s song of this legendary tree.

They are rare these days in Georgia but they were here.

"Take mulberries, for example. In the not too distant past, mulberry trees were found growing in backyards throughout the state. Additionally, since they make super shade trees, they were also planted in city parks and school yards.

However, today, whether I am strolling through a quiet neighborhood or sun-dappled woodland, I rarely come across a mulberry tree. "

I've seen a couple in the woods in NE Georgia. I'd leave them for the wildlife .

Coming in late to chime in - definitely mulberry.

Thank you both!

This was easy to split. But it was a small scrounge with no knots.
Folks farther west have more of it an would be able to give a more general answer.

This was easy to split. But it was a small scrounge with no knots.
Folks farther west have more of it an would be able to give a more general answer.
I have been cutting standing dead for several years that normally shows around 15% moisture. Splitting is a piece of cake unless there is a crotch.
A lot of it has ants in the center which makes splitting even easier. A 24" round will normally split in half with one swing of the maul.