Wood iD. Silver maple?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
Me leaves left. Connecticut

Wood iD. Silver maple? Wood iD. Silver maple? Wood iD. Silver maple? Wood iD. Silver maple?

Highly doubt that's silver maple. Never seen any like that. I do see alot of oak leaves on the ground in the picture. Not great with I.d. the different species of oak yet. Still learning. Is the smaller diameter shaggy bark branch and the larger tighter bark stump from the same tree?

I'm first thought was shagbark to. But it doesn't quit look like the shagbark here. And if that brank and the stump are the same tree I'd lean towards some sort of oak

Highly doubt that's silver maple. Never seen any like that. I do see alot of oak leaves on the ground in the picture. Not great with I.d. the different species of oak yet. Still learning. Is the smaller diameter shaggy bark branch and the larger tighter bark stump from the same tree?
The stump is
the large stamp is from red oak ., just dropped it , explains a lot of oak leaves around

Ok, I think, after some research, this is Hickory. I had a lot of them on a property, but none was with bark this fluffy.

Looks just like the shagbark hickory bark all over my dad's place. Should be able to find a bunch of hickory nuts under it as well this time of year.

Shag bark Hickory...hands down the best heat output I've ever had out of any firewood, ever! Better than Locust IMO

Yep, Shagbark Hickory is the downed tree. Sharpen your saw and enjoy the BTUs!

Reactions: FTG-05
I have a huge maple tree in the backyard that has shag bark. I think mine is silver maple based on the leaf shape.

I’m not sure about the tree in the OP, but just saying there are shag bark maple trees too

Reactions: stoveliker