Maple id help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Welderman85

Feeling the Heat
Nov 1, 2017
Chesaning MI
Got a trailer load of this from a coworker. It could tell it was maple by the leaves but not sure what kind. I allready have a few years worth of wood cut and stacked but for free trailer loads I took it. Not sure on the type or how well it lasts in the wood pile.

Pic? Are you asking for the type of maple?

Got a trailer load of this from a coworker. It could tell it was maple by the leaves but not sure what kind. I allready have a few years worth of wood cut and stacked but for free trailer loads I took it. Not sure on the type or how well it lasts in the wood pile.

20231011_173524.jpg 20231011_173529.jpg 20231011_173522.jpg

I came here this morning to get help ID'ing a tree, and ironically, I think you're looking at the same species. Mine is very heavy. I was cutting up Ash, and this stuff, and this stuff was significantly heavier/denser than the ash. Like it's almost heavier than Oak. Maybe it's just full of water. But I was thinking either Beech or Silver Maple? After your post, i'm leaning Silver Maple...?

tree1.jpg tree.jpg

it seems silver maple has a smooth gray bark when younger, then it gets more scaly and shaggy as the tree matures.

There are MANY species of maple. In my area I would say this is red maple. I don't think it silver since I don't see the bark shagginess on the bigger rounds. Pic of a leaf would help.

If this was from my area I would call it silver maple. Red maple has a deeper tone to the Heartwood. That said Regional differences can make it difficult to positively ID from logs alone.

Reactions: patrickk222
i just split some, and it is indeed very wet inside, whereas the Ash is much dryer to the touch on a fresh split face. So I'm thinking the major difference in weight/density has more to do with moisture content, than BTU content/type of wood.

I'm new to maple but I obtained some at 2 places last week, 1) at a recycle center, and 2) in front of a school.
At first, I thought the wood was some sort of Ash. But I now know differently - maple leaves are the dead giveaway. I second what patrickk222 says about Sugar maple. The stuff I obtained (Sugar Maple) looked just like your pictures. The wood is white but not quite as white as ash, and it is dense. What a nice wood.

At the recycle center there were two maples dumped side-by-side. Both had green maple leaves. One was Sugar Maple and the other was Silver Maple. The Silver Maple appeared to be a little punky and was more cream colored, whereas the Hard Maple was solid everywhere, whitish, and heavy. Even though the Silver Maple was already cut into rounds, I focused on the Sugar Maple (some of which I had to cut). I could feel the quality of this wood.

The first pics look just like my red maple that grows like weeds around my property, I agree with Patrickk222 that the last two definitely look like oak.

pics 1,2,&3 are soft maple

Do you have any of the leaves left? This bark looks similar to a couple of sugar maples on my property, but I couldn't be sure without seeing a leaf.

1699558021547.png